The MT-07 Forum

Joined the Club recently

That Dude From Now

That Dude From Now

This is my bike Below, it's a 2017 FZ-07. It had like 6500 miles on it the day of purchase about a month ago. I've already put 100's of miles on this bad boy! I love every second of my time riding this thing! After all my research on the bike before and after purchase, it looks to have had an exhaust upgrade, Been told it's got intake as well as ECU flash, but not so sure as the top speed isn't what I'd expect with a proper Dyno tune.  It's got LED kit, R6 throttle tube, I added the windscreen as highway driving at 80+ in Texas can be a bit much. It's got frame sliders, Tail Tidy kit, Handle bar mirrors, Racing grips, and not sure if it's stock or aftermarket, but I think the front break and clutch have been changed, and not sure if the radiator protector is factory, but it's got one there. I've been trying to figure out the ways the 2017 FZ-07 is restricted to possibly undo those restrictions and get it dyno tuned. But for now she's PERFECT. 341998404_627580582183220_4321765786439146467_n.thumb.png.2559e7f66c783fd1489070a770ad65db.png

Side Note: Handle bar shakes and wiggle is something I've noticed, is this normal, and does anyone know a good set of bars that will get rid of the slop in the handlebars?

343299271_646797670794874_7772051281920909645_n.thumb.jpg.109cfb2052196065d7f1a2076df2df92.jpgClean_bike.thumb.jpg.7237c0f5e119055bda8aedfaf75046f4.jpg

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Welcome! I have just a few observations regarding your comments and photos. The bike appears to have a "no-name" after-market exhaust system. You could compare it to some of the exhaust systems on Amazon to see what it might be. The exterior of the airbox is stock, so any modification to the intake system would be limited to one or more of the following: snorkle removed, after-market air filter, and after-market lid on the airbox. 

By itself, a dyno tune on these bikes doesn't add more than a horsepower or two but, properly done, it does improve throttle response and off-on-off throttle transitions. The exhaust might add another horsepower or two, at most. Removing the snorkle from the airbox could get another horsepower or two; an after-market air filter and airbox lid doesn't really add anything beyond removing the snorkle. If the ecu has been flashed (it should have been if the snorkle is removed), there may be a sticker on it identifying the tuner.

Handlebar shake and wiggle is not caused, nor can be it be addressed, by the handlebars. Something else is amiss. The steering head bearings could be loose, swingarm bearings could be loose, front tire could be badly worn or out-of-balance, or a bunch of less common things. I've never used bar end mirrors but others here have, so someone will be able to address whether the mirrors could cause shake/wiggle at higher speeds. 

Congrats on the new toy! 

When you mention the bars wiggling do you mean while riding it they just don't feel solidly attached to the bike? The risers that mount the handle bars don't mount directly to the top yoke. They're mounted in rubber bushings to reduce handlebar vibrations. Common to slip a large washers between the risers and the top you to lock this out. I did it to mine and saw no increase in vibration, but it definitely got rid of the floppy bar feeling. 

If you meant the bars wiggle while riding, is that a Conti Motion front tire? Conti Motions are v good tires and stick like glue, but they made my bars wiggle going down the road. Not enough to be an issue, and it only ever did it when I took both hands off the bars. They never did it on any other bike I put those tires on, and no other tire acted like that on my 07. They just don't jive well with these chassis. 

That Dude From Now
2 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Welcome! I have just a few observations regarding your comments and photos. The bike appears to have a "no-name" after-market exhaust system. You could compare it to some of the exhaust systems on Amazon to see what it might be. The exterior of the airbox is stock, so any modification to the intake system would be limited to one or more of the following: snorkle removed, after-market air filter, and after-market lid on the airbox. 

By itself, a dyno tune on these bikes doesn't add more than a horsepower or two but, properly done, it does improve throttle response and off-on-off throttle transitions. The exhaust might add another horsepower or two, at most. Removing the snorkle from the airbox could get another horsepower or two; an after-market air filter and airbox lid doesn't really add anything beyond removing the snorkle. If the ecu has been flashed (it should have been if the snorkle is removed), there may be a sticker on it identifying the tuner.

Handlebar shake and wiggle is not caused, nor can be it be addressed, by the handlebars. Something else is amiss. The steering head bearings could be loose, swingarm bearings could be loose, front tire could be badly worn or out-of-balance, or a bunch of less common things. I've never used bar end mirrors but others here have, so someone will be able to address whether the mirrors could cause shake/wiggle at higher speeds. 

I should have been more clean the handle bar wiggle isn't at high speeds there's play or "slop" in the bars when sitting at the bike at a stand still, I can slightly move them up and down, this causes excess vibrations in the bars on rides, as we all know the FX-07 is a bit of a harmonic vibration beast, just trying to cut down on that getting to my bars numbing my hands faster than they should be. Thanks for all the insight!

That Dude From Now

The wiggle is what you are referring to just some slop in the handle bars. nothing serious, dangerous, going at high speeds everything is fine. I just notice this when trying to pull up and down on the bars at a stop.

Yeah, that's just the rubber mounts causing that. Normal, but can be eliminated if you choose. It drove me crazy. 

• Like 1