The MT-07 Forum

Introduction

Mrozzie5184

Mrozzie5184

Hey, I'm brand new to riding and just picked up a '18 mt-07 with 700 miles for my first bike. I really want to expand my knowledge base, not sure if there's any specific things which I should keep an eye out for.

Forgot to mention, i landed on the mt-07 cause I'm 6'7" 250 pounds and this was the "smallest" bike I could find that fit me, I know I'll need to upgrade the suspension at some point, but im at a loss of what to do besides max out the pre-load on the rear spring.

Resized_20220408_102421.jpeg

Edited by Mrozzie5184
  • Like 1

Daniellessoul

Welcome and congrats.  There are tons of threads on suspension mods and everything else you might want to do.  Lots of good reading for ideas.

• Like 1

Beautiful '18!  I have a 2020 that's the same color.  Don't worry about modifications any time soon.  I've had mine for a  year and a half now, and the only thing I do to it other than routine maintenance is ride it and enjoy the heck out of it.

If you notice the front suspension actually bottoming in extreme stops, you can add a small, measured amount of fork oil.  The smaller air space then effectively increases the spring rate, making it stiffer.  You have the right idea for the rear.

I'm 6'2" tall and I don't find the bike anywhere near too small.  For me it's the most comfortable motorcycle I've owned.  6'7" is pretty darned tall, so it's good to hear that my height isn't the limit for comfort.  🙂

Welcome to the board, Mrozzi5184!

Always recommend quality protective gear and a moto safety course or two as the first things to spend money on.  Second to that, I could recommend an ecu flash.  Otherwise just ride and enjoy!

Welcome.

• Like 1

Mrozzie5184

Ok, so I'm signed up for a course, doesn't happen for 2 weeks though, I got my learners permit and have just been taking it on back roads n such. 

I am mostly geared up, waiting on a 2nd pair of boots, need to send 1st pair in.  Would like riding jeans, but very difficult to find with a  long inseam. 

I went on a 45 minute ride last night while it was 50* and windy, stayed warm except my hands were getting cold at the end of the ride.

I have frame sliders on order, and will start working more on low speed maneuvers once I get them installed

I'm still looking for quick release luggage since I intend to use this bike for commuting, but I may just settle on a backpack.

Edited by Mrozzie5184
  • Like 1

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for success.  There used to be a company on here that had some quick release luggage that used the passenger pegs, that I thought was interesting.  I'm sure that luggage has likely been covered in the forum somewhere.  The search feature is your friend.  👊

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, Mrozzie5184 said:

I'm still looking for quick release luggage since I intend to use this bike for commuting, but I may just settle on a backpack.

As an alternative to a backpack or quick release saddlebags, maybe a quick release tankbag?  I've been using this Hepco-Becker tankbag for two years now.  Has a magnetic mount.  Releases by pulling a strap at the front of the bag.  Not sure how much volume you need, but this particular model is small enough to allow you to still see the instrument panel.  Just a thought....

Tank bag 01.jpg

• Like 1

Mrozzie5184

That's a good one, I do have a quick release tail bag showing up tomorrow, looks like it has a base that attaches to the straps under the pillion, will report back how well it works