The MT-07 Forum

Mystery short after jumping the battery

Rastus

Hello all,

I'm new here and I hate for my first post to be a "help plz" but I'm a little desperate. My bike went down right after my daily driver went to the shop for an unknown amount of time.

I'll try to be thorough and concise. I woke up this morning to my 2016 FZ07 completely dead. I tried bump starting with no success, and proceeded to try to jump the bike via a standalone charger at 20a. I was in a huge rush because I was late for work and failed to turn off the ignition..idiot, I know. The cable slipped and made some cool zappy noises. Now my turn signals and everything else attached to the indicator circuit don't work. Obviously I checked the fuse and it was blown. When I replaced it, the next one immediately blew when I turned on the ignition.

I'm the second owner, PO installed a tail tidy and flush mount LED front signals. No other mods aside from an ebay special exhaust (insert eye roll here). My first and only step thus far has been to totally remove everything in the rear end from the circuit by unplugging it. That didn't help and the fuse is still blowing when ignition is turned on. I need the bike to get to work day after tomorrow so I'm hoping someone can tell me what my next steps should be. Obviously I'm suspicious of the turn signals but I'm new to wrenching on a motorcycle and electrical gremlins. 

Sorry again for the poor me help post. I've googled for hours to no avail

• Like 1

Cool zappy noises are for Saturday morning cartoons. I wish I had better news but egad your life sucks.

Ordinarily I'd say you have a short somewhere. Be methodical and check every wire, connection, terminal and relay until found, no problem.

In your case I'd line up an Uber or another ride for work just in case. 

Obviously the fix is the same but I'd be extra nosey around anything not stock or unmolested like the tail tidy and LED's.

Take a deep breath, open a beer, and get to it. Skip nothing, assume nothing. A 12 volt test light and a multi meter will be your companions today. Have another beer.

Good luck. 

• Like 2

An old trick is to put a 12v light bulb where the fuse goes, so it lights.  Since it shouldn't light under normal circumstances, you then go about your troubleshooting until you make the light go out.  This saves a lot of fuses, among other things.

You said the turn signals and other things on that circuit don't work, but does the engine start and run?

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rastus said:

Now my turn signals and everything else attached to the indicator circuit don't work.

Whats the name and rating of the actually blown fuse?

There is nothing else attached to the indicator circuit, ONLY the turn signal relay, the switch and the indicators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElGonzales said:

There is nothing else attached to the indicator circuit, ONLY the turn signal relay, the switch and the indicators.

If he has LED's there should be a load cell somewhere, I hate those things. People mess up a lot of wiring harnesses putting Chidunkjunk accessories on their bikes unless they know what they're doing, buy the right stuff and most importantly know what they're doing with a tool in their hand. 

That's why I always say check everything carefully, skip or assume nothing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mossrider said:

If he has LED's there should be a load cell somewhere, I hate those things. People mess up a lot of wiring harnesses putting Chidunkjunk accessories on their bikes unless they know what they're doing, buy the right stuff and most importantly know what they're doing with a tool in their hand. 

That's why I always say check everything carefully, skip or assume nothing.

Yeah, with the original relay there should be additional resistors to simulate the load  of bulbs  OR somebody replaced the relay by one which is able to work with low LED currents.
But I am really curious to know what "everything else attached to the indicator circuit" is ;)

People sometimes like to search for errors in a completely wrong direction.

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 1