The MT-07 Forum

Old Rider Got an 07!

Shamrock

I just picked up a pretty nice 2016 (totally stock) from a riding buddy and I've spent the past two weeks adding farkles and getting everything lined up. I'm a really old guy that has been riding for more than sixty years. I live in Central Florida and spend a good bit of time riding in the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains. Needless to say in all those years I've owned a bunch of different bikes but right now I only have the 07 and a pretty tricked out 2014 FZ09.  Anyway I look forward to finding out some of the stuff you folks have been doing to your bikes to make them work just a little bit better. I also enjoy seeing photos of other bikes and reading about other owners adventures.

I Present----- Carl 004.JPG

I Present----- Carl 006.JPG

Les & Mark   At The  Gap 2018.jpg

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Shamrock said:

and spend a good bit of time riding in the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains.

I might see you out there sometime.  Welcome to the board!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum Shamrock. Enjoy your FZ, these are great bikes and there is plenty of information on this site about how to make them even more enjoyable. 

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I like your blue pillion seat. That's the first one of those I've seen.

My first and favorite upgrades were the Gilles chain adjusters with rear spools and the Gilles locking Titanium rear axle nut. Both look and function great and make working on the bike so much easier. Bought mine from Bellissimoto, one of this forum's sponsors.

Gilles AXB Chain Adjuster for the Yamaha FZ-07/MT-07 and XSR700

Gilles ACM Titanium Axle Nut M24 x1.5 for Kawasaki, BMW, and Yamaha models

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

Great colour. Enjoy. I have been looking at MT-03 of the same colour for when I cannot properly handle the 07 anymore (me aged too). 

Just do it! 

Great choice of color for your bike!

Here's what I added to mine excluding what I see on yours:

2WDW Flash

MWR air filter

R6 throttle tube

Bitubo XZE11 shock

Sonic Fork Springs/heavier oil

EBC HH brake pads

Spiegler SS brake lines

Vortex 520 sprockets 16/44

DID ERV3 chain

Evotech radiator guard

Gilles Chain Adjuster

Gilles titanium locking axle nut

Mirror extenders

Blindspot mirrors

Osram Night Racer light bulb

Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn

Mad Hornets levers

125.JPG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, D.A. said:

"I like your blue pillion seat. That's the first one of those I've seen."

Believe it or not but it actually came from Walmart for $77 bucks shipped! It's a Mad Hornets part that fits well, color is real close and I got it in about seven days. If you're real anal there are two or three mold marks but at that price point who cares.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mad-Hornets-Pillion-Rear-Seat-Solo-Cowl-Fairing-Cover-Fit-For-YAMAHA-MT-07-FZ-07-FZ07-13-17/946764989?athbdg=L1100

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like 1

Hey Shamrock, I really like that pillion seat especially for the money. Just curious, how close of a match that seat is to your FZ's blurple colored frame. It looks really close in your pics, but pics can be deceiving. Also, how well does it fit.

That will the third pillion seat I would have. I use my stock one for my luggage arrangement. The second one, which isn't finished, is a Nelson Riggs 1060-S which is bolted to the seat pan. I saw someone on this forum that did it, and both looked good and made sense for short trips.  The third one will be like yours to just look cool.

This is my long distance luggage setup. BTW, you can see my mirror extenders and the blind spot mirrors in one of the pics.

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

Edited by FZ not MT

You could not ask for a better fit.  At first attempt I figured I would need to tweak it a bit but a little pressure from the palm of my hand had it lock firmly in place. The burple color is really close when you hold it next to something like the front fender wings but up on the back of the back it's a non issue. I say go for it!

Your luggage set up looks really good! Have you done any long distance touring all loaded up?

24 minutes ago, Shamrock said:

Have you done any long distance touring all loaded up?

That's sorta a yes and no answer. I've done over 500 miles in a day several times, but I have never gone more than 250 miles away from home on my FZ-07. I have ridden my FZ with that luggage completely full - it rides well with that setup.

Having said that, I did a 2300 mile solo camping trip from Washington DC area to Bar Harbor Maine which I stretched out to 11 days. I had full camping gear, and spent several nights in my tent. That was on a 1983 Yamaha 750 Seca. I learned a lot on that trip as 8 of the 11 days it rained. I learned that riding in the rain is very doable and sorta OK. I also learned that gray weather is OK too. My first lesson was that I had to keep my speed up in the rain, or I would likely get hit by a car/truck especially on the Interstates.

I was in my late 20's when I took that trip. Now in my early 60's there is no way in hell I would do a rainy trip like that, but it still was a good time.