The MT-07 Forum

Daytona Gearing?

Tpadden

Any recommendations for a good starting point for gearing at Daytona?  Amateur racer on stock motor with typical bolt ons/tuning, first time at Daytona.  I was thinking stock gearing 16/43 as a starting point. Thanks!

I haven't raced my 07 at Daytona and I have a bit more power than you, so I can't speak from personal experience. I've run a 15:43 at Roebling and Summit Point, both tracks with fairly long straights and not run out of revs or reached terminal velocity (with 90+rwhp and 180/60 rear tire). At least with stock gearing you won't have to worry about running out of revs. You might go just as fast or faster with a 15:43, close to or reaching terminal velocity. Still, I'd put on a 16 and then choose between 43-45 tooth rear sprocket for Daytona as a place to start.

Thanks for the feedback.  I’ve been running 16/44 most the season (Summit, NJMP, CMP) I’ll have to experiment with some more aggressive gearing next season.

Just now, Tpadden said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I’ve been running 16/44 most the season (Summit, NJMP, CMP) I’ll have to experiment with some more aggressive gearing next season.

Oh gosh, you're running tall gearing. At CMP I've run 15:43 or 44 and only barely need 6th gear to run lowish 1:41 lap times. I use a rev limit of 10400 rpm, and rarely exceed 10,000 except to avoid a quick/upshift downshift scenario.