The MT-07 Forum

Getting this error: Error Number 42 : Speed sensor error / Neutral sensor in short-circuit - DIAG mode 07-21

50Joe

Had to do an engine swap on my FZ07 (mint 632 mile spotless engine off ebay). Dash is triggering this error code: Error Number 42 : Speed sensor error / Neutral sensor in short-circuit - DIAG mode 07-21.  The bike shows the correct gear number and neutral position with green light on dash. I left the speed sensor in the new engine and connected it to the untouched wire harness. Replaced the speed sensor with the one from my old engine. Error code still exists. The wire harness wasn't been messed with. Any ideas on where to look?

Edited by 50Joe
clarification

ElGonzales

Have you tried the procedure to delete the fault code that's explained in the service manual for code 42?

Ignition on (but engine off), rotate the rear wheel by hand. Then start the engine and "input vehicle speed signals by operating the vehicle at 20 to 30 km/h (12 to 19 mph)"

Otherwise the manual recommends to delete the fault with the service tool.

Sounds a little bit like voodoo, but that is what's written.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did not know that. Thank you very much. Waiting on a part for my slipper clutch so I'll do this procedure once it's all buttoned up.