The MT-07 Forum

options for engine rebuild or swap

myfootisdumb

myfootisdumb

hello,

looks like I starved my engine of oil, thought the low oil light would have came on by now unless its a low oil pressure light...  took 1.5 quartwrs to get it in the middle of the window again. it died on the way home, had to push it 1/2. 

best rebuild kit or should i swap engine?

i think its the cylinder because it had a nailing noise.

id like to hear ur opinions

i took a video..

-Evan

Edited by myfootisdumb

M. Hausknecht

No such thing as a rebuild kit. You need to take the motor out, disassemble it, identify what is damaged, and determine if its worth replacing damaged parts. Head could be junk from camshafts running with insufficient oil and cylinders could be scored. That isn't a motor worth rebuilding, I suspect. If only damage is to rod and main bearings, count yourself lucky and buy what you need to reassemble and get to it. You'll need to figure out all the parts you need and then order them from the retailer of your choice.

I recently bought a complete used 07 motor with about 5000 miles on it for $1200. I pulled the head to port it, install higher lift cams, and check the cylinders; its just broken in. Good luck!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, myfootisdumb said:

looks like I starved my engine of oil...

i think its the cylinder because it had a nailing noise.

Remove the spark plugs, see if the engine can turn over - or if the pistons are seized up in the cylinders/excessive friction.

You just added some fresh oil, but if you drain it all out right now you may see excessive metal if in fact your rod and main bearings are damaged.

If it was my bike, I would want to diagnose as much as I could before going through the grief of removing the engine. For less than $30 I purchased a thing that plugs into your phone and lets you see into a spark plug hole (or plumbing, etc). Do a search for "Inspection Camera Endoscope" or "Inspection Camera Borescope"

The one I got was pretty crappy, the focus is only good when you are about half an inch away from what you are trying to see, but I can work with it to position it and make it work. These things have small LED lights that will illuminate what you are trying to look at - they work in a dark drain pipe, or into your engine. If you see scratch marks up and down the cylinder walls then you know there is damage.

https://www.amazon.com/Inspection-Endoscope-Borescope-Waterproof-Semi-Rigid/dp/B07YY5T4GY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Inspection+Camera+Endoscope&qid=1624024833&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Waterproof-Inspection-Megapixels-Smartphone/dp/B01MYTHWK4/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Inspection+Camera+Endoscope&qid=1624024833&sr=8-4

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 2

M. Hausknecht

"Nailing" noise could be a stuck  bucket, bad valve guide, or camshaft moving a bit. None will show up with a borescope.  I recently destroyed a piston and piston ring, damaged head and cylinder; oil came out looking just fine. There was no debris in the oil sump either.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Sound does seem to be coming from the head. Doesn't sound like cam chain being inadequately tensioned; tensioner is mechanical in any event and the two rubbing blocks don't need much oil. At least pull the cam cover, camshafts and buckets; you can do this much with the motor in the bike. 

myfootisdumb

thank you everyone for the input... im thinking it would be best just to replace the motor in my current situation..

thinking about just getting this

s-l400.jpg

2017/18 YAMAHA MT07 ABS FULL ENGINE MOTOR WITH UNDER 7897 KM...

seems easier to me than fiddling around with engine internals i dont even kno what to look for ever done anything with internals.. seems like id just have to drain fluids, detach old motor, drop this in and reattach everything and put new fluids in.. to get myself back riding quicker too. im thinkinf i wouldnt need any special tools either. im also unsure if id have to do anythinf about the ecu or just hook the cables back up.. trying to make this as simple as possible without buying a new bike 😁

i know some of the mt-07 have restrictions, as california models do.. i saw different engine models some whwre but cant remember whwre i saw them

Edited by myfootisdumb

myfootisdumb

the bike is a 2018 has ABS, seems like it does matter not sure if i can get other years or not but looking for direct replacement

M. Hausknecht

The CP2 motor for all models of Yamaha 07 is the same. The motor doesn't know if the bike has ABS brakes or not, or California emissions stuff (not likely on a bike from the UK in any event). Used motors are a crap shoot. This one has some damage to the coolant pipes and side cover on the clutch side but doesn't look serious. There is some rust on the exhaust studs, suggesting it might have been stored someplace damp.