The MT-07 Forum

Front amber reflector to red

Chomorro

Silly thing but I'm looking to change my 2016 fz front amber reflector to red or even better red circle instead.   I think some of the newer ones have amber circles and I have seen a few pics with red.

Anyone know which model front reflector will bolt on? Don't want to remove them because the Brackets would still be needed.

Be careful.  In the state I live in, the law requires amber reflectors and lights at the front and sides of a vehicle, and red reflectors and lights at the rear.

• Like 2

Just now, Triple Jim said:

Be careful.  In the state I live in, the law requires amber reflectors and lights at the front and sides of a vehicle, and red reflectors and lights at the rear.

Good point I was under the assumption any reflector was fine.  Need to read up on it, I used to remove them from my bikes and use reflective rim tape instead but thought a red circular one would look decent 

Just now, Chomorro said:

...but thought a red circular one would look decent 

I don't think about them and they disappear.   🙂

• Haha 1

• Global Moderator

I removed the front reflectors and brackets years ago.  I know I am technically not legal, but I doubt any cop would care.  I also have red reflective tape on my rims and I feel that will make me at least as noticeable as the reflector (if not more so). 

I am curious why you want to leave the brackets on?

If anything like the XSR the right side bracket secures the ABS wiring.   The FZ/MT 07 might be the same.

I cut the bracket into two pieces leaving the wire/hose portions while eliminating the rest.  I made a folding a corner like an ear to lock it in place when bolted in place.  Now it looks like it belongs that way without a reflector.   

196802552_reflectorbracket1.JPG.2cf5cbee10e07656e926c052126c8d00.JPG

I don't know if the state laws apply to just the manufacturer or to the owner too.   I know many laws apply to the production, like bicycle reflectors and DOT helmets.  But it is the owner's choice to remove the reflectors or wear a beany cap in states without helmet laws.   

By the way, there are laws about the signal spacing, size, and possibly brightness for turn signals.  That's why there are the weird spacers pushing the mount brackets out like an inch on each side of the XSR.  Rather than make all new stuff Yamaha just stuck in spacers to push the signals out to the DOT required spacing.   Most riders pull the spacers out and now are not within DOT.   I know in Ohio the individual can change that stuff.  Not sure about other places.

I'd think reflective tape on the rims would meet the laws for the side reflectors, just in a different size and way.

Edited by klx678
  • Thanks 1