The MT-07 Forum

R6 to fz to r6

Mikethamartian

Mikethamartian

Switched from an r6 to the fz and going back to r6 this year for racing. Has anyone else switched to and from bikes like they are bad with commitment? 

Also, is it 25 threads or comments before I can start listing things to sell to you guys??

• Global Moderator

@Mikethamartian, you need 25 posts before you can use the classified section.  Any comments on any thread count.  Join the conversations and you will get there quickly. Welcome to the forum. 

• Like 1

Mikethamartian

Oh I've been silently reading everything for 3 years now. Looking at advice and recommendations. I just haven't spoken up. I appreciate everybody and all the info I've learned here

Edited by Mikethamartian
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Mikethamartian said:

Switched from an r6 to the fz and going back to r6 this year for racing. Has anyone else switched to and from bikes like they are bad with commitment? 

Also, is it 25 threads or comments before I can start listing things to sell to you guys??

I did the opposite of what you did... I started doing track days on a Supermoto (CRF450R). Everyone and their brother told me to get an R6 for doing "bigger" tracks. I bought an R6. I really tried to like it, but I never felt confident on it. I didn't like that you had to be north of 10,000 RPM to make any power. I bought my FZ-07, and never been happier!!! I got my race license last summer, and LOVE racing my 07. Being that you have owned an R6 before, you know what you're getting. Most people still don't understand why I don't like the R6. I just don't....  I've tacked several bikes: CRF450R (SM), Husky SMR450 (SM), R6, KTM RC390, R3, and currently my FZ-07. I'm 53 years old, and the only way I'm going to part ways with my FZ, is if I "wad it up" REAL bad- 

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

M. Hausknecht

Where and with whom are you going to race? I'm just trying to help you with your posts, and perhaps our paths will cross.😎

Edited by M. Hausknecht
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mikethamartian

I've raced east coast with WERA mainly the last 5 years. I try to do most of their endurance races (usually with a friend on his SV650).  The last 2 years I tried my hand at a few MotoAmerica rounds but was really just trying to qualify as a grid filler in twins cup. This year I was going to focus more on the south eastern WERA rounds to focus on getting faster and maybe trying my hand at Supersport. 

Thanks for the help! I hope to try out more new tracks soon but going west is tough to do. 

• Like 2

M. Hausknecht
14 hours ago, Mikethamartian said:

I've raced east coast with WERA mainly the last 5 years. I try to do most of their endurance races (usually with a friend on his SV650).  The last 2 years I tried my hand at a few MotoAmerica rounds but was really just trying to qualify as a grid filler in twins cup. This year I was going to focus more on the south eastern WERA rounds to focus on getting faster and maybe trying my hand at Supersport. 

Thanks for the help! I hope to try out more new tracks soon but going west is tough to do. 

Well, I'll probably see you then (perhaps we've met?). I rode my 07 superbike at CMP last year the Sunday after the WERA/N2 4 hour, and my Kramer Evo2R after the Roebling and Pitt endurance races, and then Summit Point in September. I'm headed to Roebling for the ARHMA event in two weeks, and then I have to choose between the ARMHA event at CMP and the WERA event at Roebling in March. Good luck!

Mikethamartian
2 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Well, I'll probably see you then (perhaps we've met?). I rode my 07 superbike at CMP last year the Sunday after the WERA/N2 4 hour, and my Kramer Evo2R after the Roebling and Pitt endurance races, and then Summit Point in September. I'm headed to Roebling for the ARHMA event in two weeks, and then I have to choose between the ARMHA event at CMP and the WERA event at Roebling in March. Good luck!

We probably passed each other on the way in/out, I think both of those races I just participated in the endurance and went home. Hopefully I'll see you out there this year!

I'm about to flip flop, I think, as well...

Like many in my "peer group," I started on a 600.  I wish I had started on a 250.  In 2020, after a three-year hiatus from serious injury, and other life fluff, I came back and tried the LW twins class on an FZ.  I've been in it since and love it.

I'm about to start my second MotoAmerica Twins Cup season, and I do a lot of LW twins class club racing (just had some good finishes at Homestead with CCS and Chuckwalla with CVMA).  But unfortunately, MotoAmerica cut Twins Cup rounds for 2023 (down to seven from ten I think?), as I think they are trying to incentivize people to "move up" to the premier classes -- Supersport and Superbike.  Twins Cup was meant as an entry-level, or transition, class, but it became the most participated, and arguably, one of the most competitive classes last year; with lap records being broken each round and lap times often near Supersport's, at certain tracks

That said, I think I'm going to give a shot at a few Supersport rounds this year -- COTA and Brainerd; the ones that don't have Twins rounds.  I haven't ridden a 600 since I ran one in to a wall at Hallet in 2017, so we'll see how it goes.  I'm honestly kind of apprehensive about the additional speed, as I find a LW twin the "sweet spot."  I just joined a team (3D Racing), and we have a deal with Suzuki, so I'll likely be on a tuned-down GXSR 750.  I'll likely test at a few club rounds and see if I can even hang.

Edited by jb.junior
  • Like 2