The MT-07 Forum

Sequential led turn signals

Claude

Those LED sequential turn signals needs continuous 12V current so, on my 2017 FZ07, I bypassed the turn signal relay by jumping the two wires connected to it.

A friend of mine have a 2021 MT07 and wants to do the same modification. However, he don’t find the turn signal relay. The spot where it is mounted on my 2017 is empty on his 2021. Anyone can help please?

Thanks !

The relay is integrated in the ECU. And it is not very tolerant to higher or lower current consumption of aftermarket turn indicators.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

The relay is integrated in the ECU. And it is not very tolerant to higher or lower current consumption of aftermarket turn indicators.

That's interesting.  Please give some more details, like what happens if you use low current LED signals without load resistors?  My 2020 has incandescent turn signal bulbs and I haven't experimented with LEDs yet.

4 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

That's interesting.  Please give some more details, like what happens if you use low current LED signals without load resistors?  My 2020 has incandescent turn signal bulbs and I haven't experimented with LEDs yet.

You should have the old fashioned separate relay next to the fuel tank.

What we know so far (measured by owners) for the changed 2021 electric that comes with LED turning indicators is: 
-the original LED indicators draw a current of 70-75 mA
-there are 4 ECU outputs to each turning indicator (can't check this right now, to me this sounds strange but ok... )
-within a current range of 45-300 mA for each output the indicator frequency is ok/normal. Outside of this range there's some kind of
 fault signalisation mode with an increased flashing frequency . This range is only roughly measured via trial&error by an user in another forum.
 The current the ECU output has to deliver depends on the electrical power / inner resistance of the turning signal you connect. Ohm's law.

-LED sequential turn signals sometimes seem to irritate the ECU relay outputs (no stable power consumption because of changing number of lit LEDs). Then, the line of LEDs does not build up completely and the new flash starts to early.
One guy fixed this by provoking a basic power consumption with a resistor (min.1W, 180 Ohm), connected parallel to his 1,3 W sequential LED signal

This are only some informations I collected from other peoples experiences, I don't own such a new bike to check the facts by myself.

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 2

Thanks ElGonzales! From your info, I assume that it's not a good idea to mess with turn signals on a 2021+

Thanks!