The MT-07 Forum

First Ever Track Day

seven

Tomorrow I am going to my first ever track day on a motorcycle (novice group of course). The goals are pretty simple, first and foremost is return home with myself and bike in proper working condition and then I hope I learn something and have fun. As I have to ride my bike to the track (about an hour away) I do not have a support vehicle to carry extra stuff so I need to pack smart.

Looking for some advice on what I should take with me. Current list is:

• brake fluid
  • oil
  • coolant
  • small assortment of tools (hex bit, sockets, ratchet, open & box end wrenches)
  • tubing and catchcan for bleeding brakes (I actually use catheter supplies for this
  • tire pressure gauge
  • rags

For myself I will wear all my normal gear but have arranged to borrow a race suit while on track. Will take a pair of runners, some small snacks (granola bars) and my hydration backpack (I won't wear it while on track) and maybe some extra clothes if I can fit them.

What am I missing? Any other suggestions?

• Like 1

nice, going to Gimli? I am in Winnipeg as well. as long as you have a suit, boots and, gloves you should be set. the other stuff is really handy to have and I'm sure the guys there will be able to help you out. I just tracked my Nissan 370z the other day and brought the same stuff basically. all I can say is bring LOTS of water it gets hot. and food is a must as well... Enjoy the track man, give us an update after the day is done. I really wanna bring my FZ there too!

Wow, good for you! Bring water, snacks, some fruit and a smile. You're gonna have fun.

Leave the brake fluid, oil, coolant home since you should have that done or do it the day before. Bleed your brakes today too if you think you need to. At your first track day that's too much to worry about. If your bike can safely carry you an hour to the track it should be good. A tire gauge is a must have.

You're gonna get about 6 or 8 sessions and won't have time for that other stuff. Look up an instructor or control rider to bug with questions and advice. 

Stay hydrated, get rest between sessions and pay attention at the riders meeting, they'll cover most of your questions.

Dave

• Like 2

@Fz07Tyler yup went to Gimli

Had a great first ever track day on my motorcycle and I hit all my goals. The bike and I made it home in perfect working order (about 375km including 125km each way to toget to/from the track), I think I learned a bit and I had fun. I was by far the slowest person on the track (novice group of course) and it upset some of the other riders as there was a rule that you only pass on the front straight so a number of them would have a lap ruined having to follow me. I always made sure to start at the back of the pack. I ended up having people passing my at other points on the track though.

At one point one of the other riders came to have a chat with me because I would keep looking behind. He told me to stop doing that and just pay attention to the track ahead as it is the rider behind who has to pass when safe that the rider ahead has the line. Where that caught me out though was if I got off line a couple riders would take the opportunity to pass (again not on the front straight) so I became hesitant to get back on line without a shoulder check as I didn't want to collide with someone. It is tough to trust that the other rider will do the right thing but in my final session I really tried to put that advice to use.

I did have a couple little offs into the grass. For those that do not know the track, it is built on an old runway in a field so all the run off areas are just grass fields. Both times I know I had under committed to the corner so I just straightened up the bike to exit the track as gracefully as I coule, got slowed enough to eventually rejoin the track safely.

Sadly my GoPro mounting wasn't the best and of the 6 sessions it is only the last one where I got the camera locked in so that it didn't either flip forward or flip backward. I mounted to the front fender which was a neat perspective.

I now understand the desire for a quicker ratio throttle. In particular on this track coming out of turn 9 (final turn heading to the front straight), I have to wait until on the front straight to adjust my grip so that I can properly go full throttle. So of that is my comfort level adjusting my hand position, and or poor technique.

Here is the video of my final session. Please keep in mind that this is the first time I have ever been to a track and I have only had a motorcycle license for a year...I know my lines are terrible, that I am not getting on the throttle early enough and that I am on the brakes too early, but I rode just outside of my comfort level, trying to push myself in a controlled manner. But I am open to any suggestions on how to progress. Sorry I did not trim the video so you need to skip in a bit to get to the actual riding part...at about 2:30 is when I get out to start my lapping. You will also see that parts of the track are really bumpy.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, seven said:

Had a great first ever track day on my motorcycle and I hit all my goals. 

Well done for giving it a go, and learning lots.

Don't be too hard on yourself - your riding and self-analysis is 100% typical of a novice track rider at their first track day. We were all there once.

Through experience you'll gain extra skill and speed, there's no other way or shortcuts to get there.

You have a great attitude of wanting to learn more from your track experience.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, seven said:

Had a great first ever track day on my motorcycle and I hit all my goals. The bike and I made it home in perfect working order (about 375km including 125km each way to toget to/from the track), I think I learned a bit and I had fun. I was by far the slowest person on the track (novice group of course) and it upset some of the other riders as there was a rule that you only pass on the front straight so a number of them would have a lap ruined having to follow me. I always made sure to start at the back of the pack. I ended up having people passing my at other points on the track though.

At one point one of the other riders came to have a chat with me because I would keep looking behind. He told me to stop doing that and just pay attention to the track ahead as it is the rider behind who has to pass when safe that the rider ahead has the line. Where that caught me out though was if I got off line a couple riders would take the opportunity to pass (again not on the front straight) so I became hesitant to get back on line without a shoulder check as I didn't want to collide with someone. It is tough to trust that the other rider will do the right thing but in my final session I really tried to put that advice to use.

I did have a couple little offs into the grass. For those that do not know the track, it is built on an old runway in a field so all the run off areas are just grass fields. Both times I know I had under committed to the corner so I just straightened up the bike to exit the track as gracefully as I coule, got slowed enough to eventually rejoin the track safely.

Sadly my GoPro mounting wasn't the best and of the 6 sessions it is only the last one where I got the camera locked in so that it didn't either flip forward or flip backward. I mounted to the front fender which was a neat perspective.

I now understand the desire for a quicker ratio throttle. In particular on this track coming out of turn 9 (final turn heading to the front straight), I have to wait until on the front straight to adjust my grip so that I can properly go full throttle. So of that is my comfort level adjusting my hand position, and or poor technique.

Here is the video of my final session. Please keep in mind that this is the first time I have ever been to a track and I have only had a motorcycle license for a year...I know my lines are terrible, that I am not getting on the throttle early enough and that I am on the brakes too early, but I rode just outside of my comfort level, trying to push myself in a controlled manner. But I am open to any suggestions on how to progress. Sorry I did not trim the video so you need to skip in a bit to get to the actual riding part...at about 2:30 is when I get out to start my lapping. You will also see that parts of the track are really bumpy.

Nice man, good to see you get out there. Do you have instagram or something we can connect on? maybe we can ride sometime seeing as how were both in winnipeg haha.

5 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

how do you feel your body positioning was during the day, and did you improve as the day went on ?

Honestly I didn't really focus on body positioning too much this time but I did a little. Heck, the first half of the day I wasn't even tucking on the straights. I was mostly trying to focus on looking ahead, through the corners and adjusting my lines. I have done several lapping days in the past at the track in a car so the lines are a bit different...or at least the perspective is different. At least I was familiar with the track so that helped with having one less thing to learn.

Next time out I will try to add in some more body positioning.