The MT-07 Forum

Upgrade MT-07 with Carbon Fiber Parts

Martin_MOS_MOTOR

Martin_MOS_MOTOR

Hello,

I am from Taiwan, We are wondering how is the trend of applying carbon fiber parts to MT-07 in other countries.

In Taiwan the trend is very popular that upgrading the body and fairing parts with carbon fiber parts will upgrade the bike to the next level and it shows luxury. Please check my modification to my bike hehe..

I want to gather some insight. Thanks

1. Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank Upper Cover for Yamaha MT-07 2021 2022.jpg

2. Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank Cap Cover for Yamaha MT-07 2021 2022.jpg

4. Carbon Fiber Radiator Covers for Yamaha MT-07 2021 2022.jpg

6. Carbon Fiber Parts and Accessorie for Yamaha MT-07 2021 2022.jpg

They're certainly decorative, but I'm not sure it's really much of an upgrade.

Welcome to the board, Martin!

• Global Moderator

Saving a few ounces is not going to do anything measurable to the performance.  They do look cool, and would look even cooler if the warning stickers had been removed (that was the first thing I did to “improve” my bike). 

• Like 1

I checked the MOS website.  If I'm reading it correctly, the fuel tank upper cover, which is $23 at Partzilla, is $140 for the carbon fiber version.

Just now, mjh937 said:

Saving a few ounces is not going to do anything measurable to the performance.  They do look cool, and would look even cooler if the warning stickers had been removed (that was the first thing I did to “improve” my bike). 

As soon as I got my bike home I destickered it. The speed difference once the sticker friction was gone was incredible 🥹.

On topic, I think the carbon fiber in certain spots looks good but I’ve never really been a fan (even on cars) and I can’t justify the price. I think if I was ganna go that route I’d just buy a roll of carbon fiber wrap. 

im curious what other mods are popular in Taiwan? 

• Like 2

M. Hausknecht

Carbon fiber on an 07, sorta like lipstick on a pig. Nothing wrong with pigs; they just don't look better with lipstick.

• Like 1

sweetscience

You're absolutely right!  I dislike how my bike is covered in toys r us plastic.  A healthy dose of CF will take it to the next level.  Rear quarter panels and fenders will look fire.  I will say, that having disassembled the plastics from the bike, in total, there is a significant amount of mass to be shed there.  

Do we know the weight of the stock parts and the weight of the carbon fiber replacements?

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
Just now, Triple Jim said:

Do we know the weight of the stock parts and the weight of the carbon fiber replacements?

We're debating the performance benefit of tossing the plastic? How about the performance benefits of not eating breakfast before a ride? 

Carbon fiber can be cool, that's about it. But if you're trying to cut tenths of a second off lap times? Ok, carbon, but not till you've squeezed a dozen other possible performance potentials...

Off to the garage, to cut 39.6cm off the length of my kickstand, because my calculations show improved perform ....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

We're debating the performance benefit of tossing the plastic?

I'm trying to find out if the carbon parts are lighter, and if so, how much.  After all, carbon fiber parts are lighter only if they're made to be that way.

Edited by Triple Jim

M. Hausknecht
2 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I'm trying to find out if the carbon parts are lighter, and if so, how much.  After all, carbon fiber parts are lighter only if they're made to be that way.

Looks like many/most of the parts bolt on over the existing pieces, so they add weight........ plus look cool?

• Like 1

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

Looks like many/most of the parts bolt on over the existing pieces, so they add weight........ plus look cool?

Over the originals?  I give up!

On 10/8/2022 at 5:50 PM, Triple Jim said:

Over the originals?  I give up!

I was thinking they were carbon like parts that go over original equipment.
See a lot of the double sided tape for cars which "Carbon Fiber like stuff make my car go fast" LOL

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

The heart wants what the heart wants and there's nothing wrong with that. If they ultimately add weight but you like the look, that's fine. These bikes run good and won't mind a couple pounds of carbon fiber going along for the ride. 

A touring windshield standing tall in the wind will cause way more drag than a few dress up bits clinging to the body, and you don't see the windshield guys complaining about it. 

I think it looks good. And fun. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator
10 hours ago, shinyribs said:

The heart wants what the heart wants and there's nothing wrong with that....

I think it looks good. And fun. 

Agreed. I don't have a clue why I've never thought carbon for bike parts, but it makes a laptop cover over the top cool.

• Premium Member

I like the look of carbon fibre. I don't care about the cost vs. weight savings aspect. I think it just sets the owners bike apart from every other "07" owner. Bikes are about personal freedom. If someone wants to add something to set their bike off as slightly different than the rest, it say have at it!!!!!! Look at what Harley Davidson owners spend on extra chrome.... I'm pretty certain that you could buy every piece of carbon fiber for an 07, and not even come close to what HD owners spend on chrome! Most the HD owners don't care about weight, or performance. They just don't want to look like every other HD owner on the road. They want to personalize their bike- I think the same applies to carbon fiber for the non-HD crowd.......

• Like 3

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

3 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

The heart wants what the heart wants and there's nothing wrong with that....

How true!

7 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I think it just sets the owners bike apart from every other "07" owner. Bikes are about personal freedom. If someone wants to add something to set their bike off as slightly different than the rest, it say have at it!!!!!!

Facts! and Words of Wisdom. Can try to Argue that but will fail. LOL

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

• Global Moderator
Just now, balkor2 said:

How true!

Facts! and Words of Wisdom. Can try to Argue that but will fail. LOL

Wisdom is from @shinyribs