The MT-07 Forum

Braking and Shindy (Nissin) Front Brake Radial Master Cylinder Question

klx678

I know Brembo is the best radial master cylinder over all, but still some questions. I want to use the Vortex flat track fatty bars and considering the radial master cylinder because the radial setup will not contact the bars when the clamp is slid in closer to the bend, where the OEM will.

Does anyone here know about the Braking 19mm master cylinder, does it work with a set of the Advic four piston calipers on the Yamaha MT-07 (and as such, the XSR)? Same question about what Nissin (Shindy) kit would work for the same bike? The Brembo is super adjustable, but also quite expensive going around $300, where the Braking is around $236 and the Nissin at around $200 and bot come complete with reservoir and mirror mount clamp cap.  Any thoughts?

The situation is that the bars I want to use are wide in the middle, making the tube for the throttle, brake, and switch short. The outer tube is all 7/8" (22mm) from the top bend to the end, no taper, so no need for any spacer. Moving in from the end, at that first bend where the tube goes down to the handlebar clamp is fat tube 1-1/8" (whatever mm that is). So if I cut an inch off on the right and left side, which needs to be done, the OEM master cylinder will hit the inner fat part of the bar. Left side has no issue. Here is a picture where you can see the problem. The cross bar is removable and I have removed it.

vortex_v3_handlebars118_750x750.jpg

It is a clearance problem with the axial master cylinder having the bore sticking out to the left. I don't have a picture yet, but based on what I see, that protrusion past the clamp will hit. A radial master cylinder doesn't have anything protruding to the left that would hit. That's why the radial master cylinder.

I was going to ask about the Adelin master cylinder, but saw where the lever adjuster threads stripped out on one, and seen where another cheap set had the lever break, so not too hip on them now. But anyone have any comments after using them would be interesting.

One other question if anyone might know, would the Indian FTR1200 master cylinder work on the Advic calipers? I can't seem to find any information for comparisons of caliper piston sizes to see if the calipers might have similar size piston area and there are some FTR1200 master cylinders available for around a buck and a half.

M. Hausknecht

Have you thought about the R6 Brembo-made radial master cylinder? Its $240-250 new and then you'll need to get the hose and remote reservoir. It should fit your application, and it works well with the 07 calipers (I think 16mm bore versus stock 14mm).

I will take a look, but for the same price Braking does the whole package, including the brake light switch, as does Shindy.  One reason I'm looking at them.   Problem is I can't seem to find anyone who has used them.  The Braking is made in Italy.  Seems the Italians like to mess with brakes.

e90e-5d0a4e5da9df9__68456.1678393952.jpg

sweetscience

Everyone including Brembo recommends the 17 mm bore paired to these Stock MT brakes.  Going with the 19 mm will work, but it will be too strong and you will lose the modulation a smaller bore will give.  Is this what you really want?

Carpi Moto from Italy sells Nissin and Brembo brakes at a fair price.

$255 for the brembo RCS kit.  Mirror clamp sold separately. 

$149 Nissin radial 19X21 mm kit.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, sweetscience said:

... too strong and you will lose the modulation a smaller bore will give... what you really want?...

@klx678 knows all this,  he's usually 'esplane-in" this & more to us... I think he's having trouble finding who actually switched up to Braking, Shindy (Nissan) master cylinders on the 07 OEM calipers (pre 2023) that can talk results about it..

Those are good prices you pointed to from Italian Carpi, but then you have to ship it, and he's needing mirror clamp, reservoir, it all adds up

11 hours ago, sweetscience said:

Everyone including Brembo recommends the 17 mm bore paired to these Stock MT brakes.  Going with the 19 mm will work, but it will be too strong and you will lose the modulation a smaller bore will give.  Is this what you really want?

Carpi Moto from Italy sells Nissin and Brembo brakes at a fair price.

$255 for the brembo RCS kit.  Mirror clamp sold separately. 

$149 Nissin radial 19X21 mm kit.

There is more to it than just the piston bore, but the fact is the bigger the piston bore, all else equal, the weaker and more wooden the braking feel.   Big bore decreases the hydraulic leverage, small bore increases the hydraulic leverage - again, all else equal.   But when Brembo was approached on this with their RSC master cylinder they were asked about the 17mm bore versus the OEM 14mm bore.  The answer was that the mechanical leverage of the lever setup makes up the difference.  It isn't just piston size.

If I had to speculate I'd say the radial master cylinder has less travel capabilities versus the axial master cylinder, so they move the needed fluid with a bigger bore, then make up for the leverage difference with the hand lever leverage.

Braking does a 16mm, but odds are it would be too strong and have too much lever travel.   In vendor listings the 16 is recommended for single disc and the 19 for dual disc.  But as @Pursuvant pointed out I'd really like to hear it from a rider or the company.  Brembo explained why the 17 vs the OEM 14, I'd like to hear from Braking themselves or another rider.  I'm just looking at another avenue than doing another 25% more to go with the Brembo.

I got a bit of feedback on Shindy, but only that Hordpower used the small bore cylinder on the Hawk GTs they built, with the single disc, no information on how they work with twin discs.  I haven't gotten any information on the Shindy setup.

Edited by klx678