The MT-07 Forum

the R7 killer

00RAH

I assume we are referring to:

Kawi ZX4RR  $9699 + $300 Freight + $435 Destination
399 cc - 414.5 lbs wet - Inline 4
Kawi site does not provide HP\Torque etc
Another site listed HP as N/A (Which I disagree, it is applicable) but does have Torque 26.5 lb-ft @ 11,000 rpm
Another site listed HP for US model to be around ~56.3 hp due to noise and rev limitations unlike the EU model which has a limit over 15k. Which then is like why buy the ZX4 when for 1k more you can get the ZX6

YZF-R7 2023 $9199 (2022 $8999) + $300 Freight + $450 Destination
689 cc - 414 lbs wet - CP2
Yamaha site does not provide HP\Torque etc
Another site claims 72.4 hp @ 9,000 rpm 57 lb-ft @ ???? rpm

Kawi as a R7 killer, I would say no. BUT would I say it would be fun to rip around with that high RPM engine.

Then, why would you pay 500 more for lower cc bike unless you are going to mod it. But then again if you are going to mod it. Why not pay 500 less get the R7 then spend the $$ you were going to mod the Kawi and add the 500 extra on top you have paid for the Kawi

Kawi does comes with a few more features, like quick shift where R7 is optional, and rider modes. 
I perceive a closer debate would be between the R7 and ZX6

• Like 2

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I hate Kawasaki- always have- always will..... I've never owned one in my 40+ years of riding. They never appealed to me even as a kid. My uncle owned a Kawasaki dealership, and always offered me GREAT buying opportunities, yet I never took him up on it? Now, as an adult- I still hold a bias against Kawasaki. I'm a big fan/supporter of MotoAmerica racing. The featherweight class used to be a good mix of bikes around 300cc's or so. It was great racing, and most the manufactures were well represented. Now, what used to be called the "Junior Cup", could easily be called the "Kawasaki Cup", as no other manufactures are racing in that class anymore. Maybe my frustration is mis-guided @ Kawasaki, rather than MotoAmerica... Either way, I don't like what Kawasaki is doing to the racing world. I race a FZ-07, and enjoy the fun "rivalries" with the SV650 folks. That being said, I sincerely hope this  high-reving/in-line 4, isn't allowed to race in the same class as the twins. That being said- my club racing organization (CRA), added a new class to the mix last year called the "welter-weight" class. Basically, it was because we are geographically located very close to the US importing site for "Kramer", for those that may not know the name. They are a hand-built/high end race bike that utilizes the single-cylinder KTM 690 motor. These things are AMAZINGLY lightweight, and make huge HP-to-weight-ratios... The R7/FZ/MT-07, and the SV650 can't even come close the what the Kramer can do. It's like taking a knife to a gun-fight, it doesn't end well.... I sincerely hope this ZX4RR  falls on its face in the the racing world....

• Like 3

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

M. Hausknecht

I run similar lap times with my 690 Kramer and my 07 racebike. But admittedly, the 07 is far from stock and has nearly 92 rwhp. I raced it against a friend on a 690 Kramer last year at Carolina Motorsport Park and beat him by a whisker. I had a top speed advantage of 3-4 mph on CMP's two longer straights (not very long) that he couldn't overcome. Next weekend I'll race my Kramer at CMP with AHRMA (and 4 other 690 Kramers already entered). I'll be interested to see how my lap times and GPS data compare to what I did on the 07. 

As for the new Kawi, we'll see. I've read the plan is to import only one per dealership, so there may not be many to be had. Still, I think most will end up as race bikes. I'm skeptical about the high horsepower figures being cited but technology has advanced significantly since I built my highly-stressed 75+rwhp FZR400 in the mid-90s. If 100rwhp can be coaxed out of the motor that will give it similar power to the better MA Twins Cup bikes and at a similar weight. The frames look very wimpy though, like the R7/FZ/MT07, so they may face similar challenges getting around with sticky tires and skilled riders.

• Like 1

Some of us form fixed bike opinions early in life which never change. In ancient times at the age of 16, I had an Ariel 350 and my friend had a Triumph. He did not want mine, and I did not want his.  When it came to returning to biking 50 years later, Triumph did not figure in my bike choice.  Strange, illogical really.

• Like 2

Just do it! 

On 3/9/2023 at 10:32 AM, robbo10 said:

Some of us form fixed bike opinions early in life which never change. In ancient times at the age of 16, I had an Ariel 350 and my friend had a Triumph. He did not want mine, and I did not want his.  When it came to returning to biking 50 years later, Triumph did not figure in my bike choice.  Strange, illogical really.

I hear you! 
Growing up had been exposed to Honda, Suzuki, Kawi, Yamaha, Indian, etc
Lived near (enough) to Harley plant
BUT, my first motorcycle I BOUGHT was a Yamaha young young man (400 xs)
Or as a young adult I rode Yamaha Raiden (inline 4)- Now didn't this become the FZR?

But it wasn't the first bike I learned on (Honda RM80 -Late 60s early 70s) which also isn't the bike I rode mostly as a child (Suzuki 185 TS, early 70s).

Now the part that I am also not understanding (like you said, illogical), I look at these other brands and bikes ...
Meh comes to mind most of the time. Don't get me wrong. I will say like ohhh inline 4 or hey that has a triple. Maybe think the fairing really gives it some lines. BUT Rarely does a Honda make me want to buy one. Or Suzuki. 
But am eyeing a 1997 Yamaha YZF-600R Thundercat (Track Days).

• Like 2

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

On 3/8/2023 at 3:55 AM, 00RAH said:

kawi 400 inline 4

will it blend?

R7 killer? I'd be more worried about the new Hornet. 100cc per cylinder will never make any grunt down low. 

• Like 2