The MT-07 Forum

Want some feed back before buying MT07

Sparky

Hey guys I need help trying to decide between a R7 and a MT-07 I know the MT07 is a little bit cheaper and more comfortable but I come from a 2001 R6 and really like the way the r7 looks what are some of the problems you’re having with the MT-07 and vice versa with the R7

• Like 1

Troubles with an MT-07?  Almost unheard of....  Had mine for 7 years  without any problems, but folks will chime for you.  

• Like 3

Just do it! 

M. Hausknecht

Any troubles will be shared by the two models. Other than the ergos, and the forks and front brakes, which are better on the R7, the bikes are essentially the same. Which you should pick should depend on how and where you like to ride, and on which excites you more (isn't that all that really counts?). 

I only ride my MT 07 on the race track, so among other things  I've changed the fork internals, triple clamps, front master cylinder, shock and shock linkage, rear sets, clip ons, and added full bodywork. If I were buying now, I'd get the R7 and hope to replace less. 

Edited by M. Hausknecht
  • Like 2

Yeah, you're pretty much down to just choosing which style and riding position you prefer. At a glance the forks on the R7 look like a huge advantage, but the folks who have ridden then don't seem overly impressed. That's not a ding against the R7, it just means that as far as suspension goes you're not really giving up anything if you do decide to go with the MT. 

• Like 3

The "better" suspension, brakes, and slipper clutch on the R7 are attractive, but my old body can't handle the ergos of the clip-ons.  Coming from an R6 I doubt that's an issue for you.

I prefer the more comfortable and casual riding position of the MT and may upgrade the suspension if I keep it any longer.  These days I'm more interested in the functionality of a T7 though.  Too bad they are unobtanium😔

• Like 2

Pretty much as others have mentioned - the 2 are essentially the same platform minus some slight changes to the suspension, brakes and clutch. The major differences are going to be ergo; the body position is very different between both. You can't go wrong either way, so pick whatever you're more comfortable on and think looks better.

Other than that, insurance could be a factor depending on how the company classifies the R7. Insurance on the MT is typically dirt cheap (I personally only pay a few hundred for the year on mine).

• Like 2

2017 FZ-07 with 30,000km.

• A little rust did develop on the swing arm near the rear. Simple fix to scrape out, paint and apply clear coat.
  • OEM Battery (not a Yamaha Product) died after 3 years.
  • Factory grease applied to swing arm bushings and such was a little lite.

That's been it really. Very minor.

Thanks guys for being very open and shining a light on the topic for me I’m new to the forum side of things and I think I’m gonna get the mt07 because like y’all said the ergos are much better 

• Like 3

Just now, Sparky said:

...and I think I’m gonna get the mt07 because like y’all said the ergos are much better 

I realize that ergonomics are an individual thing, but from the very first time I sat on my MT-07 I realized that it's the most comfortable  motorcycle I've owned, and that goes back through 44 years of motorcycles.

• Like 1

Just now, Triple Jim said:

I realize that ergonomics are an individual thing, but from the very first time I sat on my MT-07 I realized that it's the most comfortable  motorcycle I've owned, and that goes back through 44 years of motorcycles.

This and then I raised the bars about a inch and it got even more comfy.

• Premium Member
Just now, Triple Jim said:

As stated above ^... The first time I threw a leg over a 07- it just "FIT". I knew that one would eventually end up in my garage. That has only happened one other time in my 40+ year riding career. As much as I want an MT-10 for my next street bike, it just doesn't "fit" me right.... On paper, it checks ALL the boxes of EVERYTHING I desire. I rode one on an extended demo ride. I liked it, but couldn't get past that it didn't "fit" me, and felt slightly awkward (to me). My best advise, is try to get a demo ride on both the R7, and the MT-07. Whichever one "fits" better- drive it home, and you will likely have no regrets 😎 -

• Like 4

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Just now, Mt707 said:

Yes, we're all different.   :)  I find the stock bar to be perfect... at highway speeds I move back in the seat so I lean forward a little to balance against the wind, and at slower back road speeds I move forward so I sit up more and balance against that wind.  Then around town I move up near the tank so I'm balanced with no wind.

3 hours ago, Mt707 said:

I looked really quick and thought I got hacked. Than quickly realized it’s a tad different 😂

I can’t comment on a lot of things on the bike as this is my first bike and I can’t compare it to anything else. What I could tell you is that I picked this bike because of the riding ergo. The hunched over riding is just not for me. The other thing I would say is buy the bike with intentions on spending money on suspension. I am no professional, but it’s horrible (at least for me) this could also be because I’m 250lbs and 6ft. I am currently shopping for a new shock and fork cartridges. Then my bike will be complete at least for me. Hope this helps. 

oh- and nothing beats the sound of an MT-07 with an exhaust. It’s like a dream 🤤

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sparky said:

Thanks guys for being very open and shining a light on the topic for me I’m new to the forum side of things and I think I’m gonna get the mt07 because like y’all said the ergos are much better 

I used to have supersports when I was younger. I cringe these days when I look at how I'd need to contort my body to fit them. They're no fun as you get older, long distance trips in particular are out.

The MT07 fits me we'll. Because it's more comfortable than sports bikes I find that I use it more than I would a sports bike.

Interestingly, I rode a friend's 2017 MT09 a few times and hated the riding position (you can tell the difference if you ever just sit on one). Yamaha got the 07 ergonomics pretty right.

• Like 1

Get the r7 and put heli bars on it when you need a rest.  Also  look out for the 'fuji' axle nut as they can really F up your day.

Edited by 00RAH