The MT-07 Forum

Rust spots on swingarm - new bike

Julian

To recap my bike is a 2021 model, 7-8 months old. About half of this time it was kept inside, and half outside so it saw a little bit of rain but not cold as it was summer. A while ago I noticed a bit of rust in the form of a thin line maybe 5mm long next to the weld on the right arm of the swingarm. Now there are 3 such lines close to one another, nothing major you have to look from up close to see them. 

I took the bike to Yamaha for a few different things and showed them the rust spots as well. They called me the next day and offered to change the entire swingarm under warranty. That sounded a bit excessive and I said no for the time being, as I can always do that later if I decide. Is there any better solution that I could ask for? I think the swingarm weld rust is a pretty common on our bikes and not only. Wouldn't it be just a matter of time until a new swingarm develops it? 

Edited by Julian

Got any pics ? 

You could get it blasted then re-powder coated properly ?  I assume they either use crappy coating or started with them in a damp atmosphere.

Just now, Weeksy said:

Got any pics ? 

You could get it blasted then re-powder coated properly ?  I assume they either use crappy coating or started with them in a damp atmosphere.

Unfortunately not, the bike is still at the dealership, but a quick Google search found this image wchich is pretty much what I'm talking about. On mine there are now 3 of these faint lines. As the bike is under warranty I'm not looking to spend any money of my own, I'm asking about alternative solutions I could reasonably ask the dealership for. 

v0jr9pmfrk911.jpg

Yamaha have been replacing swing arms under warranty for some years.  It seems they have no proper cure. 

Just do it! 

Had the same issue at the same spot.. gave it a scrap to remove any iron/rust. Put a small dab of clear coat overtop. Hasn’t gotten any worse in over 3 years. 

now there is a post here where some dude refinished his whole swing arm. Rustoleum flat black is supposed to be a 95% colour match from OEM.

• Like 1

Don't clean off your chain lube fling off and it'll stop rusting 😉

It's not awesome, but kinda just a thing that happens with steel parts. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 5:43 AM, Julian said:

Unfortunately not, the bike is still at the dealership, but a quick Google search found this image wchich is pretty much what I'm talking about. On mine there are now 3 of these faint lines. As the bike is under warranty I'm not looking to spend any money of my own, I'm asking about alternative solutions I could reasonably ask the dealership for. 

I doubt you will get more than the replacement offer, because Yamaha is footing all the bill.  If the dealer could get paid for pulling and painting them they might do it, otherwise it is now the dealer footing the bill.  That is a fairly big hit for them.

• Like 1