The MT-07 Forum

New guy

Hooligan

Hello from upstate NY

Been riding Harleys for the last 20 plus years, my last Jap bike was an 04 FJR 1300.  Looking forward to my new MT 07  coming in early May as I want to get back to a lighter and more nimble platform. It was a close call between the trident 660 and the SV 650 which are also both excellent imho.   Looking here for good recommendations on mods and personalisation  as well as shortcuts on maintenance etc.  I have some reading of past threads to explore and I am sure to have some questions     BTW what is the best motor oil ?   Just kidding. 

Thanks in advance 

• Like 2

Hi Hooligan, welcome!  Ride it for a month or 18 before you thing about changing anything.  What part of the world are you in?

bartman5impson

Like Jim said, ride it for a while before you start modding everything, this way you'll appreciate the mods when you upgrade. The #1 mod I would recommend is an exhaust. It makes the bike so much more exciting and fun to ride. The stock exhaust is very boring and quiet but thankfully the crossplane engine in the 07 is (in my opinion) one of the few inline twins that sounds great with a performance exhaust.

Thanks  to all for the welcome

Yes, the exhaust is definitely to look at, my hearing is bad enough so loud isn't a plan  but efficiency is,  fender eliminator,  maybe better seat, phone mount, tail bag, grips, quick shifter, mid size black screen. to start. 

upstate n y troopers have a hard on for bikers in general, especially after market pipes.  I have a friend that is a bike guru so ill talk to him about what's practical.  I live near Vermont in mountains in bike country so I often hear bikes coming my way at high speeds due to the loud pipes   I prefer a stealthy approach when ripping along. Ymmv. 

After a while you might find yourself desperate for some decent suspension.  Other, like me, make do with standard. Have fun, you are certainly getting the right bike for that.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

I hope so, I will use it mostly for running around for work doing roof estimates and sales calls for my welding alloys so it is a fun way to save money on fuel and keep some miles off my SUV   A back pack and a tail bag should be enough most days. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is awkward. I stopped by the dealer I was waiting on my  mt 07 to come in a d they rolled into the showroom a new MT 09. Well I am now riding g a. New MT 09. Good luck and adieu