The MT-07 Forum

Sprocket size for increased top end

JacobJ265@gmail.co

JacobJ265@gmail.co

So my next noob question is if it would be OK to change one or both sprocket sizes to give the bike a little more speed. I'm not wanting to go fast I'm just wanting to lower the rpm when cruising at 60 or 70. As it stands at 60 mph my fz07 runs dead on 4k rpm and probably 4.5k at 70. I would like to get that number down some if I could without sacrificing too much acceleration. I'm a beginner rider and this bike has more than enough power for me ATM. Any recommendations?

In the other thread you mentioned this was your first bike, and that you received it last week.

My advice would be to leave it as it is, ride it a lot, get comfortable with it and gain experience. Start to think about other modifications further down the track.

There's little point changing things when you're not familiar with what you're starting with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree... it's a good idea to put a few thousand miles on a vehicle before deciding what changes would be helpful.

Why are you obsessed with lowering the 60mph RPM?   Are you comparing it to a car or something?   If so, you need to get that notion out of your head and just ride your first bike.  You are worrying about something a new rider shouldn't really even concern himself with.

• Like 1

JacobJ265@gmail.co

You guys are right. I am somewhat comparing it to a car. I know that my truck redlines at 7k and if I drove it for 200 miles at 4.5k it wouldn't be good for it. But I'm not used to high revving motors so thanks for your suggestions. I'm just gonna put some miles on it. 

• Like 4