The MT-07 Forum

why is my used 2015 fz07 bike set up like this ?

TMTYWSH

Got a great deal on this 2015 FZ07 (bought it a few years ago before prices went crazy).

Here is how it was setup:

The usual: K/N filter high flow setup, akrapovic exhaust, tail tidy

The unusual: quick turn throttle, woodcraft clipons, woodcraft rear sets, power commander

I have no complains about the setup, except the quick turn throttle...but my question is: why  is it setup like this ?

I can't find another owner with the same setup. It is like the previous own set this up to be more like a sport bike, which begs another question - why put all this money into an fz07, why not just buy a sport bike (or a Honda 650R) ?

and yes the back tire was bald when I picked up the bike...

Edited by TMTYWSH
grammies

M. Hausknecht

Quicker turn throttle is a fairly common mod with a lower horsepower bike. With the clip-ons and rear sets, prior owner was clearly interested in a more sporting ride. The mods in question are relatively inexpensive. You can put $5000-6000 into these bikes as street bikes, so several hundred dollars of mods isn't really over the top.

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

Quicker turn throttle is a fairly common mod with a lower horsepower bike. With the clip-ons and rear sets, prior owner was clearly interested in a more sporting ride. The mods in question are relatively inexpensive. You can put $5000-6000 into these bikes as street bikes, so several hundred dollars of mods isn't really over the top.

I believe he put about $2000-$2500 into in (so mid range I guess);  woodcraft stuff is expensive, plus the exhaust, CRG levels, flush turn signals, and power commander.  Wow, now im interested in the 5k+ modded bikes. It's a fantastic machine, I was just wondering if he was trying to race or stunt, or just (as you said) more sporty ride.

One problem I have, I get a steering wobble over 100, so I don't know how fast the previous rider could possibly go...I'm trying to add a steering damper, but with the woodcraft clipons it might not be possible.

The first thing to do would be to check and adjust the head bearings, and check for looseness in the swing arm and wheel bearings.  It shouldn't wobble at 100 mph, and adding a damper to stop it would be a band-aid fix if it were caused by a chassis part being out of adjustment or worn.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

If my bike wobbled once at 100 I would kiss the ground after, and get competent help, and no way over 65mph until there's the reasons and they get fixed

Just now, Triple Jim said:

The first thing to do would be to check and adjust the head bearings, and check for looseness in the swing arm and wheel bearings.  It shouldn't wobble at 100 mph, and adding a damper to stop it would be a band-aid fix if it were caused by a chassis part being out of adjustment or worn.

yes thank you, next time in the shop im going to ask them to check the front wheel bearing and the other things you mentioned.

Well, I want a steering damper, although im told these bikes don't need it because of the rake and trail (I think), because I've seen too many wobble videos on youtube and my GSXR has a damper and it's stable all the way to max speed (no comment on what that is ;)

Just now, Pursuvant said:

If my bike wobbled once at 100 I would kiss the ground after, and get competent help, and no way over 65mph until it's there's the reasons and they get fixed

it's a slight wobble (surprised me), the fz07 is my first non-sport bike, so I wasn't expecting it. youtubber gixxer-bro had one for a few days and his wobbled over 100 also, I though it was a naked bike/fz07 thing until I've watched other videos with fz07/mt07 running at stop speed and stable.

I didn't buy the 07 to go 100+ all the time, but I do want it to be stable and safe.

• Like 1

sweetscience

Old, worn tyres can affect handling.  Check, balance and align tyres first.  Wonder why bike's handle great with new tyre's?  Because their profile is not out of round. 

If the bike was laid down, stunted, abused.  Front end out of whack. Then check everything else as mentioned by other posters.  Torque all major/critical fasteners.  Yes, u need torque wrenches (3 at least), and a service manual.  

Altered suspension geometry, old suspension oil must be taken into consideration.

Yes, post pics of bike from all angles, if you please.

• Like 1

My '16 would wobble the bars at any speed if you took your hands off. It was the tread pattern of the front Conti Motion tire doing it. It was heavier at lower speeds and you couldn't feel it at all with even one hand laying on the bars. 

I've been on some long trips where we were flat hustling. Multiple hours spent sitting around 100mph speeds nonstop. With or without luggage, the bike is solid as a rock. At long as I didn't have a Conti Motion on the front. It just didn't work with this chassis.

So called death wobble isn't "a naked bike thing". All bikes are naked other than faired sport bikes and some touring bikes. If your bike has wobbles there's something wrong somewhere. It's not inherent , so don't let it worry you. Very likely it just needs a front tire or head bearings checked like mentioned above. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 3

He may not have seen the "put your chest on the gas tank if it starts to wobble" video.

nozeitgeist1800
Just now, Triple Jim said:

He may not have seen the "put your chest on the gas tank if it starts to wobble" video.

i didnt know that was a thing, either. ive only ever heard to loosen your grip on the handles if/when that happens, that trying to manually correct it back to straight is a good way to end up sideways. ive never experienced one, so no idea if thats accurate though