The MT-07 Forum

MT 07 for a heavy rider

0xefro

Hello guys, I would ask you something, I know this question was asked many times but really I dont get it completely, because of my weak mechanical knowledge, sorry.

My height and weight are 6.2ft and 260lbs. In 2 weeks I'll get a new mt 07 2021. I read many times that this bike has some type of problems with its suspensions. Is it really a problem for a begginer rider? What about ride this bike with my weight?  What should I do if I only gonna ride this bike on city and autobahn?

Thank in advance mates!

I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. With full gear I'm probably about 230lbs. All my camping gear/luggage would put me around 260lbs. My stock 2016 hauled me around just fine. I know one guy, with stock suspension, that toured with his gf and luggage for two. He also had the first gen FZ, not the later MT that received some suspension updates. 

The stock suspension ain't the greatest, but it's comfy and does just fine for normal riding around. People are the internet complain about things too much ( I'm guilty!), so don't let it scare you. 

• Like 2

Triple Jim

The newer MT version has stiffer suspension than the older FZs did.  If you adjust the rear preload setting for your weight, I don't expect you'll have any difficulties.

Welcome to the board!

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

You'll be fine and have a ball riding. These things are willing and eager starting points to high adventure and learning. The interwebs is around to help should your addiction get out of control at some point. Until then enjoy the best entry in the class. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I'm 6'2" and 220lbs. With full gear I'm probably about 230lbs. All my camping gear/luggage would put me around 260lbs. My stock 2016 hauled me around just fine. I know one guy, with stock suspension, that toured with his gf and luggage for two. He also had the first gen FZ, not the later MT that received some suspension updates. 

The stock suspension ain't the greatest, but it's comfy and does just fine for normal riding around. People are the internet complain about things too much ( I'm guilty!), so don't let it scare you. 

I can confirm that. Although I only put about 150 miles on my new-to-me FZ, but the suspension could be a bit stiffer. Nothing that really bothers me since I'm no racer and use my FZ for commuting and some weekend trips with my Son. That being said, I'm about 6' 195lbs and my son is about 70lbs. I also have soft saddle bags and a top case mounted on my FZ and it does pretty good around here in potthole-covered MN. Could be better, could be worse. I think you'll be fine on the MT.

• Like 1

Thank you mates! Now Im more relaxed :D

Good points yours, I suppose that to start on this world I have not to do nothing at the moment,  I was excesively worried about this topic, you can imagine me, reading about all this after buy the bike haha

Cheers!

• Like 1

Bigturbomax
1 minute ago, 0xefro said:

Thank you mates! Now Im more relaxed :D

Good points yours, I suppose that to start on this world I have not to do nothing at the moment,  I was excesively worried about this topic, you can imagine me, reading about all this after buy the bike haha

Cheers!

Enjoy your new bike and welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

I'm 260 lbs and have no issues with my 2020 MT-07. I did sfiffen up the rear shock a few clicks. Handles great on the twisties and the freeway.

Jeff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffL said:

I'm 260 lbs and have no issues with my 2020 MT-07. I did sfiffen up the rear shock a few clicks. Handles great on the twisties and the freeway.

Jeff

That is great mate, can I ask you what is your riding style? How the bike handles when you increase speed on city/autobahn?

Cheers!

I have a 2015 Fz-07 with stock suspension, I weigh 270lbs. My Fz-07 hauls my big ass pretty well. I'm sure at this stage I'm due for a suspension update. I'll most likely upgrade to something a tad stiffer. You'll be fine with your FZ.

Enjoy your new bike!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0xefro said:

That is great mate, can I ask you what is your riding style? How the bike handles when you increase speed on city/autobahn?

Cheers!

I am not as aggresive as I used to be (getting up there in age!). I'm a casual rider I guess. The bike handles great when increasing speed. It's very responsive. My previous bike was a 2003 FZ-1, which had a lot more horsepower, but The MT-07 still has great pull when you need it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JMPFZ07 said:

I have a 2015 Fz-07 with stock suspension, I weigh 270lbs. My Fz-07 hauls my big ass pretty well. I'm sure at this stage I'm due for a suspension update. I'll most likely upgrade to something a tad stiffer. You'll be fine with your FZ.

Enjoy your new bike!

Thank you mate! btw did you modified some side on the bike? Today I was talking with a guy from my concessionaire, he told me they gonna adjust the rear stiffness and change oil on the front in my bike when it comes, not sure if its a normal procedure, because never bought a bike before.

Cheers!

19 hours ago, JeffL said:

I am not as aggresive as I used to be (getting up there in age!). I'm a casual rider I guess. The bike handles great when increasing speed. It's very responsive. My previous bike was a 2003 FZ-1, which had a lot more horsepower, but The MT-07 still has great pull when you need it.

Ok!  The instant responsiveness on this bike has to be the most enjoyable thing in the world haha I can't wait to get mine! In my case I like to be some aggresive driving at least with the car, I will going carefuly at beggining with my first bike :D

Cheers!

6 minutes ago, 0xefro said:

Thank you mate! btw did you modified some side on the bike? Today I was talking with a guy from my concessionaire, he told me they gonna adjust the rear stiffness and change oil on the front in my bike when it comes, not sure if its a normal procedure, because never bought a bike before.

Cheers!

The rear stock shock (15K Miles on it) is adjustable, I adjusted mine to be stiffer. It just wasn't enough for me so I'm going with something else. It was also recommended that if I want the front end to be bit less pogo-ish I can add a thicker oil to the front forks to help out. I'm planning on thicker oil and new fork internals. Maybe K-tech.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JMPFZ07 said:

The rear stock shock (15K Miles on it) is adjustable, I adjusted mine to be stiffer. It just wasn't enough for me so I'm going with something else. It was also recommended that if I want the front end to be bit less pogo-ish I can add a thicker oil to the front forks to help out. I'm planning on thicker oil and new fork internals. Maybe K-tech.

Nice, so at beggining it was enough for you adjusting only the rear stock shock? I heard good opinions about K-tech, is there really so much difference between stock shock and use a custom one like a K-tech shock?

Cheers!

18 minutes ago, 0xefro said:

Nice, so at beggining it was enough for you adjusting only the rear stock shock? I heard good opinions about K-tech, is there really so much difference between stock shock and use a custom one like a K-tech shock?

Cheers!

I purchased the bike with 5k miles, so it wasn't as noticeable since I was getting used to the FZ. It wasn't until I did some canyon riding I noticed the pogo-ish front end and soft rear. I adjusted the rear shock, but it wasn't enough. I haven't pulled the trigger on a rear shock and the front end internals just yet. K-tech was recommended by a buddy of mine. I mean I can also go with Ohlins, but I don't want to fork up all that dough. I think an upgrade to any stock part is good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JMPFZ07 said:

I purchased the bike with 5k miles, so it wasn't as noticeable since I was getting used to the FZ. It wasn't until I did some canyon riding I noticed the pogo-ish front end and soft rear. I adjusted the rear shock, but it wasn't enough. I haven't pulled the trigger on a rear shock and the front end internals just yet. K-tech was recommended by a buddy of mine. I mean I can also go with Ohlins, but I don't want to fork up all that dough. I think an upgrade to any stock part is good.

So you are fast rider, I like that. It gives me a point of view about what to do on the next months with the bike hehe thanks mate. 

Cheers!

• Haha 1