The MT-07 Forum

ECU flash questions before sending in

XATTILAX

OK, very good advice for a new rider, etc. But I know you dont want to hear that. So... If your akro is the full system, made exclusively for the MT/FZ07 and has the included catalytic converter, then you don't need the reflash. If it's a 'slip on', you don't need the reflash, but if it's a full akro that includes the header pipes and NO catalytic converter, then yes, you do need the reflash. You should do your intake mod BEFORE you reflash, even if it's just the snork removal. Everytime you make any mod to the intake/exhaust you must reflash, other than just the slip on. It can get expensive to reflash over and over, so take the snork off first...it won't make that much difference in power, that you have to fear it, but it will save you some $. And my advice is to get a db killer. The sound difference isn't all that great (tho I do prefer the louder option), but more important is the loss of midrange power the lack of a db killer (baffle) will cause. No baffle will increase your top end, but at the expense of midrange power. And let's face it...we don't live at the extreme revs, unless we are tracking exclusively. Most of us live in the low and midrange, so that's where we want the throttle response and power. In order to meet the emissions regulations, the factories tune most motorcycles very 'lean' to begin with. When we modify the intake/exhaust, the bikes run even more 'lean'. That can quickly lead to valve damage, etc due to more airflow and no change in the gas flow. That's what flashing corrects, by increasing the fuel available when you 'give it the beans'. Akro made a FZ07 specific full system that was available from Yamaha dealers and included the catalytic converter. It even had the 'FZ07' badging on the can. That's the only full system that did not require a reflash. It should cost around $50 to reflash, at least that's what my dealer gets. Hope that helps. 

Ride fast, take chances!!  Just joking, fool.😜  Ride safely and do have fun. Ride your own ride and don't let your friends goad you into riding beyond your ability.

From looking at the pictures of the Akrapovic full exhaust, I don't see any catalytic converter...this means the airflow is almost totally unrestricted. That translates to more airflow without more fuel. As I said above, the factories are already tuning the bike 'lean' to comply with pollution requirements and mpg minimums. By adding more air flow, without more fuel, the bike is running even leaner...not good for the engine life. You must regulate the fuel. That does not neccessarily mean you need a fuel controller, but definitely at least a remap. Some think the ECU will compensate for the extra air; don't believe that, or do you feel lucky enough to risk the engine? Again, as I stated above, Akrapovic does make a full system exclusively for the FZ07 and it's available as an option from most Yamaha dealers, but it comes with it's own catalytic converter, which restricts the airflow somewhat. It's not nearly as loud as the full systems shown above and more expensive, too. I'm running a Yoshi R-77 stainless steel without a db killer and it sounds awesome. I'm often told my bike sounds like a Ducati or even a small V-8. People are amazed when I take off my helmet and they see an old fart with grey hair. I love the looks on their faces. I'll never grow up! Been riding since 1975, when I bough my first bike; a brand new 1975 Honda CB750 F supersport. I'v included a pic from the old days. Ahh...youth is wasted on the young.

1977-750-Four-Honda-Super-Sport-1024x767.jpg

• Like 4

Triple Jim

Yes, but you can probably have it put back to stock if needed.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:21 AM, Triple Jim said:

Yes, but you can probably have it put back to stock if needed.

I’m not so sure that’s 100% accurate. My understanding is that when an FZ/MT ECU is flashed, Yamaha’s proprietary software is completely overwritten and replaced by FTECU’s software (assuming the person doing the flashing is using a system licensed by FTECU, as is the case with 2WDW). 

You can later have the company (like 2WDW) reflash the ECU using settings similar to stock, but they can’t reinstall Yamaha’s factory software. My understanding is that a licensed Yamaha’s dealer is able to do that. But if you take them a bike with an ECU that’s been flashed back to stock on an FTECU system, they’ll know you fiddled with the ECU and it’s possible they won’t honor the warranty. 

I could be wrong but I believe that’s the case based on my conversations with 2WDW. 

You could buy a second ECU either new or used, use it for flashing and only install your original ECU when you take the bike to the dealer but then you run into the issue of the speedometer mileage not matching the mileage recorded in the ECU. 

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator
On 5/14/2021 at 8:00 PM, emmett said:

I take off my helmet and they see an old fart with grey hair. I love the looks on their faces

1977-750-Four-Honda-Super-Sport-1024x767.jpg

Emmett you really know how to let go & live, and that Supersport is you.

It's your spirit man! You bring everything with you, into the now where nothing is wasted