The MT-07 Forum

Average rpm at 60mph

JacobJ265@gmail.co

JacobJ265@gmail.co

Hey yellow, I'm a noob. Just got my first bike, used 2017 fz07 3900 miles. The bike is mint, absolutely nothing wrong with it visually or with the engine as far as I'm aware. I've taken it on short ride on the country roads where I live but haven't taken it on the highway yet because at the time I hadn't got my learner permit yet. Now that I have everything I need I'm planning on going riding this weekend but I noticed that while on a straight back road I had the bike is 6th gear and it seemed like it was really working to go that speed. I'm basing this solely on sound, the bike felt smooth. I can't remember what the rpms were at but I'll find that out tonight.. It has aftermarket full exhaust with no baffle. So it's loud anyway.. What I'm wanting to know is if you guys are cruising at let's say 60 mph on a straight road not uphill or down and in 6th gear roughly what rpms are you sitting at. Mine could be totally normal and it's just because I'm not used to higher revving engines or motorcycles in general that I feel this way but I would just like some other people's opinions to help ease my mind. Thanks guys.

Edited by JacobJ265@gmail.co

20 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

You might find this site useful:

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1600 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

I checked 3 of my bikes (based entirely on 1st gear redline), checks out.

Edited by yamahazaki

1 hour ago, JacobJ265@gmail.co said:

let's say 60 mph on a straight road not uphill or down and in 6th gear roughly what rpms are you sitting at.

Since this is a manual transmission and there's nothing causing slip, going uphill or downhill or level won't change the 60 mph rpm.

JacobJ265@gmail.co

I haven't checked the sites you recommended yet just thought I would update. I just got back from riding and in 6th gear going 55-60 I was somewhere in the 5k. And I think it was just me not being used to how high the engine revvs and how loud it is. Because the "eco"light was on on the dash which I interpret as fuel efficient "less stress" mode. 

5K seems a bit high for 6th gear to me at 60mph.  I don't pay much attention to be honest, but I think somewhere around 4k is what I run at that combo.  I typically will not be in 6th gear at 60mph.  I like to stay a bit higher in the rev range at any given speed, such that I'm around 4.5k to 5k.  This keeps power "in the hand" so to speak just in case I need it.  I could see cruising along in 6th gear on the interstate or highway, but not for general driving.  you would definitely have the eco mode engaged at that gear+speed.  

Edited by Zephyr

I cruise around in 6th on back roads all the time.  It gets me great gas mileage at around 60-64 mpg as measured by pump gallons and GPS miles.   If I want more acceleration than 6th provides I have several lower gears.   :)

Around 5k is more the rpm at 70mph.  Seems to me that you may have a non-standard sprocket somewhere in there for lower gearing. 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

@JacobJ265@gmail.co what positon is your shock set at? If your a beginner set it low (spanner under pillion seat) and work your way up. To answer your question, listen to the bike as your riding, if it sounds good thats good, just dont run out of fuel. Have fun

JacobJ265@gmail.co

@ooRAH do you mean set the preload on the rear? By low do you mean releasing pressure off the spring as much as possible? 

And just another little update here, the last time I commented about the rpms my numbers weren't accurate because I was just glancing down in the middle of driving. I wasn't actually holding a certain speed and taking note of what my revs were. So in 6th gear at exactly 55 mph my rpms were at around 4500 so I'm assuming if I throttled up to 5k that would take me probably past 60mph and it seems like the bike does fine its just me being paranoid and not used to the way an engine that revs that high sounds.

I want to hear from you guys though because at some point I'm going to be taking this bike on expressways and interstates. Not for long stretches but maybe 15 or 20 miles. The speed limit on these roads are 70mph roughly what rpms would your guys bikes run at 70.

Also, I got this bike used and it already has a full yoshi system on it but I don't know if the guy tuned it. Is there a way to tell. Some times when I'm downshifting when I go to blip the throttle it cuts out for just a split second. Not very often but sometimes, no excessive popping or backfiring. Thanks for all your help so far guys.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 12:33 AM, JacobJ265@gmail.co said:

I haven't checked the sites you recommended yet just thought I would update. I just got back from riding and in 6th gear going 55-60 I was somewhere in the 5k. And I think it was just me not being used to how high the engine revvs and how loud it is. Because the "eco"light was on on the dash which I interpret as fuel efficient "less stress" mode. 

I ran mine up to 70mph today when the tacho showed about 4800 - 4900.  60mph was around 4100 - 4200. I still consider that your bike has modified lower gearing.

Just do it!