The MT-07 Forum

R7 Goodies

Julian

The new R7 is out and according to the reviews it's the same engine and frame as the MT-07. If I am not mistaken, the engine specs are identical. I am not sure about the gear ratios.

Can we hope for OEM performance parts that fit our bikes? Slipper clutch? Brembo brake lever and master cilinder? Radial brake calipers? Fully adjustable front forks? Gearbox? Wheels? What is the first mod you would try 😁

yamaha_yzf-r7_01.jpg

Edited by Julian
  • Like 1

I'm thinking about the R7 slipper clutch for my project bike. Originally I was gonna go with a Suter slipper assembly but I'm hoping this will be cheaper lol.

• Like 1

I believe the R7 has steeper rake. Unless they accomplished that with the yokes ( unlikely) chances are the frame is actually different, at least in the headstock area. 

To run R7 calipers you would need those fork legs. To run those fork legs you'd need those yokes. It's a decent chance the whole front end would bolt on, though. 

Radial calipers in and of themselves don't offer any extra braking power. That's all dependant on rotor diameter, pad material and the friction coefficient of the parts in question. 

A radial caliper is still just pushing pistons out of a hole like always. 

Looks like we've finally got decent stock turn signals to vulturize though! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I believe the R7 has steeper rake. Unless they accomplished that with the yokes ( unlikely) chances are the frame is actually different, at least in the headstock area. 

To run R7 calipers you would need those fork legs. To run those fork legs you'd need those yokes. It's a decent chance the whole front end would bolt on, though. 

Radial calipers in and of themselves don't offer any extra braking power. That's all dependant on rotor diameter, pad material and the friction coefficient of the parts in question. 

A radial caliper is still just pushing pistons out of a hole like always. 

Looks like we've finally got decent stock turn signals to vulturize though! 

The rake of the R7 is actually less steep (23.4 vs 24.5). But I think there are different ways to achieve that, in racing they change the rake all the time without modifying the frame. Logically Yamaha would keep as many parts as possible identical to keep costs down. But maybe someone else knows exactly.

Radial calipers offer more rigidity and less levrage on the mounting points which may contribute to braking power and speed.

The redesigned turn signals are already available on the 2021 MT-07 at least in Europe, so you should be able to get those OEM already.

Edited by Julian

It appears that the "neat stuff" (forks, triples, master cylinder, slipper clutch)  on the new R7 is not available and neither are prices for these items. Supplier issues being what they are for Yamaha right now (many parts are unavailable in the US), I suspect this will continue to be the case and that available parts will go to building new bikes rather than parts bins. Fortunately, for those who care, there are already viable options for swapping to R6 forks and brakes, slipper clutches (Yoyodyne, Sutter) and better front master cylinders (try the Brembo-made  R6 master for around $210; works great on an 07). Moreover, if the price for new R6 forks/triples is any measure, expect R7 forks and triples to cost roughly $2000, then there are the brakes and the new front wheel. You can pick up used but upgraded R6 forks and brakes, plus custom triples for the 07, for about the same, more or less. I don't think any of this stuff is worth what it costs for riding on the street but to each their own. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I don't think any of this stuff is worth what it costs for riding on the street but to each their own. 

Very true... the stock version is a darned good assembly of very decent parts, and it's capable of doing more than most riders are capable of asking.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

It appears that the "neat stuff" (forks, triples, master cylinder, slipper clutch)  on the new R7 is not available and neither are prices for these items. Supplier issues being what they are for Yamaha right now (many parts are unavailable in the US), I suspect this will continue to be the case and that available parts will go to building new bikes rather than parts bins. Fortunately, for those who care, there are already viable options for swapping to R6 forks and brakes, slipper clutches (Yoyodyne, Sutter) and better front master cylinders (try the Brembo-made  R6 master for around $210; works great on an 07). Moreover, if the price for new R6 forks/triples is any measure, expect R7 forks and triples to cost roughly $2000, then there are the brakes and the new front wheel. You can pick up used but upgraded R6 forks and brakes, plus custom triples for the 07, for about the same, more or less. I don't think any of this stuff is worth what it costs for riding on the street but to each their own. 

The R6 costs 15,500 here, the MT-07 7,900 which is half the R6. The R7 will be more expensive than the MT-07 but below 10,000 I would expect. The price of the parts should be proportional, so more in line with the MT-07... 

4 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

It appears that the "neat stuff" (forks, triples, master cylinder, slipper clutch)  on the new R7 is not available and neither are prices for these items.

I don't think any of this stuff is worth what it costs for riding on the street but to each their own. 

I agree, and racers are wanting better brakes and suspension than what the R7 offers.

I would be interested in the slipper clutch upgrade (for track) if it becomes available and is considerably cheaper than aftermarket.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I was at the track yesterday, a guy I know there has a new R7, it’s a really nice bike, Yamaha did a  nice job on it.

while we were talking and comparing difference on our bikes, he mentioned that the Woodcraft case savers would not fit the clutch side because the clutch cover is slightly different  because of the slipper clutch. They looked identical to us, but it may be slightly wider by a few mm. 

Anyway, just something to consider if looking at adding the factory style slipper, you may need to change the clutch cover too.

Ed

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

The price of the R7 was released and it's 9,790 CHF in Switzerland. That's exactly 2,000 more than the MT-07 but a lot less than 15,490 for an R6. Hopefully the price of the parts is proportional. 

4 hours ago, Julian said:

The price of the R7 was released and it's 9,790 CHF in Switzerland. That's exactly 2,000 more than the MT-07 but a lot less than 15,490 for an R6. Hopefully the price of the parts is proportional. 

Price in UK is £8200 according to MCN - just 18% more than the 07.   This is probably an introductory price, but Yamaha continue the value for money theme.

Just do it! 

This video does a good job of comparing the two bikes 

The side aluminum panel is pretty interesting, I'm wondering if we could get it to fit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Julian said:

The side aluminum panel is pretty interesting, I'm wondering if we could get it to fit. 

On my 2020 it is aluminum.  It's just decorative though.  I guess they went to plastic for the 2021.

From what I've read, the quick shifter on the R7 won't allow you to reverse the shift pattern (GP shift).  That's a big disadvantage for me, since I've run a reversed pattern on all my motorcycles since 1979.

Edit:  I just read that the quick shifter is optional, so it is probably easy to reverse the pattern without the option.

Edited by Triple Jim

Anyone know what the distance from outside edge to outside edge of the R7 forks is in mm?

I'm curious to know how wide it is because the stock MT-07 seems to come really close to the radiator cap at full lock to the right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 5:23 PM, Triple Jim said:

On my 2020 it is aluminum.  It's just decorative though.  I guess they went to plastic for the 2021. 

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, this one is aluminum on the 2020?

20211025_221301.jpg

2 minutes ago, Julian said:

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, this one is aluminum on the 2020?

Yes.  When I reversed the shift pattern I had to take it off and cut clearance for the shift rod in the back of it.  It's cast aluminum.

42 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Yes.  When I reversed the shift pattern I had to take it off and cut clearance for the shift rod in the back of it.  It's cast aluminum.

Cool, I might order them for style, it looks like it should be plug & play. Do you happen to know the part number, I couldn't find it in the diagram.

Edit: I think I found them, wow pricy! 60 each. The plastic ones on the 2021 are 7.99 😅

Edited by Julian

It really doesn't look very different, being the same shape and color, it's just made from a different  material, and I imagine the plastic one is lighter.  On Partzilla'a site they're under "Stand/footrest" and "Stand/footrest 2", at $42 each.

Edited by Triple Jim