The MT-07 Forum

What bars?

Grant31781

I get some hand numbness mainly in my throttle hand after 30 mins or so of riding. Its strange being that my 450L which vibrates a lot more doesn't cause numbness. The MT bars seems to sweep back a good bit and I notice my wrist is cocked out to the right  rather than straight. I did install some 1.25" risers which helped some. 

What would be a good bar bend  with a bit less sweep that is a tad taller? I am not sure how much taller I could go due to the stock cable length with the risers. It felt like that was about all I could raise them.

Have you tried gripping the bar so that your wrist is not bent backwards?  That is, not bent like you're holding the throttle open.  That position tends to squeeze the nerves where they go through the carpal tunnel.

If what I'm saying is the problem, you'll notice the numbness worst in your thumb and index finger, and it can progress as far as your ring finger.

My wrists couldn't take the stock bars either. I ended up with ProTaper Adventure bars, not the Adventure High's. They're 1 1/8 bars, so you need adapters ( $20). The adapters lift the bars some. Adapters+ the bars = the limit of the stock cables, but it works.

If you can stick with 7/8 bars you won't have to relocate the dash. With bar adapters the stock dash mount won't reach to hook back up, but the wiring is fine. 

I'm 6'2" and would've ended up selling the bike if I didn't fit these bars. 

2 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Have you tried gripping the bar so that your wrist is not bent backwards?  That is, not bent like you're holding the throttle open.  That position tends to squeeze the nerves where they go through the carpal tunnel.

If what I'm saying is the problem, you'll notice the numbness worst in your thumb and index finger, and it can progress as far as your ring finger.

Yes I always adjust my hands so my wrist is not bent. It is at a side angle to have  my hand properly on the bar. A wider bar would help.

I'm 5 foot 7 but still feel like the bars are too far forward and down for a longer ride. 

23 minutes ago, Grant31781 said:

I'm 5 foot 7 but still feel like the bars are too far forward and down for a longer ride. 

This shows how different we all are.  I'm 6'2" tall and find everything about my MT to be essentially perfect for my comfort.  I hope you can get things to where they're as comfortable for you.

Do you ride with gloves or no, I know its strange but if I ride with no gloves my wrist hurt. If I throw on a pair of even the thinnest gloves I have, the palm is literally a single layer of suede, the pain is gone. 

I am 6'0" and the 2019 bars feel just a little narrow, guess I got used to the bars on the Super Tenere. I will be looking into about 1"-1.5" taller bars and something about 2" wider on each end. 

This is what I used. Pro Taper 7/8" To 1 1/8" Universal Handlebar Conversion Kit Pro Taper 7/8" To 1 1/8" Universal Handlebar Conversion Kit | 10% ($4.00) Off! - RevZilla With the Pro Taper Evo Adventure Handlebars 1-1/8" Big difference from stock. I have added Crampbuster CB4 Black Throttle Mounted Motorcycle Cruise Assist for both sides and ODI Rogue MX Grips. The vibration has been reduced 90%.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, Grant31781 said:

I get some hand numbness mainly in my throttle hand after 30 mins or so of riding.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:01 AM, Triple Jim said:

That position tends to squeeze the nerves where they go through the carpal tunnel.

FWIW, I've been dealing with numbness for years on both motorcycles and bicycles especially for the first 15-30 minutes of riding. For some reason I never associated that with carpal tunnel issues. I would just shake my arms, sometimes a lot, and it would usually go away.

Fast forward a bunch of years, I started to have very obvious carpal tunnel issues which necessitated operations on both hands.

My surprise perk from those operations was that my numb hands are history on 2-wheelers. I haven't had a single moment of numb hands since the operations.

FYI.... I've read that arguably the biggest determinate of carpal tunnel isn't "repetitive motion" as most think, but heredity. I'm from a family of five, and four of us have had the operations, and my mother kept putting it off resulting in her having partially crippled hands

FYI-2... Do your research on your hand doctor as some are better than others. The good news is that the operation has a high success rate with a good surgeon.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 9:15 AM, shinyribs said:

My wrists couldn't take the stock bars either. I ended up with ProTaper Adventure bars, not the Adventure High's. They're 1 1/8 bars, so you need adapters ( $20). The adapters lift the bars some. Adapters+ the bars = the limit of the stock cables, but it works.

If you can stick with 7/8 bars you won't have to relocate the dash. With bar adapters the stock dash mount won't reach to hook back up, but the wiring is fine. 

I'm 6'2" and would've ended up selling the bike if I didn't fit these bars. 

Also, 2021 has fat bars so ya can skip the adapters and dash relocation by swapping to a 2021 mount 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 8:01 AM, Triple Jim said:

On 9/17/2021 at 10:03 AM, Grant31781 said:

Yes I always adjust my hands so my wrist is not bent. It is at a side angle to have  my hand properly on the bar. A wider bar would help.

That's horrible. I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'7" and I have Renthal bars (no idea which ones, came with the biked used) and I feel like they're too low and hate that I have to turn my wrist outward while my arms aim inward.

8 hours ago, Makks said:

Also, 2021 has fat bars so ya can skip the adapters and dash relocation by swapping to a 2021 mount 

I didn't know that. That's good info. Thanks man 👍