The MT-07 Forum

Clean and lube throttle, clutch and brake cables

foochi

Hello! New member, bike owner and rider here!

I recently bought a 2015 fz 07 and I've been learning to do maintenance on it and I was about to lube the cables but was wondering if I could spray something in there to clean it up a bit with something like wd40 then lube with maxima chain wax?

My 2020 owner's manual says:

Recommended lubricant:
Yamaha cable lubricant or other
suitable cable lubricant

I would hesitate to use maxima chain wax because of its gummy nature.  If you use one of those clamp-on cable lube devices, any lube spray should flush out dirt that's gotten in there.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

My 2020 owner's manual says:

I would hesitate to use maxima chain wax because of its gummy nature.  If you use one of those clamp-on cable lube devices, any lube spray should flush out dirt that's gotten in there.

Thanks. It didn’t even come with a manual 😓 I’ll have to go find one online.

I do have one of those clamp on cable devices to use.

What about Liquid Wrench brand silicone spray?

5 minutes ago, stickshift said:

The workshop manual recommends a few drops of engine oil or a suitable cable lubricant (only if the cable is damaged or there's rough movement) :

Niiiiice. It doesn’t feel rough but it does feel a little sticky which is why I wanted to clean it first before lubing.

• Like 1

Yeah, you definitely don't want to use maxima chain wax for this. I use that stuff to protect cylinder walls when I'm sand blasting the outside of cylinders on engine rebuilds. I trust it that much. The film/buildup is too strong for what you want to do. 

I use Cable Life on my stuff. No particular reason to choose that brand, it's just what was handy local. I think it was about $5 at the bike shop, but I've seen it Walmart and lots of auto parts stores. My can is about 10yrs old and still feels about half full and I usually have half a dozen bikes + random buddy's bikes that I maintain. It lasts a long time! A lil dab will do ya 

4e4d3d83-7f3f-4232-8398-f3edabe8a99f_1.db7e9067651ce8489fcc905d179470bf.jpeg.8b93ea3863e4557687ef0430daef4c33.jpeg

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1