The MT-07 Forum

New owner of FZ-07, but concerned

SeanK

Hello to All,

I have recently purchased a 2016 FZ-07 with about 6K miles.  Tires have maybe 800 miles on them.  I have made sure the air pressure is correct.  But as much as I hate to say it, the bike handles like complete crap compared to other bikes I have owned and one I still own.  I have had two Ninja 650s and currently own a 2021 MT-03 . Both handled great in turns at speed (40MPH to 60 MPH) in turns on the same roads. But this bike seems to have no stability AT ALL in turns. Sitting still the suspension feels fine. But on the road at riding speeds, it feels like I'm riding on mud, I have owned a dirt bike, so I know how it feels to ride on  mud and gravel. I have no confidence in this bike in turns, I'm having to slow down 10 MPH below posted speeds to get through turns and even then it feels iffy. Where as my MT-03 feels like its on rails with all the confidence in the world, same with the 2013 Ninja 650 I had.   Tires are a well known brand(I forget) and only about a  year old.  The Bike does not leak any fluids either and runs quite well.  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Triple Jim

Welcome to the board, SeanK.   As you probably know, this is not normal for an FZ-07.  I'd start by checking for looseness in places like the head bearings, wheel bearings, and swingarm bearings.  Also any other place you can think of that might add slop to the system.  Grasp wheels and push them in various directions to see if there is movement there shouldn't be.  Same with the other parts.  I bet something is moving around.  Don't overlook the frame, either... keep an eye on it for movement as you're pushing on things.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Jim has given very good suggestions. If you have the original shock, its likely doing very little damping at this point. It was marginal at best when new and is worn out now.