The MT-07 Forum

Pulled the trigger

Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

Hello y’all!

I’m in my mid-30s and finally got around to getting my M1 license. Took and passed the safety course and recently picked up a red 2017 FZ-07 for my first bike. Changed the oil/filter and coolant this past weekend and rode her 40+ miles on Easter. Thoroughly enjoying it so far and getting more comfortable on the road with every passing mile. 

Here’s Lexie

6B12F18F-2EE3-4EEE-A1AE-740415AEA7C9.jpeg

• Like 8

WOOT!!

Super Super cool

Welcome

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

• Global Moderator

You will get lots of help from all your new friends on the forum. If I can suggest, turn some attention to riding gear and safety equip, and make friends with the best rider you know, and learn from them. Practice - and don't ride outside of what you've practiced. Never let other riders pull you up to speeds above what you practice.

Enjoy! And about Lexie, she's pregnant with lots of parts and accessories she already wants. Choose how to spend $$ carefully. Suspension good place to start

• Like 1

Cookie Monster
6 hours ago, balkor2 said:

WOOT!!

Super Super cool

Welcome

5 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Welcome to the board, Cookie Monster!  Enjoy the FZ!

TY!

4 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

You will get lots of help from all your new friends on the forum. If I can suggest, turn some attention to riding gear and safety equip, and make friends with the best rider you know, and learn from them. Practice - and don't ride outside of what you've practiced. Never let other riders pull you up to speeds above what you practice.

Enjoy! And about Lexie, she's pregnant with lots of parts and accessories she already wants. Choose how to spend $$ carefully. Suspension good place to start

I’ve already got the basics (helmet, gloves, armored jacket and pants) and want to eventually get one of those airbag vests. Definitely gonna practice with a good buddy of mine soon who’s been riding for almost two decades. There’s a city college close by with large lots I can use. 

As for Lexie being pregnant… she has new spark plugs, a tail-tidy, LED brake light & turn signals, and a windscreen on the way. I haven’t looked much into the suspension, is that a worthwhile upgrade?

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

@Cookie Monster, I was amazed how much difference a new shock made to the handling, especially on the first gen bikes (mine is a 2015).  I waited two years before I upgraded mine and wish I had done it sooner.  The stock shock is tolerable, but it definitely one of the few weak points in the bike.  You do not want to know how much I have spent on upgrades and accessories, but most of them are not really necessary.  The bike is my fun toy so I tend to spend more on it than I need to ;) .

It looks like you are doing things well with the gear and practice with the help of an expert.  Welcome to the club!

• Like 1

Cookie Monster
2 hours ago, mjh937 said:

@Cookie Monster, I was amazed how much difference a new shock made to the handling, especially on the first gen bikes (mine is a 2015).  I waited two years before I upgraded mine and wish I had done it sooner.  The stock shock is tolerable, but it definitely one of the few weak points in the bike.  You do not want to know how much I have spent on upgrades and accessories, but most of them are not really necessary.  The bike is my fun toy so I tend to spend more on it than I need to ;) .

It looks like you are doing things well with the gear and practice with the help of an expert.  Welcome to the club!

Thank you for the welcome and info.  I'll definitely look into suspension down the road.  I know all about toys and the money sink they can be.  I have a Honda S2000 with more money into it than I paid for the car 🙃.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I’ve already got the basics (helmet, gloves, armored jacket and pants) and want to eventually get one of those airbag vests.

From experience, you will lay the back over or drop it. It happens to everyone.

So Don't forget a good pair of shoes!
They will need to protect feet from being crushed,  and they will need to protect your ankles.

Been on bikes for 40+ years, I still practice in parking lots doing figure eights, stop starting. Evasive maneuvers, hard turns.
For me it is fun and safe because of the lack of other motor vehicles  in distractions and safety for them as much as for you. Highly recommend keeping up on it. and developing a routine(s) for your practices. For me on my way home from work, I like to stop in an empty parking lot with multiple islands. And for about 15 minutes weaving between them, tight circles, and slow turns which are extremely hard. Teaches counter steering and counter balancing.
it is extremely important to develop  proper/good habits 

Edited by balkor2
  • Like 3

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

• Premium Member

Welcome to the Forum.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Cookie Monster
8 hours ago, balkor2 said:

From experience, you will lay the back over or drop it. It happens to everyone.

So Don't forget a good pair of shoes!
They will need to protect feet from being crushed,  and they will need to protect your ankles.

Been on bikes for 40+ years, I still practice in parking lots doing figure eights, stop starting. Evasive maneuvers, hard turns.
For me it is fun and safe because of the lack of other motor vehicles  in distractions and safety for them as much as for you. Highly recommend keeping up on it. and developing a routine(s) for your practices. For me on my way home from work, I like to stop in an empty parking lot with multiple islands. And for about 15 minutes weaving between them, tight circles, and slow turns which are extremely hard. Teaches counter steering and counter balancing.
it is extremely important to develop  proper/good habits 

I actually have been looking at getting a pair of shoes/boots soon.  I currently ride with some decent leather boots but I don't want to ruin them. 

Will definitely incorporate lots of practice in parking lots, I want to make it a habit to practice like you and hopefully be able to claim to have been on bikes for as long as you.  Thank you.

6 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Welcome to the Forum.

Ed

Thanks, Ed!

Here ya go.... It's worked well for me!

2WDW Flash

MWR air filter

R6 throttle tube

Bitubo XZE11 shock

Sonic Fork Springs/heavier oil

Michelin PR4 tires

EBC HH front brake pads

Spiegler SS front brake lines

EBC HH rear brake pads

Vortex 520 sprockets 16/44

DID ERV3 chain

Evotech radiator guard

Shogun frame sliders

OES axle sliders

Gilles Chain Adjuster

Gilles titanium locking axle nut

Mirror extenders

Blindspot mirrors

Osram Night Racer light bulb

Denali Soundbomb Mini Horn

Mad Hornets levers

Dart Manta windscreen

Barkbuster Storm hand guards

• Like 1

Congrats on the new toy! I can't think of a better bike to have fun with whilebgetting used to the street. These things are just so easy to ride. 

I'll second the comments about a good shock and good boots. 

I've dropped bikes twice due to shoe laces getting tangled in foot controls and being unable to simply put my foot down. RST makes fantastic proper riding boots that are 100% waterproof, properly protective and cost less than the work boots I wear everyday. I've crashed a ton of dirt bikes and I've lowsided several street bikes when out playing too hard. Just a hazard of the game.  90% of the damage on my gear is on my feet, knees and hands, so that's where I don't penny pinch on gear. 

Enjoy, be safe and have fun! ✌️

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Congrats on the new toy! I can't think of a better bike to have fun with whilebgetting used to the street. These things are just so easy to ride. 

I've dropped bikes twice due to shoe laces getting tangled in foot controls and getting unable to simply put my foot down. RST makes fantastic proper riding boots that are 100% waterproof, properly protective and only cost less than the work boots I wear everyday. I've crashed a ton of dirt bikes and I've lowsided several street bikes when out playing too hard. Just a hazard of the game.  90% of the damage on my gear is on my feet, knees and hands, so that's where I don't penny pinch on gear. 

Serious Good Advice!!

Thanks for sharing

Cookie Monster
3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I've dropped bikes twice due to shoe laces getting tangled in foot controls and getting unable to simply put my foot down. RST makes fantastic proper riding boots that are 100% waterproof, properly protective and only cost less than the work boots I wear everyday. I've crashed a ton of dirt bikes and I've lowsided several street bikes when out playing too hard. Just a hazard of the game.  90% of the damage on my gear is on my feet, knees and hands, so that's where I don't penny pinch on gear. 

I feel like I chose the right bike more and more everyday.  Thank you for the kind words and the boot recommendation, I'll look into a pair ASAP. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I feel like I chose the right bike more and more everyday.

That's a good feeling.  I've been riding for 45 years, and I feel the same way about my MT-07.

I sold my FZ07 and got a FZ 09. I like the 09 but miss the 07, and I've never missed a bike that I sold. I've been shopping for crashed 07's to build. 

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
10 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

...got a FZ 09. I like the 09...

I thought, and still do that the xsr900 is better looking than my xsr700. It's got that motor, that raw meat look that you better respect or...

I'm 6-3, 220lbs. A taller seat and cars helped the 07 a lot, but I just physically fit on a 09 better.

07 handles WAY better, wheelies WAY easier, has no fussy electronics, the torque hits harder down low and it gets another 10mpg. It's really just a better bike. As long as you're not a tall guy with busted knees and ankles 😁

The current XSR 900's look great, but for the early Gens, your 700 is a much better looking bike imo. The cast 900 frames look off and the bottom tank edge curves away from the frame like it was supposed to even go on that bike. The 700's are tidy. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, shinyribs said:

A taller seat and cars helped the 07 a lot...

I've never though of cars as helpful.

Edited by Triple Jim

On 4/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, shinyribs said:

I'm 6-3, 220lbs.

6'2" fat lbs 
AKA Fat old taller man.
In progress of getting springs and upgrading front forks. In addition to my 97 project, and Fanny

Have not sat on an 09, So not sure how it would feel.

My general rule is I don't sit on bikes unless I am willing to buy it. Some Dealer's don't like that idea. Not sure why?

12 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I've never though of cars as helpful.

Cars suck! 

That supposed to be "bars". Typing is hard 😁

• Like 2

9 hours ago, balkor2 said:

Have not sat on an 09, So not sure how it would feel.

My general rule is I don't sit on bikes unless I am willing to buy it.

Nice and roomy! 

But also more top heavy and overall less nimble than an 07. And a 10mpg hit 😒

Cookie Monster
31 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

What did you go with? 

Found someone selling a pair of TCX Competizione S in my exact size on Offerup nearby for $40.  He barely used them for a couple of street rides, they're practically new!

• Like 2