The MT-07 Forum

center stand

jdc606

image.png.c7ff2f8e2a925944a5a8a4017df018d2.pngAnyone tried one of these inexpensive centerstand offerings from ebay? The center roller appears to align with the chain, making me think them very narrow and unstable.   

I just checked eBay for "MT-07 Center Stand" and didn't see that one.  What's the roller for?  How does it attach to the bike?  I saw some SW-MOTECH stands that looked like they'd be pretty ugly because they didn't retract up under the bike like I'm used to.  They also looked like they'd limit cornering clearance.

Welcome to the board, jdc606!

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I just checked eBay for "MT-07 Center Stand" and didn't see that one. 

Hello Jim,

I used "Yamaha Fz-07 center stand" as my search criteria and posted to this forum as I have no knowledge concerning these center stands other than they are less expensive than the SW-Motech  stands. I have found the SW-Motech style stand from a Chinese vendor priced about half of what SW-Motech is asking. One person's answer to remedy limited ground clearance and exhaust system interference is to leave only the attachment mounts on the bike until the stand part is needed.

I am thinking I can save a considerable amount of cash buying a used Fz-07 but would want to replace the incorrect lower fork leg bushings. If I'm going to take the forks down for the lower bushings, I'm going to probably install a Traxxion AR-25  kit at the time. I'm 215lbs naked but don't ride naked so fork re-spring/damping is the minimal mod I can live with and a center stand would be most useful.

• Like 1

FWIW, you could also build a stand like on the link below instead of a centerstand.

I made one here and so far, I used it on 3 or 4 of my bikes and it works great!! Costed about $120 CDN.

I could send pictures if you like but is will look exactly like on the link. My FZ07 is currently being held on this pipe stand.

https://www.fjr1300.info/howto/frontstand.html

Edited by Claude

30 minutes ago, Claude said:

FWIW, you could also build a stand like on the link below instead of a centerstand

Hello Claude, 

Thank you for the idea. The pictures provided are very good. I do not have a garage so storage space is an important consideration.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:11 PM, Triple Jim said:

I just checked eBay for "MT-07 Center Stand" and didn't see that one.  What's the roller for?  How does it attach to the bike?  I saw some SW-MOTECH stands that looked like they'd be pretty ugly because they didn't retract up under the bike like I'm used to.  They also looked like they'd limit cornering clearance.

Welcome to the board, jdc606!

Possibly the roller contacts the swing arm or linkage and needs to be able to move slightly without wearing anything, thus the roller.  But really this is just a guess, otherwise I have no clue.

That center stand looks like it was made for a scooter, not a motorcycle.  Could just be a bad pic though.  For what it's worth. I have the SW Motech stand installed and love it.  Using it daily for years.  No clearance issues when at lean.  You can see a few pics in this thread below.  Click the pictures to zoom in for a better view.  If there's a Chinese knock-off that appears to be identical, then perhaps I'd give it a go if the price is right.  I don't regret getting the SW-Motech at all.

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I don't regret getting the SW-Motech at all.

Thank you for your shared experience . I can't imagine a motorcycle without a centerstand. The Chinese knock-off is $119 shipped from China via AliExpress shopping sight. Looks to be same as SW-Motech but half the price. Several of the Chinese stands are listed for less than $80. The gotcha? Shipping is nearly $90. Old truisms like "you get what you pay for" come to mind.

Edited by jdc606
typo
  • Like 1

I also have the SW-Motech. I have to, because it has a type approval here and thats what makes it expensive  I think.
With my driving style, I had no problems with ground clearance, even while taking a professional cornering training on a narrow go kart track. But I'm more of a tourer than a racer, so it's not a reference.

Pics are from 2018, took them after the installation, just bought the bike from it's previous owner.  The huge bolts for the footpegs were included, they removed themself the next few days :D

img_20180409_154600ftegl.jpg img_20180409_1542341qfod.jpg img_20180409_154243ktfcy.jpg img_20180409_154301rfetk.jpg img_20180409_154402rwi60.jpg img_20180409_1545422rfmf.jpg

img_20180407_180342m4d58.jpg

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

The huge bolts for the footpegs were included, they removed themself the next few days :D

I noticed those in a couple earlier photos and wondered it they were so long because of the reduced cornering clearance.  I don't know of another reason they'd include them with the stand.

Yeah, I don't know. The national type approval test report says:
1194384955_Clipboard1.thumb.jpg.2485c11c143a82efaf5e6ea306ba881e.jpg

"Lean angle clearance is not negatively affected compared to the series (original bike)"

But further down in the report in a chart of affected model types theres a remark that the long bolts are mandatory for MT/FZ-07 and Tracer 700.
I don't know, I can easily follow an instructor on a track in a mediocre group with this centerstand and ride a Metzeler Roadtec 01 close to the edge,  but I think this depends on a lot of factors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

I also have the SW-Motech.

Thank you for the photos and shared experience with the SW-Motech center stand. You are the 2nd rider reporting no clearance issues while cornering with the center stand installed. I really only want a center stand for maintenance reasons and as the OEM side stand is retained, a rider could remove the stand while keeping the mounting brackets installed until the center stand portion is needed, like for front fork removal, chain maintenance. Would be easier for me to store a center stand than a couple paddock stands.

firstyammerha

Yamaha should weld tabs to the frame ala Honda CB500 for those wanting to add a center stand. Could sell a factory stand as an accessory and make more $$$$. It took about ten minutes for me to add the factory stand to my 2014 CB500F versus 45 minutes of bolt removal/replacement and parts shuffling with the SW-Motech stand. Still the SW-Motech stand is worth the time and money.