The MT-07 Forum

Diagnos and Repair Charging System (Stator etc)

tomb

Hello! First post on here, total newbie to the forum but no stranger to motorcycle/car maintenance and repair. Apologies if this has been covered well in another post, I couldn't find what I needed by searching the forum.

I had a minor crash while turning onto the freeway over a patch of gravel.

Since the crash my battery has died over and over again.

After testing I've determined the battery is in good working condition.

My assumption is that the issue is with the stator, its connecting cables or its fuses.

Can someone give me a little hand-holding and lead me through how to diagnose my issue and repair it?

Hopefully said help will come with a video or a manual reference. I'm happy to shell out some cash for the right manual too if you guys believe that's my best route to success here, just want to avoid any lost time and money on this repair.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

• Premium Member

If you are handy with electrical stuff- (I am not), I suggest you get a genuine Yamaha factory service manual. I do all my own work on my "07", and probably would get myself in trouble without the manual. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

It seems to me the stator on this bike is rather frail, and can't take a left side crash/drop. 

I can get you a link to buy the service manual, same place I bought it.  No idea where the PDF files are.

According to service manual article 8-141.  Check stator coil resistance.  It should be at 0.128 ohms to 0.192 ohms.  Firstly, disconnect the negative battery cable for safety purposes.  Then disconnect the stator coil coupler which is connected to the regulator/rectifier (R/R).  The coupler is located at left side of the bike connected to the R/R.  The R/R is the chunky grey piece of metal with cooling fins located behind the side fairing.  There's two coupler's connected to it.  The stator coupler is the left one. 3-phase AC, so it's a 3 wire check for resistance.  In this example, Cody checks for both resistance and continuity as well.  

If the stator fails the tests, you gotta open up the stator cover and check the stator for physical damage ie. loose, broken wires.  If the stator passes the tests, it must be something else.  

Good luck!

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
Just now, sweetscience said:

According to service manual article 8-141.  Check stator...

That's a great response to the OP. He wanted reference materials and some directions to go about it, and you gave him both. That's the kind of help that's really appreciated - especially when it's electrical problems. Hard to diagnose those dang atomic particles!

Just now, sweetscience said:

It seems to me the stator on this bike is rather frail, and can't take a left side crash/drop. 

I can get you a link to buy the service manual, same place I bought it.  No idea where the PDF files are.

According to service manual article 8-141.  Check stator coil resistance.  It should be at 0.128 ohms to 0.192 ohms.  Firstly, disconnect the negative battery cable for safety purposes.  Then disconnect the stator coil coupler which is connected to the regulator/rectifier (R/R).  The coupler is located at left side of the bike connected to the R/R.  The R/R is the chunky grey piece of metal with cooling fins located behind the side fairing.  There's two coupler's connected to it.  The stator coupler is the left one. 3-phase AC, so it's a 3 wire check for resistance.  In this example, Cody checks for both resistance and continuity as well.  

If the stator fails the tests, you gotta open up the stator cover and check the stator for physical damage ie. loose, broken wires.  If the stator passes the tests, it must be something else.  

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I'll start with this and post with my results. You rock ❤️

Just now, Pursuvant said:

That's a great response to the OP. He wanted reference materials and some directions to go about it, and you gave him both. That's the kind of help that's really appreciated - especially when it's electrical problems. Hard to diagnose those dang atomic particles!

hell yeah