The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 headlight lens

RyanS93

After owning this bike for three years now I finally decided to upgrade to a led headlight.....but it seems I was a bit to late on my decision.

It appears that the heat from the stock bulb (along with bug stikes) has melted the clear coat on the lens. Though it does not affect the beam pattern or integrity of the lens, it does not look good. 

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and if so what was the fix if there is one. I'd like to avoid buying a new headlight assembly if possible. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, RyanS93 said:

After owning this bike for three years now I finally decided to upgrade to a led headlight.....but it seems I was a bit to late on my decision.

It appears that the heat from the stock bulb (along with bug stikes) has melted the clear coat on the lens. Though it does not affect the beam pattern or integrity of the lens, it does not look good. 

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this and if so what was the fix if there is one. I'd like to avoid buying a new headlight assembly if possible. 

Post a picture? Is it mostly sun fading or is it really damaged from the inside?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

If all the wear and tear is on the outside you should be able to refresh it with one of those automotive headlight restoration kits.  Or if you have the supplies, just need to wet sand and polish the plastic back to life. 

• Thanks 1

Here's a decently bad picture of how it looks; its worse in person. But it's like the clear coat at the beam focal point kinda melted away. And yes it seems to be all exterior. So I guess wet sanding to a high grit and maybe a clear vinyl. I just know the clear coat put on plastic  lenses usually is to protect from uv.

20210727_221802~2.jpg

I have no clue I will say with the stock bulb I could see rain steam off of it and it would be dry in seconds when washing it. 

Could a kid have been trying to help clean it?  A friend has a son who saw a studded tire somewhere and put a dozen or so drywall screws into his motorcycle tire to help him get good traction.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Could a kid have been trying to help clean it?  A friend has a son who saw a studded tire somewhere and put a dozen or so drywall screws into his motorcycle tire to help him get good traction.

No while thats comical and maddening I am the only one touching it and have only used water microfiber cloths and soap from chemical guys. 

• Like 1

Admittedly I'm not seeing it in person like you are, but I can see coarse scratches all over that lens, and they're not random.  There are parallel lines that indicate something abrasive was rubbed over it, and not a little bit.  I wonder if someone did something to it in a parking lot when you weren't around, or something like that.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

That looks to be beyond hope to me? I just looked at: www.partzilla.com.  They have a new OEM headlight assembly in stock (you cant't buy just the lens) for $137.50. That's less than most the aftermarket ones on eBay. Maybe consider upgrading an LED bulb at the same time? They make LED bulbs with built-in cooling fans. I have noticed the OEM bulb produces quite a bit of heat. I just ordered an LED bulb for mine 😎. Good luck-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I've decided to try and salvage it first by using a 3M headlight restoration kit and I've also ordered 2 of lamin-x's headlight films if it buffs out well to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

• Like 1

Success!! All of the issues buffed right out really happy with how it turned out near factory finish. 

20210731_102416.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work Ryan!  Did you just do a progressively finer sanding and then a buff with polishing compound, or was there a clear coat involved?  It's great to see such a good result.

3 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Excellent work Ryan!  Did you just do a progressively finer sanding and then a buff with polishing compound, or was there a clear coat involved?  It's great to see such a good result.

I used the 3M kit and it used a progressive sanding from 300-3000 grit then a clear coat wipe.

I don't know if I would have preferred polishing over the clear coat method unless I had done both but I'm glad the results are this good

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RyanS93 said:

I don't know if I would have preferred polishing over the clear coat method unless I had done both but I'm glad the results are this good

The clear coat may be designed to add some UV resistance, I don't know.  That would be the hope.  Some plastics are a little better than others in that regard, but I don't know what our headlight lenses are made of.  Polycarbonate maybe?

I guess your kit has enough materials to do another headlight or two as well, doesn't it?

8 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

The clear coat may be designed to add some UV resistance, I don't know.  That would be the hope.  Some plastics are a little better than others in that regard, but I don't know what our headlight lenses are made of.  Polycarbonate maybe?

I guess your kit has enough materials to do another headlight or two as well, doesn't it?

The clear coat wipes do say 'extreme UV protection' and yes this kit is good to do this only twice (technically once bc of the wipes)  but you can reuse the rest of it and buy new wipes (AdvanceAutoParts where I bought it had more) so technically you can continue to do to all of your vehicles on one kit. 

• Like 1

I don't  think I've asked you before... about where are you?  I'm about and hour and a quarter north of Raleigh.

• Like 1

About an hour and a half north of Raleigh lol. Which just happens to be my daily commute 

Edited by RyanS93

9 hours ago, RyanS93 said:

Success!! All of the issues buffed right out really happy with how it turned out near factory finish. 

20210731_102416.jpg

That's honestly a shockingly awesome result! I've cleared quite a few lens ( I miss glass sealed beams!), but never had one perfectly crystal clear like that. Nice work, man! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1