The MT-07 Forum

Ticking sound but probably not cct just want others opinions

bigtom99

I recently bought this mt07. When I purchased it the engine did not make this ticking sound. I know about the cct rattle but it seems to be coming from the left hand side way more than the right. It sounds extremely valvey and this noise has only started happening after I serviced it and put in yamalube semi synthetic 10w-40 and have no idea what was in the bike before hand. Bike has 26000km and I did take the exhaust off to redo the oil pan gasket and did re use the same copper gaskets 

https://youtu.be/uA4-AgHHjxU

Here is a link to the vid 

Edited by bigtom99

atomkrieg

Sounds just like mine. It's typical for these engines, wouldn't be too worried if I was you. :)

It’s most likely the exhaust gasket not sealing quite right, mine has had a ticking sound sometimes when I’ve reused exhaust gaskets.

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
23 minutes ago, tomlichu said:

Yep, good ol' Yamatick. My makes the same sound too.

Stop mak'in fun of my sewing machine...

About valve clearance I ran my valves close to the tight side of clearance specs most of last season, to test effects, power. Top end ticked but quieter.

If it had no tick, I would have opened that motor and increased valve clearance like right now.  A quiet top end (shim under bucket valves) is ..... bad bad

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
2 hours ago, AP996 said:

It’s most likely the exhaust gasket not sealing quite right, mine has had a ticking sound sometimes when I’ve reused exhaust gaskets.

That's interesting, do you mean the tick is the same but it sounds louder because you hear it thu the leaky gasket?

shinyribs

Certainly not normal, in my opinion, but I don't think anything major is wrong.  Sounds like a loose valve to me, but these engines have been known to go many more kilometers than your bike head without needing adjustment. Mine went over 48,000km and never were touched. So hard to tell from a video, but if all you did was change the oil we can pretty much write off the idea that it's valve noise. 

Highly likely it's just an exhaust leak like AP996 said. Sometimes exhaust leaks give a puffy sound, sometimes it sounds like a tick. It's a 50/50 chance of success when reusing exhaust gaskets. 

Auto decomp mechanism on these engines does produce a tick at idle. It's much quieter and I would only notice it every once in a while. So, since you likely be paranoid for a while, don't let a real faint tick worry you if you replace the exhaust gaskets and this noise goes away and your listening closely for more noises. 

• Premium Member

I put a louder exhaust on mine to fix the tick. :D

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

18 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

That's interesting, do you mean the tick is the same but it sounds louder because you hear it thu the leaky gasket?

Just when I changed the exhaust the first time I immediately had a ticking that sounded very similar to valve gear, I never let it bother me though as I hadn’t done anything else and knew what it must be

Hey all thanks for your replies, I changed the exhaust gasket because I used an old one (new on both sides) still sounds exactly the same I'm just going to ride it for a couple 1000 more km till around next service time and I'm going to take it into Yamaha and get them to adjust the valves and maybe even just have a poke around to see if anything is wrong. I'm more than happy to ride the bike with a tick I just want to know that I'm not damaging the engine by riding around with it if there is a problem 

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone cares I decided to change to fully synthetic Yamalube 10-40 and the sound is basically gone now sounds alot more normal 

• Like 1

Triple Jim

Thanks for the update.  Interestingly, for my 600 mile oil and filter change I ended up using that oil because of a screw-up by Revzilla.  I have enough for a couple more changes, so maybe now I have a little incentive to keep using it.