The MT-07 Forum

Rattling sound and it’s getting worse

Mortaza

Hey so I’m I have a rattling sound coming from my engine located around the shims area I want to k if it’s common and if it’s a big problem I was just doing a wheelie and the bikes engine started rattling so Um I had a guy listen to it he said it’s either the Spuds like a shim has jumped out of the lifter housing. Lifter tick but also could be a sticky valve spring and I was wondering if anyone else have been thru that before it’s a 2020 mt07 

M. Hausknecht

Well, if its really the motor, this isn't good. Unless you damaged/bent a valve, I can't imagine a valve shim sneaking out of its retainer on a fairly new motorcycle. There could be an issue with the cam chain tensioner not putting sufficient tension on the cam chain, resulting in a rattling sound on rider's right side of motor just below the cylinder head. Having said that, again tough to imagine a tensioner going bad on a 2020 bike unless the motor is way down on oil. Again absent valve damage, there isn't anything to cause a "sticky valve spring". The motor also doesn't have hydraulic valve lifters (it merely has buckets that sit in their bores and follow the cam lobes) that can get noisy or "tick". If a bucket is making noise, most likely cause is damage to the bucket bores or cam lobe faces due to significant lack of lubrication.

Putting aside the rattling sound, how does the motor run? Idle smoothly? Any other symptoms besides the rattling?  How much oil in the motor? Has anyone been inside the motor? Any modifications (you're running an air filter)? Absent any additional relevant info, if it was mine, I'd do a compression test on both cylinders; also checking the spark plugs for possible damage. Good luck! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Well, if its really the motor, this isn't good. Unless you damaged/bent a valve, I can't imagine a valve shim sneaking out of its retainer on a fairly new motorcycle. There could be an issue with the cam chain tensioner not putting sufficient tension on the cam chain, resulting in a rattling sound on rider's right side of motor just below the cylinder head. Having said that, again tough to imagine a tensioner going bad on a 2020 bike unless the motor is way down on oil. Again absent valve damage, there isn't anything to cause a "sticky valve spring". The motor also doesn't have hydraulic valve lifters (it merely has buckets that sit in their bores and follow the cam lobes) that can get noisy or "tick". If a bucket is making noise, most likely cause is damage to the bucket bores or cam lobe faces due to significant lack of lubrication.

Putting aside the rattling sound, how does the motor run? Idle smoothly? Any other symptoms besides the rattling?  How much oil in the motor? Has anyone been inside the motor? Any modifications (you're running an air filter)? Absent any additional relevant info, if it was mine, I'd do a compression test on both cylinders; also checking the spark plugs for possible damage. Good luck! 

The motor runs the same as before but with a rattling and the sound is coming from that area the motor was low on oil when it started so I put in 1.6 litres more of oil. No one has been inside the motor yet. Only mods an exhaust, pro taper handle bars and a stunt cage but I will definitely check both the compression and the spark plugs the bike has done around 13000kms

The engine was 1.6 liters low on oil?  That's very low, especially if you're doing wheelies that could let the pump pick up air.  Did you see the low oil pressure warning light flashing?

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

The engine was 1.6 liters low on oil?  That's very low, especially if you're doing wheelies that could let the pump pick up air.  Did you see the low oil pressure warning light flashing?

Yes I did but I’m gonna do an oil flush in about a week then do a compression test but first thing in the mourning definitely will check the spark plugs 

Things like main and rod bearings and cam lobes are what's likely to be damaged from insufficient lubrication, not ring seal or spark plugs.  That warning light is a serious thing, not to be ignored.

How did a 2020 MT get so low on oil?

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Things like main and rod bearings and cam lobes are what's likely to be damaged from insufficient lubrication, not ring seal or spark plugs.  That warning light is a serious thing, not to be ignored.

How did a 2020 MT get so low on oil?

Stunting and it has a rear sprocket of 60 teeth so really redlining it would be the problem on y it was low and aswell the sound is coming from the top not the middle or bottom but I will check the compression and if it’s different then will have it check out 

Edited by Mortaza

M. Hausknecht
Just now, AP996 said:

Low on oil, wheelies, high revs then rattling engine, Sorry but I think that motors going be quite sick.

Ummmm yeah, sorry I have to agree. Plugs aren't directly relevant but if a valve is bent, you might find some aluminum on the electrodes. Main and rod bearings,and cam journals need constant oil pressure. I wonder how the oil smells; it could've gotten very hot, further contributing to the lack of lubrication.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AP996 said:

Low on oil, wheelies, high revs then rattling engine, Sorry but I think that motors going be quite sick.

The thing is the bike has been wheeling it’s whole life since they first got it it’s a stunt bike so what’s the difference now

• Global Moderator
16 minutes ago, Mortaza said:

The thing is the bike has been wheeling it’s whole life since they first got it it’s a stunt bike so what’s the difference now

I think the biggest difference is the low oil level, also an engine can only be abused for so long before something breaks.  I hope it does not end up being an expensive fix for you.  I am curious what you find. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Mortaza said:

Pristine, showroom condition bikes sure are nice. But well ridden, banged up bikes that have given their riders lots of fun have a cool factor that speaks for itself 😎 

Sounds like all you can do is start doing a visual inspection at this point. Easy to pop off the valve cover to take a look. If that don't pan out, engine side covers next before having to drop the whole engine. 

Good luck, man! And keep us posted on what you find so the rest of us can learn from it. Hoping it's nothing too bad for you ✌️

39 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I think the biggest difference is the low oil level, also an engine can only be abused for so long before something breaks.  I hope it does not end up being an expensive fix for you.  I am curious what you find. 

I’m getting it diagnosed on Monday then I will let u k what’s wrong 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mortaza said:

Wheeling and stunting no problem, not enough oil pressure= big problems.

• Like 2