The MT-07 Forum

Video of me crashing

bartman5impson

bartman5impson

I was headed up a twisty road going a little faster than I should have. As I enter the right hander I notice some sand/gravel that has been kicked into my lane ahead. I stay on the front brake until just before hitting the gravel patch because I did not want to risk washing out the front tire. I am not leaned over very far as I run over the gravel so I simply expect the bike to squirrel a little under me. Instead, the rear swings way out and when it swings back violently I completely lose control. Before I know it me and my bike are parallel to the ground sliding across the other lane.

Like any time I ride far I was in full gear. Cheap $400 RST race suit., cheap RST race boots, Alpinestars gauntlet leather gloves. I wound up with 3 minor injuries. I was a bit disappointed in my $140 msrp sp2 v3 gloves. They are leather which held up well but even in this short slide the pinky finger split open leaving me with road rash. The insides of the fingers are a cheap fabric I guess for comfort. Next pair of gloves will be 100% leather. Absolutely no injuries to my ankles or feet, which I credit my boots for. They do not have the same fit and finish as my old Dainese boots but they did their job well so I can't complain. My leather suit got some scuffs on the forearms and thighs like you'd expect. Inside the knee, just outside the knee armor coverage, the (thick) leather wore completely through leaving me with a quarter-sized road rash spot on my knee. At some point my inside knee was slammed and dug into the ground (I also had a bruise)  but I don't know if it wore through only because this is a cheap suit. My hip got a pretty bad palm sized bruise and now I've ordered a pair of CE hip armor.

The bike wasn't in too bad shape. The taillight was completely destroyed so I replaced that. The passenger seat latch broke off so I need a new rear seat. The two rear tail pieces broke off the mounts so I had to replace those as well. My Woodcraft frame slider and OES rear spool did their job. No mechanical damage to the bike. The damage from the slide was cosmetic and that includes the water pump cover, rearset, passenger peg, bar end, and brake lever getting scuffed. I am taking the downtime to do a couple of mods an install a new set of tires. My rear was at the wear bars and it may have contributed to losing traction. Or of course I could have been going slower. Hindsight is 20/20.

Edited by bartman5impson
  • Like 5

M. Hausknecht

Aw, that sucks. I'm glad you're ok and that your bike isn't too busted up. Your experience exemplifies one of the reasons why I rarely ride on the street any more. Just trying to have a little fun and, BOOM!  Thank whatever higher power you might believe in that there wasn't a car in the other lane when you were skidding across it. Perhaps try a track day? No gravel or on-coming cars to worry about.

For hip protection on track, I use: 

T2-Shorts-with-pads-1.png

T2 – Seven Pad Impact Protection System - Stay safe and comfortable when doing action sports with Tortoise Pads impact...

Much better than the CE stuff in my nearly $2000 A'stars race suit.

• Like 5

• Premium Member

Not too much you could do there, those are some of the dangers with street riding.

Glad you are okay. A little scary seeing that car come around a blind corner afterwards. 😮

Ed

• Like 3

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Global Moderator

Wow that bike looks great even in the ditch. You copped a really cool crash video, there is that. But like always, all the band of brothers here, we want you to be ok

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

For hip protection on track, I use: 

T2-Shorts-with-pads-1.png

T2 – Seven Pad Impact Protection System - Stay safe and comfortable when doing action sports with Tortoise Pads impact...

That's the same rubber undies I wear, but mine are cause I'm old and they .... well, never mind

• Haha 2

bartman5impson

Bike's all fixed up now. I broke in new Bridgestone S22's and did a passenger peg delete and installed carbon heel guards and a motion pro throttle tube. I am loving the new throttle tube. I no longer have to twist my elbow under the bar to get wide open throttle. I also did a throttle body sync but I may have made things worse. I stalled the bike like three times today even though I usually go months at a time without stalling. Either I am being overly cautious while taking off with the new shorter throttle but I also remember the throttle body vacuum cap had a crack in it. I think it may be leaking and causing the stalling problem.

IMG_5772.thumb.jpeg.71fedc2b8279cd0b233952d5f6b73907.jpeg

• Like 3

you could try adjusting your clutch freeplay and using just 2 fingers (index and middle) to pull the clutch, might help with not stalling. also noticed your LHS mirror is gone, are you going to leave it out? did it snap off in the crash?

Edited by 00RAH

The motorcycle looks very nice, good job with the reparation.

Also I am glad you were okay after the accident.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bartman5impson said:

a motion pro throttle tube. I am loving the new throttle tube. I no longer have to twist my elbow under the bar to get wide open throttle.

If you like the Motion Pro, up the cash for the OEM Yamaha R6 tube - definitely better than the Motion Pro!

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-2C0262400000-Yamaha-Grip-Assembly/dp/B005C59NO2

bartman5impson
Just now, 00RAH said:

you could try adjusting your clutch freeplay and using just 2 fingers (index and middle) to pull the clutch, might help with not stalling. also noticed your LHS mirror is gone, are you going to leave it out? did it snap off in the crash?

It's not a clutch problem. When I messed with the throttle body I adjusted it too far or one of the caps has a vacuum leak. The bike is now idling inconsistently when sitting at a stop lights. Yes, one of my mirrors broke off in the crash. I installed new grips and the throttle side hangs over the throttle tube and is rubbing the bar end so I need to fix that first. If I can't reposition the grip I will just cut off the edge to get clearance.

• Like 1

bartman5impson
Just now, FZ not MT said:

If you like the Motion Pro, up the cash for the OEM Yamaha R6 tube - definitely better than the Motion Pro!

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-2C0262400000-Yamaha-Grip-Assembly/dp/B005C59NO2

I chose the motion pro 01-0094 because it's not as agressive as the oem r6 tube. It's definitely a noticeable change and I'm happy with it. I'm actually having to change the way I ride with it. Before I would short shift just so my wrist wouldn't be overextended for whatever speed I was cruising at. Now that that isn't a problem I find myself riding at a gear lower a lot of the time.

7 hours ago, bartman5impson said:

I'm actually having to change the way I ride with it.

It took me about a 100 miles to fully get use to the R6 tube, but I was really happy I took the advice of the many people on this forum who went with the R6 tube. The good news is that you know how to change it, which means that if you switch, it will only take you 15 minutes to do it. The better news is that this bike begs to be tweaked, so the next time you get the bug, the R6 tube is only a $30 tweak, and you can sell the Motion Pro on the forum.

Tweaking your bike is half the fun of having it 😁

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 12:31 AM, bartman5impson said:

... I also remember the throttle body vacuum cap had a crack in it. I think it may be leaking and causing the stalling problem.

A brief spray of starter fluid around the area will detect a vacuum leak. The RPM will speed up a bit.

• Like 1

Wow. Glad to see you’re ok. Thanks for sharing. Anyone else appalled that the passing car didn’t stop to see if you’re ok? 

bartman5impson
Just now, Kiwii said:

Wow. Glad to see you’re ok. Thanks for sharing. Anyone else appalled that the passing car didn’t stop to see if you’re ok?

I record in superview and in reality things are a lot closer than they look on video. That car would have had to slam on their brakes coming around that corner to stop in time for me. They did turn around and I had them slow traffic so I could move the bike to the other side of the road.

6 hours ago, Kiwii said:

Maxwrist just put out a video where he comes up on a dude who just crashed off a cliff. 
Dude is laying on the ground with a broken arm and no bike in sight and at least 25 people come by (mostly on bikes) and slowed down to look but not one stopped to help for at least 2 minutes.
Blew my mind that there’s that many people out there that actually don’t give a shet about other riders. 

Edited by Mt707

• 1 month later...

man, I guess wearing full protection regardless cheap or high-end gear really plays well in a situation like this... bike looks NICE!!

• 1 year later...

This is valuable sharing the video like this. I have a road close to me that is very similar (less busy though). Being familiar with the road I sometimes dial it up a bit especially if I have made a suspension tweak. So many times there is gravel or crap that has fallen out the back of a pickup truck.

I'm glad you and your bike are only bruised and scraped... Effing people! You think someone would at least check to see if you were okay.