The MT-07 Forum

Rear Shock

Devilman

I have only been riding for three years so far, I consider myself a newbie. The only other bike I've owned was a 2018 Honda Rebel 500 and that suspension sucked. I've owned a 2019 MT-07 for the last couple of years and put on a little bit over 11K miles on it so far. Enough of my history LOL, so here is the question. How long does the rear shock last and how can I tell it is getting weak? So far it seems good. But I've never rode a bike with premo suspension. LOL. Also I weigh 185lbs.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Rebound damping going away is what you should notice first. The rear tire goes over a bump and then the  rear spring extends substantially unimpeded, kicking up the back end of the bike. You should feel that in your butt. You might also  notice that the forks seem to collapse more under braking than they used to, and that the chassis pitches front to back more freely. By 11k mikes I expect it would be ready for replacement.

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
6 hours ago, Devilman said:

...But I've never rode a bike with premo suspension

Ya, here's the thing, you still haven't. Stock suspension is the great weakness. Do a search online here, there are some options for really patching things up at a reasonable cost, but I can't speak to them, I went Ohlins all the way when I picked the bike up (I also have a 2019, the xsr old fart model)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

Ya, here's the thing, you still haven't. Stock suspension is the great weakness. Do a search online here, there are some options for really patching things up at a reasonable cost, but I can't speak to them, I went Ohlins all the way when I picked the bike up (I also have a 2019, the xsr old fart model)

Hey I like to old fart model. LOL. Been keeping an eye out at the new XSR 900. I would love cruise control but I don't know if I need all that power. I don't know if it would be a waste. And also, good luck finding them. LOL

• 1 year later...

On the topic of rear suspension and suspension generally....  My question is simple, maybe dumb, but I wonder why the MT-07 and bikes generally can't have suspensions that withstand the impact of "highway hummocks" (note below) like auto suspensions seem to do. The MT's OEM shock was brutal, such that hitting a hummock rattled my teeth and kicked my butt off the saddle. I replaced the OEM shock with a K-Tech upgrade--still brutal. Dialing back the preload helped some, but the impacts are still nasty.           If I understand the physics correctly, the shock spring serves to modulate the force of a suspension impact (though that force must ultimately reach the frame, as the spring won't dissipate it) by "deforming" initially and then subsequently "reforming."  The "absorbing" function of the shock serves not only to dampen the spring's oscillation but to actually minimize the impact force (in both directions--compression and extension) by converting mechanical energy into heat; thus shocks heat up in use.                              What I wonder is why bikes can't have suspensions that, as I said, moderate and absorb impacts as well as many autos (though my Honda Blackbird is much better in this respect than the MT-07)?  Is the Honda shock, even at 20 years old, that much better than the Yamaha, and even better than the K-Tech, which is meant to be a premium upgrade over the OEM Yamaha?  Are there after-market shocks that are better than the K-Tech?  By the way, the priority here is not suspension control in racing applications on smooth tracks but comfort (even rideability) on ordinary-use highways.

Thanks for listening;

Dr J

"Highway Hummocks"--transverse ridges across the highway caused by macadam over-paving of original concrete surfaces rising up at the original concrete joint, sometimes as much as 2" high.