The MT-07 Forum

Bike seems fine….

Mt707

Bike runs great, feels great, looks great, but, 

Just did a oil change 2 days ago, didn’t notice anything.  It rained on my oil drain pan washed away the tiny puddle of oil that was left on top and this is what was left… I’m fairly mechanically inclined, but this is beyond what I’m comfortable dealing with on my own so i now need to find a good shop…Safe to say the new year is already shitting on me. Also pretty pissed since the bike is only a year and 2 weeks old…899CBC33-F882-44D8-94F4-60E6A65BFB52.thumb.jpeg.a424c4c47de96d25b2446923648121dd.jpeg

How many miles on the engine, and how many oil changes has it had before this one?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mt707 said:

Just did a oil change 2 days ago, didn’t notice anything.  It rained on my oil drain pan washed away the tiny puddle of oil that was left on top and this is what was left… 

Do you still have the oil that you drained out - or did it go to the recycler already?

Your circumstance is kind of unusual, in that the drain pan was exposed for 2 days, rain, and the drain pan may have residue from previous oil changes on other vehicles. When I zoom in on your photo I think I see silver - you would know more what the concern is. It is kind of hard from the photo.

I would have the oil analyzed if you still have it, and consider having the oil filter taken apart as well if you are freaked out about it - I think that is what I would do for peace of mind. If you ran with low oil level or other reason, then it points to a problem. If you never ran low on oil, and know the bike's history, it is likely OK.

• Like 1

Do you have a lathe, mill or any kind of metal cutting saw? That looks like swarf from a machine tool or circ saw, not engine "shavings". 

I say that because of the way that one piece is curled. That's what metal cuttings/ swarf off a lathe looks. If something in an engine was cutting off curlings like that it would take pretty enormous pressure which would not only be very noisy, but the "shavings" are almost always blue/purple colored in those instances. Perhaps a few metal chips hitched a ride on your pants leg on the way out the shop. 

That said, low mileage bikes can sometimes produce an alarming amount of trash when the gearbox is wearing in. Couldn't hurt to run a magnetic drain plug if the factory one isn't. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 3