balkor2

Yesterday, 2022 MT-07.

Removed stock springs, replaced with Race Tech springs

image.thumb.png.3f94ecdfecc794da1a43900dbec2ee0c.png
Factory tube utilized
15 weight oil replaced.

IMG_20230514_160601.thumb.jpg.1ee426287804614fdf7e811622650a96.jpg

Does not nose dive any more.

going to give it a couple days rides and then will revisit.
need to change preload?
rear shock adjust?

Edited by balkor2

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

M. Hausknecht

Fork preload might or might not need adjustment. Measure your laden suspension sag, aim for 1 inch minimum to 1.6 inches if you like a bit more compliance. If you need a longer spacer then stock, buy PVC pipe (its easy to cut and cheap). The stock rear shock is marginal, at best, no matter what you do with it. You might want a different rear spring as well.  

• Like 2

This was interesting, I went to the Racetech  website and entered the following rider info:

Modifiers: 
Riding Type: Street
Skill Level: Intermediate/B Class
Stiffness Preference: Standard Stiffness
Lowering: Not Lowered
Rider Weight: 200

And got this fork spring recommendation:

FRONT FORK SPRINGS 

Recommended Front Spring Rate: 0.89 kg/mm (Use closest available)

Stock Front Spring Rate: 0.88 kg/mm (stock).

So it appears the stock springs are not so far off, at least for me.

M. Hausknecht

The data you entered will get you the softest springs for your weight. An advanced rider, a track rider, or a rider looking for a firmer ride would be recommended stiffer springs. I've got .90s on my race 07 but I only weigh 160 and my bike weighs about 335 (much lighter than a street bike). 

• Like 1

True enough. I guess I was expecting the MT-07’s fork to be absolute mush, based on all of the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. By comparison, my previous 2006 Honda CBR600 F4i  (a genuine 600 supersport bike), had something absurd like 0.66kg/mm front springs and was comically soft. It wallowed in fast turns and dove like a mofo on the brakes, I upgraded it to 0.95 Racetech springs and a Gold rebound kit and it was light years better.

I added 0.90 Ractech springs to my 1991 Hawk GT’s fork and it was similarly a major upgrade. Honda and soft fork springs as standard, yikes…

I ride slower now (I’m 68 years old, dammit!), so I may just stick with the MT-07’s stock fork. The bike’s suspension certainly isn’t anywhere near the same level as my naughty F4i, but then neither am I!

Edited by Subito

13 hours ago, Subito said:

0.95 Racetech springs

I went to the 0.98

I like the harder front end. 

13 hours ago, Subito said:

I may just stick with the MT-07’s stock fork.

If your happy. Then that is ALL that matters. Riding is personal.  I would say your not a nubbie or newbie so you know what you know. If it meets your needs then so be it :)

I have the factory springs and will hold onto them. If there is time I wish to switch back or MAYBE this old man (mid 50's) would loose some weight. Like stop drinking beer ;)   I might switch back. 
But hey, I like to experience things so who knows. May never switch back. 

15 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I've got .90s on my race 07 but I only weigh 160

6' 2", if I were to be 160.... ummm Don't have the bone structure either.
But in relation, I bet she has nice feel. That was the first thing I noticed. I had a better feel of the road in the handlebars. Felt more connected.

2022 Yamaha MT-07 Cyan Storm, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 [VN2000A], 1997 Yamaha YZF600R - Thundercat [project]

M. Hausknecht
20 minutes ago, balkor2 said:

I went to the 0.98

I like the harder front end. 

If your happy. Then that is ALL that matters. Riding is personal.  I would say your not a nubbie or newbie so you know what you know. If it meets your needs then so be it :)

I have the factory springs and will hold onto them. If there is time I wish to switch back or MAYBE this old man (mid 50's) would loose some weight. Like stop drinking beer ;)   I might switch back. 
But hey, I like to experience things so who knows. May never switch back. 

6' 2", if I were to be 160.... ummm Don't have the bone structure either.
But in relation, I bet she has nice feel. That was the first thing I noticed. I had a better feel of the road in the handlebars. Felt more connected.

I prefer the immediacy and "feel" of a stiffer suspension but all my riding these days is on race tracks and, usually as part of a race weekend, so going as fast as possible (without falling down too often or too painfully) is my goal. When I stand my 07 on its nose with maximum straight line braking, I like to have an 1/8"-1/4" of fork travel remaining, just in case... while not compromising grip due to lack of suspension compliance. On a bumpy track, that can be a difficult compromise to achieve.

6 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

On a bumpy track,

While I have yet to get on a track. I have been on a few "Track"s where there were several "bumps" and stuff which made me concerned. Now this was a small time no name place which was designed for cars but the thought hitting the corner at some speed which would cause the wheel to loose contact which then cause a slide ... you get the jest. Wasn't keen on the idea of racing there. 

So it is as you said:

9 minutes ago, M. Hausknecht said:

that can be a difficult compromise to achieve.