The MT-07 Forum

Tires for 2918 MT07?

Grant31781

I need a new rear tire. The center wear bars are flush to the tread.  There are not a lot of good twisty roads to ride here and I don't ride them that fast anyway.  The stock tires  worked fine for my riding.  The chicken strips are about  1.5 inches wide. Most of the miles are straight and long wide curves.

What would be some good budget tires to fit my riding?  Should  I get new front and rear or just rear? Front still looks fine. It is 4 years old.

I replaced my stock tires on the 2017 . I never liked the stock tires. I researched all brands and went with  Metzler Road Tech 1. I won't use another tire. They are great.  I would replace both at the same time.  I also use  ride on sealant 

It pretty typical to wear out two rear tires before you wear out a front. If it's in good shape I would keep it. 

When we DO actually "wear out" a tire we've only knocked maybe 5% of the rubber off the whole mass of the tire. The vast majority of the initial product remains. It seems incredibly wasteful that we don't rebuild tires anyway, but in the modern world people are just scared of everything. I'd run the tire. I have a thing about wasting resources. If it's been on the bike for years you might want to investigate closely for dry rot/ cracking, though. 

I'd run the tire.

You talking about the back tire worn to the wear bars?  I know some people run them till the cords show in the middle! 

• Premium Member
cornerslider

As @shinyribs said.... As long as the front tire doesn't have any dry-rot, or cracks, I'd just replace the rear. I would try to replace the rear tire with the exact same tire it came will. If you choose to replace both the tires, I'd look at something in the "sport-touring" range. (that's what the OEM tires are). It sounds like a good fit for what you do with the bike-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Just now, Grant31781 said:

You talking about the back tire worn to the wear bars?  I know some people run them till the cords show in the middle! 

Nah buddy. When I hit the wear bars they come off. Those guys looking at cords are flirting with disaster. I wouldn't swap out the front just to replace it at the same time as the rear. Fronts just last longer.