The MT-07 Forum

Garage Tyre Pressure

Julian

Since recently I have a parking space in my building's closed underground garage, which got me thinking....

The temperatures outside have dropped quite a lot, and the garage where the bike spends most of its time is considerably warmer and I'm guessing pretty constant throughout the year. You normally check tyre pressure before you start riding, and if I do that the pressure will reflect the warm garage temperature. Also when I do a roundtrip garage - riding - garage, the tires and air inside will warm up from riding before they have a chance to cool down from the cold weather. The only scenario where I see the cold playing a factor is when the bike is parked outside for a couple of hours or more and then I ride it back. But if I adjust the air pressure for that scenario, won't the pressure be too high for most other situations - inside the garage and while riding?

Edited by Julian

Lots of things can affect pressure readings and where you decide to run your pressures at. General rule of thumb is to read your pressure before you take off and then check it again while you're riding and everything is fully warmed up. You should see a ride of 3-4psi doing that. 

If the pressures rises a lot, like 8-10 psi, you should probably raise the psi you're using. If it's raising none you're running very inflated ( don't want to say overinflated) , which will give you best fuel mileage and tire wear, but the tires may not be heating up and giving you the best grip possible. With modern tires being so good, and most people not needing every ounce of grip possible, it's not a bad place to be. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I did a bit of looking around online and according to Tire Rack the pressure will change about 2% for each 10°F.  You could work out temperature difference and adjust your garage tire pressure as needed. 

I presume that in warm weather you would not be concerned about tyre pressures, except to make sure you start right, but of course take care while they warm up. So, in colder weather you just need to remember that pressures may drop before they are fully warmed up. And during periods left out in the cold be particularly careful while they have to warm up again.  IMHO.

• Like 2

Just do it!