The MT-07 Forum

Overturned spring preload adjusting ring.

minner

Let me preface this by acknowledging that it's almost unbelievable that I could actually do this to my bike.  Embarrassment aside:

I overturned the spring preload adjusting ring (in the decreasing preload direction, turning clockwise if the ring is viewed front the rear of the bike).  I was trying to experiment with the extreme settings and made the ignorant assumption that the mechanism would not allow me to overturn it.  That said, I probably only overturned 1-2 clicks.  

The ajusting tool provided is now incapable of turning the ring in the opposite direction (in my hands at least). I tried to force it but the tool is becoming damaged from the repeated force on the most distal aspect of the hooked end. 

Any tips for breaking this loose?  I'd rather avoid the dealer for this issue but will bring it in if those with experience recommend it.    

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy127/mikemnop/IMG_0047.jpg

http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy127/mikemnop/IMG_0052.jpg

Try a large flat blade screw driver set at the bottom of the notch on the adjuster then use a heavy hammer to hit the screw drive the proper direction. Sometimes it will work sometimes it won't. If it doesn't seam to be working stop before you damage the adjuster.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

I'm having trouble following. If you decrease the preload all the way, wouldn't you just run into the wall at the highest preload setting? I'll have to take a look at the bike later, maybe I'm missing something.

I'm having trouble following. If you decrease the preload all the way, wouldn't you just run into the wall at the highest preload setting? I'll have to take a look at the bike later, maybe I'm missing something.
That's what I'm thinking... if you go past the highest pre-load it goes back to the softest and you can't go past the softest setting

2015 Matte Metallic Grey FZ-07

Rereading, I think you are just at the lowest preload setting and trying to get it to jump the wall to the highest preload, which it won't do. Turning clockwise from the rear of the bike is increasing the preload, not decreasing.

If I'm right here, there is nothing wrong, you are just at the lowest preload setting, you can only turn it clockwise which would increase the preload.  When it's not at the lowest preload, you can turn it in both directions.

Thank you Potatochips.  This was the issue.  My bike is sandwiched between two cars in a public garage and I'm only home at night so seeing that notch was difficult.  I just kept turning clockwise (from the rear view) and slowly increased the preload to the correct setting. Much better now.  

Embarrassed ?  Yes!  

• Global Moderator

I would say I have never said anything embarrassing on the forum, but Guru would just find and post them all :). I am glad to hear that there is nothing wrong with your bike.

It didn't dawn on me till later what the problem was, it's so simple. I figured you just didn't get down and look at what was going on. As said, we all have those moments.

This was a very human mistake, you should laugh about it and learn from it.
For me at 157lb, I like the comfort of setting it on [HASH]3. With my daughter +130lb, I like it on [HASH]7.

Thank you Potatochips.  This was the issue.  My bike is sandwiched between two cars in a public garage and I'm only home at night so seeing that notch was difficult.  I just kept turning clockwise (from the rear view) and slowly increased the preload to the correct setting. Much better now.   

Embarrassed ?  Yes!  
Well at least embarrassment did not cost any $$$.  So you took one for the team.  Glad it wasn't me  :P

Archived