The MT-07 Forum

Problem with wiring new led turn signals

TheoGr

Hello all this is my first post in this forum. I am a new 2018 MT-07 owner and i recently bought a pair of led turn signals that have running lights (with 3 wires, 1 negative, 1 for the signals and 1 for day lights). I also bought a harness so that i wouldn't mess with the wires.
I tried to install them but could not get the white leds to run constantly. Then i checked the bike's stock connector and realized that only 2 pins were there. Is this normal ? Where should i connect the running lights cable?
Any help would be really appreciated. 
This is the bike's stock connector with only 2 pins. Both the new indicators and the harness used have 3 wires.
image.thumb.png.5e9f22aa4ac2f9c9c36eeafad332256f.png

My 2016 only had running lights / 3 wire signals up front. The rear signals were only two wire signals with no running lights. If that is a picture of your rear signal wiring then you're bike is probably the same as there's no easy plug and play way to turn them in to three wire setups. 

You could jump the rears off the front harness in order to have three wires front and back ( and maybe that's what the harness you ordered was designed for?), as the LED indicators are so low wattage that it wouldn't overload the original wiring. 

• Like 2

The brake light has a running  light, so you could tap into that 12V wire, and splice it to your harness to get the running lights working in the rear.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shinyribs said:

My 2016 only had running lights / 3 wire signals up front. The rear signals were only two wire signals with no running lights. If that is a picture of your rear signal wiring then you're bike is probably the same as there's no easy plug and play way to turn them in to three wire setups. 

You could jump the rears off the front harness in order to have three wires front and back ( and maybe that's what the harness you ordered was designed for?), as the LED indicators are so low wattage that it wouldn't overload the original wiring. 

Hello and thanks for the reply. No this is my front signal connector. I started with the ones in front and didn't even bother with the rear ones until I found a way to make it work. 

So as I understand, I should connect the negative and the yellow signal wires to the original connector and the wire for the running lights to another wire that provides constant lighting. Would the wires of the two little running lights in the headlight work ? Or something else?

6 hours ago, Yakko Warner said:

The brake light has a running  light, so you could tap into that 12V wire, and splice it to your harness to get the running lights working in the rear.

This connector was from the front turn signals. If you have any suggestions for those too I would really appreciate it.

21 hours ago, TheoGr said:

Would the wires of the two little running lights in the headlight work ?

That was my first thought too.  Then I thought I might not want to run wires across the steering yoke.  There is also the Auxiliary DC connector:

In the rear, in addition to the brake light running light, there is also the license plate light that should run on 12V also.

I guess you are in Europe or Asia?  I think front running lights are not on MT-07's in all parts of the world.

On 12/23/2022 at 12:34 AM, TheoGr said:

Hello and thanks for the reply. No this is my front signal connector. I started with the ones in front and didn't even bother with the rear ones until I found a way to make it work. 

So as I understand, I should connect the negative and the yellow signal wires to the original connector and the wire for the running lights to another wire that provides constant lighting. Would the wires of the two little running lights in the headlight work ? Or something else?

The only way I've seen turn signals only have two wires, AND they have both signal and running light functions, is if they are grounded through their mount. 

Unless Yamaha is toggling/floating a ground through the switch somehow.