The MT-07 Forum

New MT-07 Owner - MT-07 Done Right LOL

YamahaMan

Nice Brother!!
Super impressive.

What Windvisor \shield do you have on it?

Have considered getting one for mine (when it comes in... been waiting since Feb. There is a hint that I will get it next week. Crossing fingers). One thing I had questioned, have RAM mount that will go, parallel, above the display and wondered if there there would be room to still get to the key LOL.

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

10 hours ago, YamahaMan said:

MT-07 with R7 Front end...  modified Top Triple Clamp to accommodate the Bushings and Risers.

That is the standout mod - the way they should have come from the factory. Very clean, very nice.

46 minutes ago, balkor2 said:

Nice Brother!!
Super impressive.

What Windvisor \shield do you have on it?

Have considered getting one for mine (when it comes in... been waiting since Feb. There is a hint that I will get it next week. Crossing fingers). One thing I had questioned, have RAM mount that will go, parallel, above the display and wondered if there there would be room to still get to the key LOL.

There is room,  I believe I got this on ebay,  Yamaha has a factory one.   I will take some close up pictures.  There is plenty of room

Just now, Lone Wolf said:

That is the standout mod - the way they should have come from the factory. Very clean, very nice.

I agree with you 100%  I know they want to keep the cost down and that is why they do not.  Upside down forks are more expensive and a bit heavier.  Since people modify R7 with after market forks a lot, you can find R7 forks and brakes on Ebay.   Thats what I did.   

• Like 1

Just now, YamahaMan said:

... you can find R7 forks and brakes on Ebay.   That's what I did.   

Awesome. And the stock ones you took off would be valuable to someone that hit a wall.

Just now, Lone Wolf said:

Awesome. And the stock ones you took off would be valuable to someone that hit a wall.

Probably if someone crashed their bike.... I gave em to the shop that helped me w the project

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Wow, that is a very nice build!

The R7 front end is really clean, I agree that's the way it should come. What led you that route instead of cartridges? Is the total cost comparable?

On 9/9/2022 at 12:53 AM, YamahaMan said:

Since people modify R7 with after market forks a lot, you can find R7 forks and brakes on Ebay.   Thats what I did.   

Nice!!! So the forks swap directly into the MT’s clamps? I’m seriously considering that for my project but could only find a set of bent r7 forks and wasn’t sure where the 41mm is measured fork-wise, especially since the r7’s are inverted and vice versa. Fitment was my concern. 

That’s a good mod man, looks good!!

Just now, FrodoFZ said:

Nice!!! So the forks swap directly into the MT’s clamps? I’m seriously considering that for my project but could only find a set of bent r7 forks and wasn’t sure where the 41mm is measured fork-wise, especially since the r7’s are inverted and vice versa. Fitment was my concern. 

That’s a good mod man, looks good!!

Yes the only think you have to do is to drill the upper triple clamp of the R7 so the MT-07 Risers bolt into it.  You will have to fabricate two small brackets to hole the headlight assembly's top side to the upper triple tree.  Really basic.  

Everything is a direct fit.  You will have to buy a couple of R7 washers I think for the triple tree thats all. 

What you can get is the MT-09 Front Fender, R7 Brake calipers, forks, upper and lower triple tree.  front wheel spacers for R7.   

5 hours ago, Terry_b said:

Wow, that is a very nice build!

The R7 front end is really clean, I agree that's the way it should come. What led you that route instead of cartridges? Is the total cost comparable?

The radial mounted brakes and also Upside Down Forks are so much stronger and less flex.   You can still the Ohlins cartridges for the R7 Forks.

Just now, YamahaMan said:

Yes the only think you have to do is to drill the upper triple clamp of the R7 so the MT-07 Risers bolt into it.

Oh ok so you installed the R7 triples and got rid of the MT’s. Thanks for that info!

I was doing some part number cross referencing last night, and the R7 front calipers are the same as 2020 R6 calipers (probably applies to earlier years as well) so if you were ever thinking about aftermarket calipers, aftermarket R6 calipers should bolt right up. Figured I’d share.

Again, super cool mods man!

Fun facts: MT-07 uses 15 mm master.  R7 has 16 mm.  Yet both have same caliper size.  Upgrade to Brembo 17 mm RCS and call it done, lol!

• Like 1

Did you happen to find the difference in the weight between the fork sets?  What's more important is the amount of unsprung weight added, not necessarily the entire mass of the fork set.

I have not measured that but u can look at R7’s weight and will be close.   The unsprung mass should not change as upside fork sliders are not heavier than conventional fork legs if anything probably lighter.  Overall fork weight is heavier.  

the forks are probably the same at MT-09 I think.   Not verified but if I had to guess

i changed the rear shock assembly to R7 as well.  Ride height of R is higher as is its rake and trail.  Frame and swing-arm are the same.  This was not required but I did it anyways

the larger brake master cylinders provide more aggressive braking and not necessarily a better braking feel.   So I stayed with the stock Brembo on the MT-07.

i also swaped the clutch basket to theR7 slipper clutch basket.  This was an excellent improvement.

Added R7 quick shifter just to do it. LOL

• Like 1

R7 and MT 09 forks are the same part numbers, just cross-referenced them. That might make things a little easier for those wanting to do this swap👍🏼

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 9:38 PM, crakerjac said:

Can you post pictures of the brackets you made to attach the headlight to the upper triple?

you can see the bracket here.  ITs too long, light is pointing down too much need to adjust it

brkt.jpg

• Thanks 1

This bike really needed to have a 4.5" rims and run a 160 in rear and a 120/60 up front.  They saddled this bike with too much rubber and it could be much much nimbler with a 120/60 front and 160 in rear but with a 4.5" rim not 5.5".   This bike does not make enough power to warrant a 180.  its too slow handling in my opinion for a bike this light

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, YamahaMan said:

you can see the bracket here.  ITs too long, light is pointing down too much need to adjust it

brkt.jpg

Which top triple is that?  It sounds like you said it's an R7 triple above, but when I google search R7 upper clamps, I'm coming up with something that looks a bit different... 

image.thumb.png.9512f25d768b548cfa4ea4570e2db15e.png

Yes its a 2022 R7 Triple clamp.  I had it modified to accommodate handle bar bushings.  You don't really need to do that tho I was being too detailed.  You can use two firm rubber washers above and below and use nuts that have a flanged bottom for better force distribution.   The top triple clamp is very thin and I was worried if the torque induced by the handlebar while braking hard with the weight of the rider on the handle bars might fracture the top tree, but as I said i was being overly concerned.