The MT-07 Forum

6'3"and 215lbs stripped. Too large for MT-07?

jdc606

I'm closing in on 69 yrs of age. No aches, pains, or flexibility issues. Been riding motorbikes for over 50 years and am missing it after dropping my motorcycle license and selling all my gear over 8 years ago. Wondering if an MT-07 will work for me with little to no mods. Thinking of mostly shorter rides with 300 miles max. Been through it all (mods) with an '06 FZ1 but no longer have the desire or facility to repeat the past suspension and performance mods.None of my online parts vendor bookmarks even connect anymore. I live in southern Minnesota and will keep watch on the classifieds for an already done bike nearby to test. I'm sure I'll look like a monkey humping a football but don't care as long as I'm enjoying the ride.

• Like 1

I'm 6'2", and my 2020 fits me very comfortably.  From 2018 on (MT models), the suspension was stiffened up noticeably, so I doubt if you'll have any trouble with the 215 lbs.  The rear shock has preload adjustment, so you can adjust static sag if needed.

I prefer buying a stock one.  I don't trust a stranger to make mods properly, and I would rather ride the bike for a while and decide for myself what needs to be changed.  In the two years I've had mine, my big mod was going to bar-end mirrors.  I like the quiet stock exhaust system, and I really like the stock gas mileage, which is always over 60 mpg for me.  If I wanted more power I would have gotten an MT-09, which weights only a few pounds more, but I have another motorcycle to ride if I want an adrenaline rush.

Welcome to the board, jdc606!

• Like 2

I'm a shade over 69, around 200 lb, but much shorter at 5'6", but I can tell you if either the MT-07 or the XSR700, which I have, should be really entertaining for you if you like the fit of either bike.   I did the XSR because I liked the look better and I have crappy knees at this point, so squeezing into a sportier crouch just doesn't work well.  I also have short reach, so the higher XSR bars with a set of around 50mm risers with the angled back mounts set the bars about right for a shorter person, but I'm betting the stock setup or lower rise bars would make the bike good for someone your height. 

The engine may not have the high horsepower of some of the Euro mid size, but the power is right in the range for road use and with a bit of aggressive throttle it will easily launch across an intersection with the front wheel floating a bit.  I don't do lurid wheelies, but one XSR review from Superbikes in the UK had a video of the guy just doing wheelies, he was having so much fun that he didn't bother doing much else, telling viewers to read the written review for the way the bike worked.   

Hope that gives a bit of food for thought.

• Like 2

Thanks for the quick responses. Both very helpful especially the info about 2018 and on having stiffer suspension. The couple vids I've watched show the rider easily cruising at 80mph which is enough passing power for me. I think I'd prefer a quite exhausts these days. A 650 should be easier on tires, too. I am hoping to control myself and enjoy a mostly stock MT-07. Used to be I enjoyed modding my motorbike equally as much as riding it. 

2 hours ago, jdc606 said:

A 650 should be easier on tires, too.

My MT is definitely easy on tires.   By now my old Moto Guzzi would have needed new ones, but I can barely tell these have any wear on them.  The MT-07 is a 689 though.   :)

Just a tad over 6' here and 195 lbs. (and just received my Medicare card!)   Love the fit and performance of my MT07.  I'd say go for it @jdc606.  I'm predicting that you'll be quite happy with an FZ/MT07.  

And, just a side note, I find it interesting that there's a number of "senior" riders on this forum with tons of riding experience who ended up gravitating towards the FZ/MT07; despite having the means to ride most any bike currently available.  The attraction of the 07 is hard to quantify exactly; but if you've ridden a lot of streetbikes in the early days (i.e. 1970's) you can really appreciate the 07 for what it is.  And, I contend that there's a little RD350/400 buried somewhere in the 07's DNA.  Just my opinion...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 19MTMike said:

The attraction of the 07 is hard to quantify exactly...

For me, it's the light weight, ample power, very pleasant handling, and comfortable riding position.  The quietness and high MPG are bonuses.

• Like 1

Riders Share may have some you can test ride. I'm in California, there are a bunch of them listed for rent all over the state. Also Twisted Road is another option. These are like Air BnB for motorcycles. I have done several rentals to experience other bikes - and will ask if I can leave my motorcycle in their garage while I take theirs out for a few days.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

@jdc606- Welcome to the forum!! I'm from MN too.... I've never been more happy with a bike in my 40+ years of riding.  I know you don't want to mod it, but with your height (which equates to arm length), I would suggest some different handlebars. The OEM bars have kind of an odd sweep to them (to me). I put some Renthal "ultra lows" on mine. They are only slightly lower, a little wider, and a "flatter" sweep. A lot of 07 riders put the ultra-lows on, and like them. 

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

45 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

@jdc606- Welcome to the forum!! I'm from MN too....  I would suggest some different handlebars. 

So cool, another "ya ,you betcha" resident. I'm in Spamtown Austin and yes, modding for ride comfort would be a must. Don't want to mess up my spine at this stage in the aging process. Read an older thread where a Mn rider says he always gets his best deals in Cambridge. That's not too far. I have siblings that own a trailer on Winnie and love to fish. I'm thinking an MT would get me up there just fine for an overnight visit. I'm burned out on fishing but enjoy the bros.

• Premium Member

That post you referred to was mine ..... I've been buying Bikes from "Larsons Cycle" in Cambridge, MN since the late 80's. It's a Family owned dealership. Ask for Mike Larson, or Jessica Larson. They won't steer you wrong. There is no negotiating- they are the lowest price (and they know it). Always upfront pricing. I've come full-circle, and turned my FZ-07 into a "naked" race bike. I'm 54 years old, and still chasing my smile. I still street ride on a 2019 R3.... Good luck on whatever makes you smile-

Woodcraft 07.JPG

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

On 1/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, Triple Jim said:

I'm 6'2", and my 2020 fits me very comfortably....Welcome to the board, jdc606!

Hello again Jim,

I got a little sidetracked in a good way PM'ing with a guy from Mn. Kinda decided for now to buy a new (2022) MZ-07 after getting my learner permit come Spring. Have been caught up for hours reading threads like "Top 10 best front suspension mods", becoming fearful I can't live with OEM. You seem to do alright with a stock MZ and your shared motorbike experiences suggest to me you know "well enough" from "unbearable". I've been recommended a Yamaha dealer halfway between my town and our mobile home "up north" at the lake. Thinking I could close a deal over the phone and have the wife drop me off on the way. I will, hopefully, tested rides locally to see if an MZ-07 is even a possibility for me.

To be honest with myself, it's doubtful I'll put over 2.5k a year on a new machine so If I find things aren't as I'd hoped for in a couple seasons...low miles, box stock should sell OK. Thinking 1st investment would be a top case to carry rain gear and helmet storage. I'm already figuring a $grand for helmet, jacket, gloves, top case. Would you happen to know of a site where a fella can shop used gear? Think I donated my stuff along with any motorbike sale. My tire irons, wheel balancer, gloves, jacket, helmet....all gone to who knows where? Sickens me to see the current cost of replacements. The Penske shock that made me gulp at around $795 is now over $1300!

I do really enjoy my bicycle rides, weather permitting. Best part of the route is a down hill S where I will hit 23mph. Was looking into gas motors for bicycles that folks push to 35mph and beyond. 23mph is scary enough and bicycle wheel bearings aren't designed for those high speeds.

Sorry to be so long winded but it's -7° outside and I've nowhere to be.

Sounds good, John.  My only complaint about the MT's suspension is that compression is a bit harsh on big bumps like potholes.  When it's time to replace the rear shock I'll probably go with something better in that department.  Similarly, when I need to do anything to the fork internals I'll go with something decent.  Overall, my MT-07 in bone stock form is the most comfortable motorcycle I've owned, and I have no trouble doing a couple hundred miles a day on it.

motorcyclegear.com has a "customer's closet" section with used gear.  I got a great deal on a nice leather jacket for my daughter there.

23 scary on a bicycle?  Heck, I often hit 40 on some of the downhills around here.  The bearings don't see high RPM even at that speed.