The MT-07 Forum

SD 19 CODE, Fz07

Albert Angel

Sense I'm new to bikes. Trying to buy a bike that has the SD 19 code. Well not sure how hard it can get to fix it. As I don't know much about bikes and trying to get my first. Should this code be a deal breaker? they said that the bike just tipped over. There's no sign of the bike being wrecked. Should I still buy it? How hard would it be to get it running?

• Global Moderator

SD19 is the side stand switch.  It should be an easy fix but I would not buy the bike until it was fixed.  If it is not running I would definitely not buy it.  If I was trying to sell a bike with engine problems then disconnecting the side stand switch to get it to display what looks like an easy problem to fix would be a good way to hide a big problem. 

• Like 2

The engine turns over find and has great compression. The bike sat for a bit and rats ate the wiring, he put a new wiring in and hasn't touched it anymore sense then. After the code he hasn't messed with it anymore.  He owns a bike shop. He said that I could take it as is for 3 grand or wait until he fixed it to then sell it for 3,800. I kind of trust the guy sense he owns a shop and sells lots of bikes. I'm just desperate for the bike lol. I'm mostly scared of the code. That it would be impossible to fix or very expensive.

Edited by Albert Angel

7 minutes ago, Albert Angel said:

The engine turns over find and has great compression. The bike sat for a bit and rats ate the wiring, he put a new wiring in and hasn't touched it anymore sense then. After the code he hasn't messed with it anymore.  He owns a bike shop. He said that I could take it as is for 3 grand or wait until he fixed it to then sell it for 3,800. I kind of trust the guy sense he owns a shop and sells lots of bikes. I'm just desperate for the bike lol. I'm mostly scared of the code. That it would be impossible to fix or very expensive.

To me, that sounds like the shop owner has failed at trying to get it running and is tired of messing with it.  He hopes he can sell it to someone and be done with it, and even better if the buyer ends up having to pay him for the repairs, since at the moment he's not getting paid for his shop time.

He's supposed to be good at fixing things like this and is having trouble.  You said you're new to bikes.  Don't get caught up in "new bike fever" and buy it unless you're prepared for the repair to me much more complicated than it seems.  $3,800 is a low price for a decent running FZ-07.  $3,000 is a high price for a non-running pig in a poke.

• Like 1

In addition to the sidestand switch it could be a defective starting circuit cut-off relay or the wiring between relay and switch.
The switch itself is easy to measure to rule it out.

A defective connection of black/red between starting circuit cut-off relay and the ECU connector is also possible, but I think unlikely. But one can also measure this quick as soon as the plastic covers are removed.

Worst case would be a defective ECU, you never know. But I think the diodes of starting circuit cut-off relay die first...hopefully.

We had this similar in the past:

Is is possible to start the engine? -> I don't think so, safety system should stop the starter motor.
Other things that might be affected by this problem: Is something happening if you move the sidestand switch up/down while ignition is on and the bike in a gear? Is the neutral LED working as it should?

Edited by ElGonzales

• Premium Member

If rats chewed the wiring, I would walk away..... It sounds like it would be a lot of headaches. 

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"