The MT-07 Forum

MPG

Claude

100% stock 2017 FZ07

Did a 200 km ride this afternoon, back and forth on the highway.

Got 5.0 L/100 km (47 MPG [US]) for the first half and 4.7 L/100 km (50 MPG [US]) for the second half. My speed was 110 kmh (68 mph) indicated (103 kph/64 mph on the GPS). I'm 6 ft tall with 1 inch bar risers.

Kind of surprised (deceived) as those are the numbers I get with my 2017 Kawasaki Versys 1000. I was expecting quite lower consumption on the FZ.

QUESTIONS

1) Is this normal fuel numbers?

2) I currently have a 17T front sprocket I could install. Can I expect lower fuel number with a 17T?

Thanks!

Edited by Claude
Omitted some info

• Global Moderator

Last year I averaged 47.82 mpg (using actual mileage divided by actual fuel purchased).  I do not try to save fuel and have a tune, MWR air filter and lid, no O2 sensor with a stock exhaust.  I was getting almost 58 mpg when it was 100% stock. 

• Like 1

I averaged ~52mpg with a stock ECU. But on a long highway trip fuel mileage would suffer. Cruising above 50-55 mph would drop fuel mileage down to low-mid 40's. Interstate speeds of 79-80+ would drop mpg down in to the 30's. Kept a 17t on hand for long trips and it was good for ~3mpg on the interstate.

Your Versys 1000 engine has an abundance of power and doesn't have to work as hard at those speeds. You probably cruise at a lower throttle opening. Was taking to a guy about his 180hp Speed Triple 1200 and he's getting 50mpg regularly. Gobs of power. Bike never works hard. Sub 100hp bikes tend to lose fuel efficiency when traveling at higher speeds. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shinyribs said:

...Kept a 17t on hand for long trips and it was good for ~3mpg on the interstate...

Was there a noticeable trade off on torque? I was positively surprised by FZ07's torque when I first rode it so I think 17T is quite possibly very acceptable. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Claude said:

Was there a noticeable trade off on torque? I was positively surprised by FZ07's torque when I first rode it so I think 17T is quite possibly very acceptable. Thanks!

It was noticeable, but not a big drop off. It took sightly more effort/timing to wheelie in second gear, but that's about it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

sightly more effort/timing to wheelie in second gear,

Bone stock 22 MT-07.
if not paying attention and just hammering through the gears .. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd will pull front wheel.

Twice I have had it come up on 4th. (trying).

Purely city riding. No highway pulls.
~47 mpg 6'2"  old fat man.

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

• Premium Member
cornerslider

2016 FZ-07, stock motor internals, Hordpower intake, 2WDW ECU flash, Akrapovic Ti exhaust = Mid 50's MPG on the street, 19 MPG on track.... If you ride this bike as it was designed (a "street" bike), it's very efficient. Once you deviate from the design perimeters- all bets are off....

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Triple Jim

I  haven't ridden 68 MPH for any distance, because most of my riding is on back twisty roads.  If I ride a whole tank mostly at 45 mph, I often get into the low 70s MPG.  If I ride around home, some at 60, some around 50, in town, etc., I normally get  mid 60s.  I'm sure if I play around I can get it down in the 50s.

Of course air resistance is a major fuel consumer at high speed, so I'm not surprised at 50 MPG when riding near 70 MPH.

Edited by Triple Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Grant31781

Normal riding I usually get 52 to 55 mpg. 60 to 65mph speeds.  I can push it  over 60mpg riding easy and slow.

• 2 weeks later...
Grant31781

Just filled up it was 56.5 mpg. Moderate acceleration with shifts around 5 to 6k speeds up to 70.

Seeing around 55 mpg on my XSR700 with a Delkevic full exhaust with 18" can and quiet baffle in it.   I don't approach redline often because of the great power from 4000-7000 rpm, seldom over 6000 rpm.  

I've also considered installing the 17T counter shaft sprocket figuring it would take even better advantage of the broad flat torque curve.   I figure it might drop the revs about 500 rpm, which would seem to fit the riding I do.

Not sure what you expect, but hope you find what you want.

• 2 months later...

Man I don't know how you guys are doing it. I blame the wrist...

I'm averageing around 40 mpg on my commute and 25-30mpg on my spirited rides.

Stock tune, akro Ti exhaust, no snorkel on airbox, stock gearing.

I get 35 - 45 mpg. 35 mpg city riding, 45 highway.

Have 2wdw tune with full yoshi exhaust. Snorkel pulled.

• Like 1

Stock 2022 with only 1700 miles on it, I zing it up to 8500-9000 rpm reasonably often. Otherwise I’m cruising in 4500-5000 rpm range. I’m typically seeing mileage in the 56-59 mpg range, don’t think I’ve ever dropped below 55 mpg. 6’2” tall, 205 lbs.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Subito said:

Stock 2022 with only 1700 miles on it, I zing it up to 8500-9000 rpm reasonably often. Otherwise I’m cruising in 4500-5000 rpm range. I’m typically seeing mileage in the 56-59 mpg range, don’t think I’ve ever dropped below 55 mpg. 6’2” tall, 205 lbs.

Could be my fat ass lol. I'm 6' and about 240. I also cruise around 4500-6000 rpm, but rev it out pretty often. 

I was a little disappointed by the mpg based on my initial impression from what people were saying, but I guess it really is up to your wrist. My bike is at 9k miles with OEM spark plugs. I wonder if changing them out will improve mpg a little bit.

8 hours ago, tomlichu said:

I wonder if changing them out will improve mpg a little bit.

Unlikely, unless you're feeling misfiring now.

XSR stock except for full 18" Delkevic exhaust, have gotten around 55 mpg all along, no matter what.   I haven't reset the mpg feature on my dash, still mid 50s.   But then again I take advantage of the beefy power between 3500-5000 rpm most of the time.

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, klx678 said:

...But then again I take advantage of the beefy power between 3500-5000 rpm most of the time.

Me too, the meter thinks I get 49mpg but I've never done any kind of reset with the built in mpg feature. I need to read up if I'm supposed to do anything to "turn it on/begin measure" etc

Resetting the MPG display is trivially easy.  Scroll to that display, and while it's blinking, push and hold the right button.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I glanced at the user manual in toolbox, thinking "I probably should look at this sometime". Bike is a four yr old

Naw, I'm busy dipping the klr carb in Berryman...