The MT-07 Forum

Overcharged battery?

mannymt

Engine cut out while riding, took the seat off and smoke was coming out the battery that also looked deformed.

From a quick google it sounds like it overcharged?

Does anyone know what parts I need to replace or is it just the battery?

Many thanks for the help!

• Like 1

You have to change the battery and check the function of the regulator/rectifier left of the fuel tank.
The output voltage (you can measure at battery terminals) should not exceed 14.7 V DC while you CAREFULLY rev the engine high (~ 14.0 V at 5000 r/min). Otherwise it will overcharge your battery or even toast your other electronic devices.  Stop as soon as you measure more than 15 V.

Check also for a  possible short circuit of the battery poles. Metal thing beneath your seat or a positive battery terminal touching the metal of the frame...something like that.

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Not sure what happened in Europe and Asia, but Yamaha recalled the USA 2015 FZ-07’s built within a specific date range because the battery cable could get pinched by the seat and cause a short circuit or fire. I believe there is a way to check online if your bike was fixed, you can google to see how to check. You can also call your local Yamaha dealer to check. If your bike is one of these bikes, you need to take it to a Yamaha dealer so they can replace the parts specified by the recall notice for free. This does not include the battery. Good luck.

36B881B9-735E-4318-857C-843FC001AA2C.png

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 1:22 PM, Eastern Kayaker said:

Not sure what happened in Europe and Asia, but Yamaha recalled the USA 2015 FZ-07’s built within a specific date range because the battery cable could get pinched by the seat and cause a short circuit or fire. I believe there is a way to check online if your bike was fixed, you can google to see how to check. You can also call your local Yamaha dealer to check. If your bike is one of these bikes, you need to take it to a Yamaha dealer so they can replace the parts specified by the recall notice for free. This does not include the battery. Good luck.

36B881B9-735E-4318-857C-843FC001AA2C.png

Hey thanks for the reply, I checked the voltage and it was all fine so I rung up Yamaha and turns out there was a recall on my bike from before I even owned it. They're ordering in the parts now.

Do you have any idea if I have any grounds for legal action based on how I almost died due to this or was it my fault for not looking up if my bike had a recall on it?

I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that it's up to you to check on recalls when you buy a vehicle.  Even if I'm wrong, a court judgment is usually based on damages.  If you had actually been hurt there may have been a lot of damages, but if sounds like in your case the damages are limited to the battery and a cable, or maybe some other small parts.

• Like 2

Here you get a letter from the Federal Motor Transport Authority if there's a security related recall. If you ignore it, you get a  reminder with a deadline and then the vehicle looses the permission to use public roads.
My buddy got this reminder for his second hand Yamaha SR 400, there was a recall because of the union nut of an oil line.

If you are the original owner, in the U.S., you will often get a letter from NHTSA or the manufacturer. It is always a good practice to type your VIN number into the NHTSA VIN checker to find any recalls, and whether or not your recall has been addressed by any previous owner or not. It is a good idea to type in the VIN number of any used vehicle you are buying before you buy it, for both safety and negotiation value.