The MT-07 Forum

Pop and Bang Tune

connorvisser98

connorvisser98

Back in March I got an FTECU programming harness for my '19 MT-07 and I was sitting at work the other day and decided to try and make a pop and bang tune, holy was that an understatement. I think an AK/47 tune would be more fitting. I adjusted the ignition to make sure the bike is firing on decel in 1st gear only after TDC. Needless to say it was absolutely rowdy. The CP2 is a fire breathing monster. If anyone wants to piss off their neighbors or blow their buddies minds on a ride lmk and I can send you the tune file. 

Snapchat-2094768841.gif

Everybody likes different things and I get that. I'll still my neck out and be Mr Unpopular Opinion today. 

I was heavy in to drag racing cars in the late '90's up until the 20-teens. Domestic V8's, naturally. Import "tuning" really wasn't much of a thing yet, but boy, did the tuner boys have a chip on their shoulders. They loved to talk smack about our old antiques, but one thing I never could figure out is why they struggled to drive their cars without hitting the rev limiter on EVERY SINGLE SHIFT, and why ( since they were self proclaimed tuners) they couldn't tune an engine to run without backfiring, snorting and missing. Didn't matter, really. Our street driven antiques were making 1,000+ hp and gobs of torque while their technological marvels were sometimes able to make maybe a 1/4 of that. Flash forward 10-15 yrs, and somehow they didn't grow out of poorly tuning engines and sloppy driving with missed shifts and leaning on rev limiters...it because fashionable? I mention this, because going on two decades later and "tuner bros" are still looked down upon as bad attitude posers. It's not a good look for the community. 

Nobody on God's green earth loves a nice exhaust burble on decel and a barking exhaust note from a CP2 than me, but intentional pop and bang? C'mon bro,  but this stuff kinda makes us look dumb and childish. Cops already have it in for us "sport bike" riders. Let's not make this harder for us. These pop and bang tunes are getting so bad that guys with brand new, bone stock cars are having their registration pulled on cars they continue pay the payments on, but are not allowed to operate on the street anymore because they burble a little bit on decel ( which is the emissions system WORKING, but that's another conversation). I street raced screaming 1,500hp big block Chevy's back in the day, so I get it. I'm not being a hypocrite. But I grew up and took my stuff to the track. I know it's all for fun, but intentionally tuning things to annoy people backfired and we've got stricter laws and more pissed off cops than ever before. No need to keep making things worse. Hell, ICE engines in general in jeopardy these days. Let's not fuel that fire. 

You're obviously smart if you figured this tune out by yourself, so do the smart thing and find a way to make this switchable. Keep the tune chill and civilized white in the neighborhood, turn it back to Let's Raise Hell Mode when you're in the secluded back roads hooning with your buddies. 

Nice work figuring it out. The flanges do look good 😊 Be careful out there ✌️

• Like 2

connorvisser98
55 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

You're obviously smart if you figured this tune out by yourself, so do the smart thing and find a way to make this switchable. Keep the tune chill and civilized white in the neighborhood, turn it back to Let's Raise Hell Mode when you're in the secluded back roads hooning with your buddies. 

Absolutely because of where the timing is retarded this condition doesnt just happen, gotta be over 6K RPM and still have 20% throttle to pop. In normal riding without intentionally creating this condition you'd never even know it had been flashed. Nobody wants to be the guy that rolls through suburbia popping and banging when people are trying to sleep!

Edited by connorvisser98

Makes me think of all the people trying to tune out exhaust crackle, especially on the carbureted bikes, that is caused by the lean conditions with the throttle totally closed.   It isn't the pop and bang, but the crackling sound from a bike with a free flowing exhaust.   My KLX650 does this and all that need be done to stop it is slightly cracking the throttle open.   But it isn't obnoxious or overly loud, probably partly due to the combination of the glass packed end silencer and the Supertrapp end cap setup with around 8 discs in it.  

But oddly enough in some of the Corvette forums I found the guys with Vettes were trying to get that exhaust crackle, just like  the racers.   I also learned on the Mikuni site that it is a sign of a well tuned carb system.  The other fix Mikuni and others have mentioned is to jet fat on the idle mix with a bigger pilot.  I'm not doing that, I'll stick with what Mikuni says is the sound of a properly jetted bike.

My old FZ09 had an AIS system which injects clean air on decel to help burn off excess gas to help emission. On high rpm downshifts it made flames like that.

Although it is childish I do miss it. My MT07 with a yoshi has small decel pops but nothing crazy like that. Looks like fun.

I do agree with shinyribs though. I hear pop and bang tunes everyday now, usually the VW or BMW crowd around me. 

• 9 months later...
connorvisser98

Dct9SKv.png

I've got a few messages about this so I made an Imgur gallery with some screenshots from my FTECU software about the changes I made to the fueling and ignition.

Not super clear on the rules here about linking so its imgur.com/a/O9EsSYh