The MT-07 Forum

Trouble with 2wdw tune

e30kawi

Has anyone had an issue with their tune? The tune I had on my 2015 was dreamy. Power everywhere, less engine braking etc.

I finally got some seat time on my 2020 with the exact set-up and tune as my  last bike. It's nothing alike. All the engine braking is still there. Bogs between 3-4k rpm, and if I run it high into the revs and let it rev down on its own I get an occasional pop  and bang that all the tuner kids are in to.

Anyhow, has anyone not had a tune  take?   Should I send it back to get it double checked?

This reply has nothing to do with the topic at hand, just wanted to say good to hear you back on a MT07 since your accident!

• Thanks 1

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I had an issue with a 2WDW flash on  my wifes' R3... It was nothing like what you are experiencing??? Nels @ 2WDW is awesome to deal with!!  My wife had some minor "popping" on deceleration. I sent it back in, and the popping improved, but didn't go completely away. It's her  street bike, so not really an issue. All the engine braking was gone, and had power everywhere. It sounds like you you need to send it back in. Nels will make it "right"... Just out of curiosity, has your air filter ever been changed? Also, the OEM spark plugs are only good for about 8K. If they are over 8K, spend the extra $3 per plug for the "Iridium" plugs that are good for 20K+... Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Just now, cornerslider said:

I had an issue with a 2WDW flash on  my wifes' R3... It was nothing like what you are experiencing??? Nels @ 2WDW is awesome to deal with!!  My wife had some minor "popping" on deceleration. I sent it back in, and the popping improved, but didn't go completely away. It's her  street bike, so not really an issue. All the engine braking was gone, and had power everywhere. It sounds like you you need to send it back in. Nels will make it "right"... Just out of curiosity, has your air filter ever been changed? Also, the OEM spark plugs are only good for about 8K. If they are over 8K, spend the extra $3 per plug for the "Iridium" plugs that are good for 20K+... Good luck-

Bike is practically brand new. I bought it with 1300 miles on it and have put on maybe a hundred since then. I'll call him tomorrow and see if we can figure something out.

• Like 1

FZ not MT
19 hours ago, e30kawi said:

The tune I had on my 2015 was dreamy. Power everywhere, less engine braking etc.

I had to respond because how you described your 2015 2WDW tune is exactly how I would describe my 2016 2WDW tune. I'm going to be interested in what Nels says. I demo rode a new XSR 700 a year ago, and was very surprised how all the BS that was in my original mapping was gone - it ran fairly smoothly compared to what mine was like.  This leads me to believe that Yamaha has improved the mapping from the first run as yours and mine are. My question would be whether 2WDW used their older mapping or changed it to match any changes in the newer models.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd update this thread. For some reason this website wouldn't load for a long time, any how, I spoke to 2wdw and they helped me trouble shoot it over the phone. I think it's the O2 sensor.

I've only rode it once since unplugging it but it seemed to help with the bogging.  Will update again once I replace the sensor.

I've been having some minor issues that we have been trying to troubleshoot.  I had the flash to the ecu done along with the FTECU active tune with the wide band O2 sensor and the Graves exhaust. 

First issue is the check engine light wont go away.  I'm have a scanner on the way to hopefully figure that out.

Second it has a stumble at idle.  The bike actually stalled out on me yesterday while at a stop sign.  It seems like it wants to stall at idle like every 10 sec or so.

Third it has a slight stumble when I give the gas a good twist but it recovers good.  For street riding it isn't a big deal but if I were trying to race the bike it would be something that would need to be figured out.

I've been in contact with 2WDW.  They have been helpful and we are trying to figure out what the issues are.  I've checked my work and I've swapped to the narrow band O2 to see is it made a difference but it didn't.  I'm thinking I may be sending the ecu back for a second go at flash.

Other then whats listed above the bike seems to run good.  No popping, stays coolish.  The highest temp I saw yesterday in 90 degree weather was 197 degrees and that was in stop and go traffic.  When on the gas and going through the gears it pulls strong I just need to be smooth on throttle.

I'm interested in to seeing what the other solutions are.

Quick update for my issues.

Got my scanner the other day.  Had a number of fault codes.  I was able to clear out all but one.  I have only done a quick ride since then but the ones I cleared haven't come back yet.  Hopefully they don't  The one I wasn't able to clear is P0030.  It's related to the wide band O2 sensor.  If I plug in the stock sensor I can clear the code.  Once the wide band sensor is plugged in the code comes back.

According to 2WDW that code isn't even supposed to exist in the ecu after the flash.  They were going to contact FTECU to see if they had suggestions.  No word yet but it has only been a couple days.  Hopefully we can get this sorted out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update for my issue.  Been going back and forth with 2WDW for a couple of weeks now trying to figure out whats going on.  They have been in contact with FTECU and have come to the conclusion that it is a software issue.  Reading some of the other threads here about similar issues it seems logical.  My ECU is once again off on a 3000 mile journey to get flashed again.  Hopefully this does fix the issues I've been having.  At any rate my ECU will have traveled 12000 miles while the bike is just above 200 :(  At least 2WDW has a super fast turn around so I should be back on the road by the end of next week.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got my ECU back today.  Still having the same issues.  Not sure what to do at this point.  I did try to get a different O2 sensor thinking maybe I just got a bad sensor, but none of the places around me had it with the proper wire length.  I might go back tomorrow and get one just to see if I can make it work.  At the very least I would be able to plug it in and see if it is indeed a sensor issue.

Up to this point 2WDW has been responsive and as helpful as they can be.  I don't expect to change.  It seems to be the FTECU stuff I'm having problems with.  Since I am not their direct customer I've been feeding my info through 2WDW.  At this point I kind of wish I just skipped their active tune stuff.  Not all that impressed.

I'm waiting to hear back from 2WDW to see what my next move will be.  I'm thinking about taking the data logging stuff of the race bike and tossing it on the MT to see if we can find out what is going on.  If we can find the problem maybe we can fix it.

GoldenMT07

I've got the 2WDW flash on my stock 2021 (snorkel removed) and everything is perfect.  Guys are great at 2WDW so I suggest giving them a call.

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2022 at 2:01 AM, union said:

Got my ECU back today.  Still having the same issues.  Not sure what to do at this point.  I did try to get a different O2 sensor thinking maybe I just got a bad sensor, but none of the places around me had it with the proper wire length.  I might go back tomorrow and get one just to see if I can make it work.  At the very least I would be able to plug it in and see if it is indeed a sensor issue.

Up to this point 2WDW has been responsive and as helpful as they can be.  I don't expect to change.  It seems to be the FTECU stuff I'm having problems with.  Since I am not their direct customer I've been feeding my info through 2WDW.  At this point I kind of wish I just skipped their active tune stuff.  Not all that impressed.

I'm waiting to hear back from 2WDW to see what my next move will be.  I'm thinking about taking the data logging stuff of the race bike and tossing it on the MT to see if we can find out what is going on.  If we can find the problem maybe we can fix it.

Any improvement with new O2 sensor?

Just now, Andrew2791 said:

Any improvement with new O2 sensor?

Didn't end up getting one.  Not sure if I will or not.  The local auto store has the right sensor but the cable is a little shorter.  The bike is running better after I got the ecu back.  It's stalling issue at idle seems to be gone.  The flash tune stuff is just collecting dust.