The MT-07 Forum

Changing bars What to do about the tabs?

Grant31781

The stock bars have holes in them that align the throttle housing, kill switch and the turn signal switch. New bars will not have the holes. If I grind off the tab on each of these, will they snug up on the bar or spin around?

What is the solution to installing these parts on new bars?

I cut the tabs off once. Never again. Got so annoying chasing the switches around that I just replaced them. 

It's best to drill the holes you need.

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Put a piece of masking tape on the ends of the stock bars and then mark and punch the hole pattern through the tape. Peel off the tape and transfer the tape to the ends of the new bars. Mark the holes, center punch and drill to the right diameter. 

The pegs are there for a reason, keep them.

Ed

• Like 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I filed the tabs off. Put some electrical tape on the bar and snugged everything up. They haven’t budged in two years. 

Instagram: @jayparrington 

While I have stock bars on my MT still. Just as Jay mentioned, file them and put some tape under to give them something to bite into. On past bike I have even left just a little bit of the nub so that it also bites harder into the tape.. That said IF you have the tools and comfort level, drill the holes is best. Just make the first hole count!!!