The MT-07 Forum

Why Clutchless shifting?

DewMan

• Premium Member

Serious question please.

I've never felt the need/want to do clutchless shifts. I've never purposely done a clutchless shift. I've also never been track racing on a bike either so there is that.

What is the appeal of clutchless shifts? Why risk unneeded wear & tear, and possibly failed shifts, on a very expensive drive train/transmission? If you want clutchless shifts why not just get a quick shifter?

A synchronized blip of the throttle timed with a pull on the clutch lever and slipping it up/down a gear is fun for me. I enjoy a perfectly executed shift that cause zero stumble in the power delivery. 

I'm not denigrating anyone who does clutchless shifts. You safely do whatever you want with your machine. I just don't understand the appeal and would like to understand it. What do I not "get"?

Thanks in advance to anyone who could take the time to explain it to me. ✌️

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

the thoughts are it's as smooth as clutching.... i personally am not convinced by that, so i don't do them.

well, unless with a QS anyway.

I guess it's cool sorta too.... maybe.... kinda... But it doesn't bring anything to the party for me.

• Thanks 1

As I posted yesterday, if you shift without using the clutch, it's possible that the dogs won't be fully engaged when you open the throttle.  In that state, the gear is probably going to be loading the shift fork, which is bad.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

As I posted yesterday, if you shift without using the clutch, it's possible that the dogs won't be fully engaged when you open the throttle.  In that state, the gear is probably going to be loading the shift fork, which is bad.

Yep, I read that. :) That thread prompted this one. 

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who can tell me why they are doing clutchless shifts and for what, if any, benefit.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

8 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who can tell me why they are doing clutchless shifts and for what, if any, benefit.

They're quick and easy.  I used to do them a lot with my 1972 Kaw H2.  The engine has little rotating mass, so a clutchless shift is easy to do smoothly. 

But I had that transmission apart for the first time a couple years ago because a circlip wore through and let 3rd gear get out of place.   That could have been caused or made worse by my clutchless shifting.  When the dogs are not fully engaged, the shift fork gets load, but also at the other side, something has to take the load in the other direction.  In this case it was the circlip.

I don't do clutchless shifts much anymore.

• Thanks 1

I was only doing them on track after watching a MotoJitsu video where he suggested it and I thought I would give it a try. I had not considered the possible damage/wear and tear until reading the other thread.

One reason why I was doing it was so I didn't accidently over-rev the engine and drop the clutch while trying to accelerate hard. Being new to motorcycle riding in general and new to riding hard at the track, it was just one thing I thought would not have to worry about until I got more comfortable with my bike on track.

On the street I always use the clutch and I agree with you @DewMan that nailing both up and down shifts is part of the satisfaction I get when riding. 

• Thanks 1

I have always felt uncomfortable with the potential negative consequences of clutchless shifts. But I do very quick shifts using the clutch which go like a knife through butter and keep progress up. But sorry, that is not the explanation you wished for.

• Thanks 1

Just do it! 

I am certainly no expert at clutchless shifting and do not use it day to day, but there have been two instances in my life where I used it. First was in a car, when I broke my ankle. (Imo its alot easier in a car) other than getting going in first with one foot.... More recently though I sliced my left index finger and couldn't use it which made using my trigger style clutch hard to use. Clutchless shifting came in kinda handy then too but still had to use my middle finger to get going in first. 

• Thanks 1

Have been clutch less up shifting for at least the last 30 odd years, if you raced years ago before quick shifters came on the scene it was a practice that most people did and as long as your using a reasonable amount of engine speed you would get a faster and smooth change. I don’t do it at lower engine speeds as it just doesn’t tend to work as well and if your at slower engine speeds your not really in a hurry.

If your well practiced at it you get a nice smooth fast gear change, I’ve been doing it for so long I don’t even think about it and what engine speeds feel appropriate, it just feels natural. Never had any additional gearbox wear that I’ve ever been aware off on any of my bikes.

• Thanks 1