The MT-07 Forum

taking the FZ07 to the track - what do I need ?

TMTYWSH

So this bike already has some goodies (woodcraft clip ons/woodcraft rear sets/15w front fork fluid/frame sliders), but I want to have a good time on the track...what else do I need?

2 things come to mind: changing the rear shock and stainless steel brake lines...anything else that is a must?

I'll be in the novice group

Frame protectors might be a good idea; kind of a hope-for-the-best/plan-for-the-worst situation…

Edited by Subito

M. Hausknecht

I've replaced many of the stock parts on my race-only 07 but you don't 'need" anything to ride on track other than tires that aren't worn excessively. Since you'll likely be using lean angles you've not experienced, replace your tires if they've got any edges created on the tire profile, primarily on the rear tire, from riding straight up. If the tire profiles are still round, you'll be good with the tires you have.

You'll soon discover the limitations of the rear shock and the forks once your pace picks up but you can wait and see whether you want to start dumping money into making your 07 more suitable for track use. Same thing with brake lines; ok as is. If you're still using the stock front brake pads, consider going to a set of HH pads. Their friction coefficient is higher, feel is better, and they're very good on the street. But still, not necessary when you're first starting out because you won't be using the brakes all that hard. A reasonably accurate tire gauge is important and, if you take care of it, it'll last many years.  The sliders and rear sets will do a decent job of keeping the more expensive bits off the track if you go down. Fresh oil and a new filter if they haven't been changed recently. Chain adjusted properly

Of course, a properly fitting helmet, and good leather gloves and boots, and a one or two piece leather suit, are essential. Track days can be long and hot, so water, some electrolytes (Gatorade is shet but mixed 50/50 with water  better than soda or only water), and food you'll eat over the course of the day to keep your energy up.

Have fun! 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I've replaced many of the stock parts on my race-only 07 but you don't 'need" anything to ride on track other than tires that aren't worn excessively. Since you'll likely be using lean angles you've not experienced, replace your tires if they've got any edges created on the tire profile, primarily on the rear tire, from riding straight up. If the tire profiles are still round, you'll be good with the tires you have.

You'll soon discover the limitations of the rear shock and the forks once your pace picks up but you can wait and see whether you want to start dumping money into making your 07 more suitable for track use. Same thing with brake lines; ok as is. If you're still using the stock front brake pads, consider going to a set of HH pads. Their friction coefficient is higher, feel is better, and they're very good on the street. But still, not necessary when you're first starting out because you won't be using the brakes all that hard. A reasonably accurate tire gauge is important and, if you take care of it, it'll last many years.  The sliders and rear sets will do a decent job of keeping the more expensive bits off the track if you go down. Fresh oil and a new filter if they haven't been changed recently. Chain adjusted properly

Of course, a properly fitting helmet, and good leather gloves and boots, and a one or two piece leather suit, are essential. Track days can be long and hot, so water, some electrolytes (Gatorade is shet but mixed 50/50 with water  better than soda or only water), and food you'll eat over the course of the day to keep your energy up.

Have fun! 

I second what M. Hausknecht said.

I ran my first season with nothing more than a set of Dunlop Q3 tires. Season two I added SS brake lines, Woodcraft clip ons and rear sets. It wasn't until season three, after I completed the Yamaha Champ School, that my pace picked up enough to really notice the short comings of the stock suspension. 

Bring tools, a lawn chair and pop up canopy if you have one. A towel and extra clothes too. 

Spend your money on good safety equipment and as many track days as you can afford and fit in. You'll benefit most from track time. Also good food, snacks, water and Gatorade. 

What track are you going to?

Good luck and have fun... this is VERY ADDICTING !

Ed

• Like 3

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

12 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I second what M. Hausknecht said.

I ran my first season with nothing more than a set of Dunlop Q3 tires. Season two I added SS brake lines, Woodcraft clip ons and rear sets. It wasn't until season three, after I completed the Yamaha Champ School, that my pace picked up enough to really notice the short comings of the stock suspension. 

Bring tools, a lawn chair and pop up canopy if you have one. A towel and extra clothes too. 

Spend your money on good safety equipment and as many track days as you can afford and fit in. You'll benefit most from track time. Also good food, snacks, water and Gatorade. 

What track are you going to?

Good luck and have fun... this is VERY ADDICTING !

Ed

summit point in WV

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht
9 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

summit point in WV

Excellent! I've ridden many 100s of laps on Summit Main. Did my racing school there in '92. More recently, raced there last September. Good mix of slow and fast turns, a long straight ending with heavy braking, and good, grippy surface. Carrying speed through T4, a downhill right hander, will test your cajones. You're gonna love i!

• Like 1

Besides what has already been mentioned, bring a cooler. Just make sure you pre-chill it beforehand, especially if it's supposed to be hot. Pre-chill just means fill it with ice the day before, so that way when you put ice in on the way to the track, you're not immediately dumping ice into a room-temp (or higher) cooler. It'll make the fresh ice last much longer. 

Also, something I noticed last time at the track which is actually rather clever...a battery-powered clock. Leave the clock under your canopy on your fold-out table. You'll never have to worry about where your phone is...easy way to check what time it is and if your group is about to be up next. I'm doing this next time, lol. 

I did my first track day last year, and my MT was 100% stock. You don't need to overthink it when it comes to "is my bike ready?"...there was a gal there in her 50's with a large touring bike (also her first track day). If she can do it, surely you can with a MT-07. 

• Like 1